SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#401811 - 04/26/15 08:39 AM Re: The LIFE of a One Man Band...... [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Sorry Donny, thanks for posting this up but I just don't like this guy. Singing Style too over the top, and I don't think he's actually playing anything, jusy hiding behing the piano, and he looks like he from North Jersey or worse Staten Island. LOL !
Only kidding, having that North Jersey look sure worked for the "Jersey Shore" crew.

Here's the best entertainer I've heard around here. Lousy clip but he's very versatile and uses the backing tracks and arranger sparingly so you don't notice it too much. This is his traditional closing song. Plays at a CC every Friday and has a devoted audience of adults who love him. Jim Bannach, also has the BLT band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_oaLllLYE4

Edited by Bill Lewis (04/26/15 08:46 AM)

#401814 - 04/26/15 09:39 AM Re: The LIFE of a One Man Band...... [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

I've seen this guy before great entertainer, I'm so glad I'm out of the bar scene I paid my dues,, it is a hole different ballgame than it was years ago,.... He is mixing it up and the crowd loves him.that is what it's all about playing for the people.

#401817 - 04/26/15 10:05 AM Re: The LIFE of a One Man Band...... [Re: Bill Lewis]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
Sorry Donny, thanks for posting this up but I just don't like this guy. Singing Style too over the top, and I don't think he's actually playing anything, jusy hiding behing the piano....

I agree. I'm glad at least YOU can express a negative opinion of a performance without the wrath of G.. uh, the God-fearing, coming down on you. Maybe next time I have an independently-derived opinion, I'll get YOU to express it for me (you know, just to hold down the 'hate factor').

chas

#401818 - 04/26/15 10:09 AM Re: The LIFE of a One Man Band...... [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada

#401820 - 04/26/15 10:24 AM Re: The LIFE of a One Man Band...... [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

I think we are veering off course or topic worrying about the actual performances posted, that's Not it,...
let's just discuss the overall trials and tribulations of being a PRO One Man Band musician who makes a full time living playing music in the trenches year after year. I understand that some have not even been in front of or experienced a paying audience to play for or have to worry about where you next gig is coming from, and all that goes on behind the scenes to book jobs, advertise, promote, pay your bills, send kids to school, and survive financially only from a life in Music...sure it's possible that is proven, but there is alot involved and needs to be taken seriously when people depend on you. It's all part of the LIFE of a OMB Player...that said here a buddy of mine Bob Hughes in the trenches...

Edited by Dnj (04/26/15 10:41 AM)

#401821 - 04/26/15 10:44 AM Re: The LIFE of a One Man Band...... [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
If all you depend on is your one man band gigs, and it's your sole source of income, things change quite a bit.

Unlike what happens with home players, your Arranger Keyboard then becomes an investment, as does the sound system, and the type of vehicle you buy, just to name only a few main items in your total kit.

Then, in my case at least, there was a backup keyboard and, of course, extra pedals, cables, USB (and at one time floppy disks) backups.

The task of booking and staying booked is another aspect home players, and often traditional instrument sidemen, don't have to be as concerned with, or concerned with at all.

I had a long (and quite successful) run at the solo performer type gigs (i.e. using an arranger)...well over 30 years at least, and it was often a learn-as-you-go proposition, as there were very few in my area working at that type of gig, and the early years were pre-Internet so no real help available like we have now with SZ.

Ian

#401822 - 04/26/15 10:55 AM Re: The LIFE of a One Man Band...... [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Also Ian let's not forget many of us "Old Dogs" were playing in the trenches 10-20yrs with bands or Alone, etc,,,,..
20yrs BEFORE the Internet & DJ's also...a great learning foundation many younger players will never experience or learn from.

Edited by Dnj (04/26/15 10:55 AM)

#401823 - 04/26/15 10:55 AM Re: The LIFE of a One Man Band...... [Re: Bill Lewis]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
... and he looks like he from North Jersey or worse Staten Island. LOL !

HEY ... I RESEMBLE that remark !!! darthvader ... born and raised in SI and proud of it !!! rocker

Only kidding, having that North Jersey look sure worked for the "Jersey Shore" crew.

Especially since most of them were NOT from New Jersey - although a few were from SI redface

#401833 - 04/27/15 05:50 AM Re: The LIFE of a One Man Band...... [Re: tony mads usa]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA

HEY ... I RESEMBLE that remark !!! darthvader ... born and raised in SI and proud of it !!! rocker

Especially since most of them were NOT from New Jersey - although a few were from

I knew that post would get a reaction. As I said only kidding and I grew up across the bueatiful Arthur Kill river from you in Woodbridge. We will never live down the sterotypes of that area. And yes I believe only 1 of the Jersey Shore crew was from NJ. Spent lots of my underage drinking nights over in SI. Later on played the Holiday Inn with its closing time of 3AM . Even had my van broken into there. How did I do it !!
Donny
You got it. No good learning grounds for the new guys . You and the guy I mentioned Jim Bannack are probably the only two OMB entertainers who make a living at it. Its was tough when there was music all over 6 nights a week and now nearly impossible.

#401837 - 04/27/15 07:25 AM Re: The LIFE of a One Man Band...... [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Hey Bill - I assume you are talking about New Jersey when you say the Jim Bannock and Donny are the only entertainers that make a living at it. There are a lot more of us on the Synthzone that manage to make hundreds of dollars every year. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online