SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#401642 - 04/21/15 02:07 PM Keyboards and weight
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Seems a couple of the common topics regarding a keyboard are the weight and cost. I've been following the thread on the new Ketron SD7.

We went through this process when we had both the S950 and Tyros4 trying to decide which board to keep and use for gigs.

I tend to look at the whole picture I guess.

Gig with S950

S950 = 30lbs with case
Two Bose Compacts = 50lbs
Keyboard stand = 15lbs or so
Misc gear, cables, mikes = 10 lbs or so.

Total around 105 lbs to lug to and from the gig.

If we take the Tyros, we now lug about 115 lbs to and from the gig.

For us, it was well worth the extra 10 lbs to lug the Tyros.

Now, I'm guessing for those that go with the SD7, the extra 10 or 15lbs overall weight of over 100lbs of gear hauled to a gig(just a guess here) isn't going to mean much if they get the keyboard they want.

And if the board costs $3,000 but is a significant improvement over the S950 series, at least it's not a $4,500 Tyros.

Just a thought.

#401646 - 04/21/15 03:37 PM Re: Keyboards and weight [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I haul an S-950 around every day - about 30 pounds with a reinforced case
My two-tier X stand tips the scales at 20-pounds
My Quic Lok stool weighs 17-pounds
My custom console weighs 12-pounds
My mic and wire bag weighs less than 5 pounds
The R-10 Rock and Roller cart weighs 30 pounds.
Top tier for rock and roller about 6 pounds
Total weight 120-pounds.

The reason I listed the weight of the cart is because it's something you have to pick up out of the van, set it up, assemble the top tier of the cart, then begin stacking gear to be pushed into the venue. Sometimes, that might mean pushing it up a steep ramp to a loading platform, or handicap ramp. I figure that any way I can lighten the load, the better off I am in the long run.

Now, I like the sound of the Ketron products. They really sounded great when AJ was here with the gang last year, and of course you must keep in mind that AJ is one Hell of a good musician and singer, which, naturally, enhances the overall sound of the product. However, I also like the sound of what I currently use, it has made me hundreds of dollars, and it's about as lightweight as I can get. Today, with my nasty back problems, I picked up the S-950 to put it in the case and it felt like it weighed a lot more than 23 pounds, but that's because I'm not young and virile like Don Mason or Chas. I would have hated to have another 10 pounds to lift from that keyboard stand and place in the case today. Ouch!

The price really means nothing to me anymore. As I stated in another post, that would be an extra $2,000 above and beyond what I could likely sell the S-950 for on Ebay. At this stage of the game, I think I'll just spend that 2-grand on sailing and green coconut Margarettas. wink

Just thinking back to the days when I had those Peavey Sp1G speakers that tipped the scales at 105-pounds each, powered with a 45-pound powered mixer and it took a half dozen trips to the van with a refrigerator dolly to unload the gear into the American Legion where I performed every Friday night. We sure have come a long way since then.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#401650 - 04/21/15 07:54 PM Re: Keyboards and weight [Re: guitpic1]
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
I don’t know what others think; but, at this senior age, weight is a major consideration. Sure, I enjoy a reliable, great-sounding board as much as the next person. But a 50 to 60 lb. keyboard that sounds ten times better than the Tyros 5 and costs $500 wouldn’t get a purchase response from me----especially for carrying around. The S950 is about as heavy as I want to go for live play. The T5 stays at the house for personal recording and making backing tracks for singers.

#401651 - 04/21/15 09:29 PM Re: Keyboards and weight [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
My PA 900 is about the weight of s950. If the next one I get is too heavy I'll just pay somebody to load it.
I love the Korg PA 900 but there are a few features I miss from the totl kbs such as pa3x.
My other gear is all very light. KB stand about 5 pounds, two Bose Compacts, stool is on rollers, mixer, laptop, recorder, power supplies all fit in lightweight case. Whole thing weighs about 15 pounds. Top lifts off and becomes sign with my name on it. The gear stays in the case, which sets on the top tier of my KB stand.
I'll bet the total weight of all my gear is about 100 pounds if you don't count my chair. I leave that where I work most of the time. I have another one for other jobs.
I'll try to find a photo.

#401654 - 04/22/15 12:10 AM Re: Keyboards and weight [Re: DonM]
Bachus Offline

As a home player, i prefer systems that are being build from sturdy parts like metal instead of cheap plastics... Weight is of no concern to me...

For example the build quallity of a good olg G70 outshines the Tyros 5....

http://keyszone.boards.net

#401657 - 04/22/15 02:32 AM Re: Keyboards and weight [Re: guitpic1]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
To be the Devils advocate, while recognizing that there are some of us that have physical infirmities, others may be be overly concerned with the weight factor.

I am turning 74, am in good health, and weight train three times a week. I also have a plethora of choices of what to take to a gig. At times I find myself choosing my S910 instead of my Audya because of the weight. In rethinking this choice, I may find that this may not be the best choice when considering other factors, such as set up time, better sound, and music loaded in the particular KB.

