SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#401620 - 04/21/15 03:46 AM Re: iPad Disappointment [Re: Torch]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
What I have found.

I had been using Pdf files with the UnReal Book until I found the OnSong App for my IPad.
Once a PDF file is made there can be no changes. Any change that is made requires redoing the process.

With OnSong you can:

1-Change the fonts
2-Add a new thought without redoing the process.
3-OnSong can handle PDF files much like the UnReal Book
4-Combine files
5-Transpose instantly
6-Add add information in color to the song.
7-Change the color of the chords above the lyrics so the page is easier to reed
And more.

John C.

#401624 - 04/21/15 06:23 AM Re: iPad Disappointment [Re: KORG80]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Hi - wow - transpose instantly?! My PDFs files are scans from books and sheets etc. so basically they are "photos". unrealBook (and other PDF viewers) can display them, let you add annotations (text and lines and such) on top of them, etc. - but I can't see how any app could transpose instantly if you have a PDF file - unless that PDF is some 'special' music file??

I'm assuming that in OnSong, you're using something other than PDF files perhaps, such as generating the songs (lyrics + chords) right in the OnSong app? Since I have ~1,200 songs now as PDFs, I'm not likely to want to re-enter them in a new app ... I've kind of "gone down the PDF path" and probably will stay with that.

FYI, with unrealBook, you can make some changes to PDFs - mostly along the lines of "annotating" by adding "on top of" the PDF files (lines, colors, circle something, underline, highlight, add text, etc.)

-Jin

#401625 - 04/21/15 07:24 AM Re: iPad Disappointment [Re: KORG80]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Jim,

I don't think you could convert your scanned pages until they've been converted to text files using a reader program. Then they could be saved as PDF files, which would then allow the transpose feature to be used. A .jpg file cannot be transposed, which is what most of the scanned pages are - .jpg files.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#401630 - 04/21/15 10:42 AM Re: iPad Disappointment [Re: travlin'easy]
KORG80 Offline

Last night I discovered what TORCH is alluding to with the PDF format. Although I cannot see the chord sheets(no FLASH)I can download which gives me a PDF file. I also discovered that I can"Open in iBooks" This puts my file into iBooks where it can be viewed and stored. Files can be organized into folders but since that iBook database is searchable, typing in a bit of the song title brings it right up. Not sure if a Bluetooth page turner would turn from page one to two. These files are never more than two pages long.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

God Bless,
Don

#401635 - 04/21/15 12:35 PM Re: iPad Disappointment [Re: BBBB]
KORG80 Offline

Thanks Brian! It was your text that set me on the path to the solution.

God Bless,
Don

#401636 - 