I have always tried to be the best I can be regardless of the job I am going to. However, I must admit that sometimes I rationalize and think they won't know the difference. Maybe and maybe not, but my attitude towards excellence may be slipping in favor of laziness or convenience.

Many of you play more than the five times a week I do, so weight may be more of a factor.

#401658 - 04/22/15 03:22 AM Re: Keyboards and weight [Re: Bachus]
Mockie Offline

Loc: Dublin Ireland
Originally Posted By: Bachus

Bachus, I agree, I was amazed at the low quality build of the great sounding Tyros 5

#401659 - 04/22/15 03:24 AM Re: Keyboards and weight [Re: Bachus]
Mockie Offline

Loc: Dublin Ireland
Originally Posted By: Bachus

Bachus, I agree, I was amazed at the low quality build of the great sounding Tyros 5

DOUBLE POST SORRY Frank

Edited by Mockie (04/22/15 03:27 AM)

#401661 - 04/22/15 05:17 AM Re: Keyboards and weight [Re: guitpic1]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
After a long time with a G1000 in a hard case I'm lovin my 16 lb Bk9 in a padded case. Since I stand up my keyboard on end on my R&R cart I may go back to a hard case.
My JBL515s in carry bags are a big help too. about 35 lbs with the bags. More power than I'll ever need.

#401662 - 04/22/15 05:28 AM Re: Keyboards and weight [Re: guitpic1]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I don't mind the extra weight of the Tyros4 (which weighs 31 lbs) over a MOTL like S950/S910 because of the extra features that I find important for my style of play.

Having the more responsive FSX keybed (with aftertouch) and the incredibly expressive SA2 solo voices, both of which are so far exclusive to the Tyros line (in regards to portable arrangers) are very necessary to me because 99% of my performances involve playing instrumentals, and I want the best sounds (and optimum control over them) I can acquire.

I consider any instrument (with case) over 40 lbs too heavy for gigging, and the same goes for amplification/speakers.

I'm like Bernie and I try to be the best I can be regardless of the job.

Ian

#401663 - 04/22/15 05:34 AM Re: Keyboards and weight [Re: guitpic1]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Sorry Ian,

Not exclusive to Tyros. Standard Audya does the same & the Ajamsonic upgrade the same as your SA2 voices as well.

Just thought I'd put that in context.

Henni

#401664 - 04/22/15 06:24 AM Re: Keyboards and weight [Re: Henni]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Henni
Sorry Ian,

Not exclusive to Tyros. Standard Audya does the same & the Ajamsonic upgrade the same as your SA2 voices as well.

Just thought I'd put that in context.

Henni

Sorry Henni...of course, I should have been more specific and said "within the Yamaha line".

I haven't even seen an Audya (no one locally carries the product) let alone play one, so I have no idea what they are using.

In any case, Yamaha's SA2 voices are wonderfully expressive, especially with the FSX and aftertouch, which is why the Tyros4 sits proudly on my keyboard stand.

Lately I'm using it (and its terrific Motif related synthesizer voices) for making ethereal soundtracks for religious videos, which is kind of ironic considering I'm an atheist ..but money is money.

The Audya, at a relatively portly 38 lbs (without the case) doesn't fit within my weight constraints, so it wouldn't be a consideration even if it was available.

Ian

#401667 - 04/22/15 07:37 AM Re: Keyboards and weight [Re: ianmcnll]
Bernie9 Offline

You are a lot bigger than I am Ian. Maybe I am carrying too much weight and don't know it. Just kidding old buddy.

#401669 - 04/22/15 08:01 AM Re: Keyboards and weight [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Bernie, Ian works out clearing the snow from around his car for most of the year. You and I would rather pick up coconuts from the lawn, and hot ladies at the tiki bars. wink

Gary cool

#401670 - 04/22/15 08:10 AM Re: Keyboards and weight [Re: Bernie9]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted By: Bernie9
You are a lot bigger than I am Ian. Maybe I am carrying too much weight and don't know it. Just kidding old buddy.

This reply got me thinking.

Members are really concerned about the 10 lbs extra for a keyboard. They should also be thinking about the extra work, and strain on their body they are doing carrying around the extra 10, 20, 30, 40+ lbs around their waistline.

Loosing those extra lbs, and staying in shape would make lifting the gear a lot easier, especially with the warm weather coming up.

Stay healthy,

Jerryghr

PS: I have a musician friend 80 yrs young, that stays in shape. If he is at one of my jobs, he comes over and offers to help me pack. He pops those EV SX100 speakers (32 lbs) off the speaker stands with no problem. Then carries them out to the car with one in each hand.

Edited by Jerryghr (04/22/15 08:22 AM)

#401671 - 04/22/15 08:29 AM Re: Keyboards and weight [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Jerry, I looked in the mirror yesterday morning, and there was a beer bellied old fart staring back at me. This morning, I went back on the South Beach Diet. I figure I have to lose about 30 pounds to get me back down to slim and trim and make my vests fit better.

I'm told by all the doctors I see that I'm really in pretty good shape, but I know better. Yeah, I can still lift the gear, sail the boat and raise those 100-pound sails up the mast, ride a bicycle 5 miles a day, but when my back went out in early March I thought the world as I know it came to an end. Damned that hurts. I went to a surgeon yesterday, he was a quack, I got the Hell out of there as fast as I could. Gonna make an appointment with a real doctor this morning. For you youngsters, that extra 10 pounds seems like nothing, and for the most part, the weight is almost insignificant. For us old farts leading a somewhat sedentary lifestyle, 10 pounds of added keyboard weight is a lot.

All the best,

Gary cool

#401672 - 04/22/15 08:48 AM Re: Keyboards and weight [Re: Jerryghr]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Jerryghr

This reply got me thinking.

Members are really concerned about the 10 lbs extra for a keyboard. They should also be thinking about the extra work, and strain on their body they are doing carrying around the extra 10, 20, 30, 40+ lbs around their waistline.

Loosing those extra lbs, and staying in shape would make lifting the gear a lot easier, especially with the warm weather coming up.

Hah, Bernie, I may be big, and relatively strong, but I'm also extremely lazy.

Jerry, I try to keep my weight under 200 lbs as I am 6'1", and the only way that's possible is to be very careful of what I eat, since I'm too lazy to do much exercise, other than lots of walking.

Having health issues a few years ago, with subsequent surgery also taught me how important it is to keep a balance of work and leisure, and to stay away from any gig work that may be stressful.

Now, because I'm financially okay due to a pension, I can be picky with the type (and amount) of work I do take on, and I avoid any negative situations and people...it helps a lot.

Ian the Indolent

#401673 - 04/22/15 08:49 AM Re: Keyboards and weight [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Gary good luck on the SBD...in a few months you'll be looking & feeling good again.......
I'm 3 weeks ahead of you started April 1,...before you know it we'll be back down to gigging weight again slim & trim!!

Attachments
dpgary.jpg

#401674 - 04/22/15 08:52 AM Re: Keyboards and weight [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Wow! I remember that photo. I weighed 175 at that point.

Gary cool

#401675 - 04/22/15 09:23 AM Re: Keyboards and weight [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I was 6'5", 175 in high school. I'm still 6'5".
And the 75 part of the weight is still about right.
I've lost 25 pounds since my surgery, but still a long way to go. Just finished a salad. Yum.
Going fishing now! Don't have to work until Friday and Saturday nights. smile

#401676 - 04/22/15 10:12 AM Re: Keyboards and weight [Re: Dnj]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Looks like we have some interest in weight other than equipment.
I am going to start a topic at the bar so we can keep each other motivated, challenge each other, and keep us on tract for our fitness goals.

Meet you at the bar.

Jerryghr

#401685 - 04/22/15 01:11 PM Re: Keyboards and weight [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
You and I would rather pick up coconuts from the lawn, and hot ladies at the tiki bars. wink
Gary cool

... and when was the last decade THAT happened ?!? dancers

#401686 - 04/22/15 02:17 PM Re: Keyboards and weight [Re: guitpic1]
Bernie9 Offline

Well, one out of two ain't bad and I bet you can guess which one. I starts with C and ends with T. No the other one.

#401688 - 04/22/15 02:55 PM Re: Keyboards and weight [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Tony, are you saying you need lessons? wink

cheers,

Gary cool

#401689 - 04/22/15 02:56 PM Re: Keyboards and weight [Re: guitpic1]
ianmcnll Offline

Well, one out of two ain't bad and I bet you can guess which one. I starts with C and ends with T. No the other one.

#401691 - 04/22/15 03:10 PM Re: Keyboards and weight [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Wow! I remember that photo. I weighed 175 at that point.

Gary cool

Yes good buddy fun times for sure!! I'm down 21 so far ...
got a lot more to go, did it once 100lbs, & can do it again.. party

Edited by Dnj (04/22/15 03:12 PM)

#401695 - 04/22/15 08:46 PM Re: Keyboards and weight [Re: Jerryghr]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Jerryghr

By coincidence, that's exactly what I was thinking about on my gig tonight. It was a full one man band + DJ so I had to carry extra equipment.

Like Bernie, I weight-train 3x a week (started when I was a kid). A few months ago when I was on a lay-off I remember carrying that equipment and straining to move it from here to there.

Now, I've been on a special training program using heavier weights and a high-protein diet these past few weeks. Tonight I found I lifted that equipment with NO strain at all. It went up and down like it was on a pulley.

At the end of the night, when I had to load the van again, I forced myself to change my thinking from "I'm starting to get tired" to "how wonderful that I could play music and exercise at the same time." And I don't think anything else until I'm home, unloaded, hot-showered, and in bed.

Every piece of gear you lift is using your unused muscles. It's even better than weight-lifting where you exercise certain parts only. Raising that gear up and down is a total body workout.

I get through a lot of life that way. One of the mantra's in motivational/Spiritual thinking is....

"Change your thoughts, change your life"

Mark

#401697 - 04/23/15 01:07 AM Re: Keyboards and weight [Re: guitpic1]
Bernie9 Offline

Very good Mark.

It is all in the mental approach.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online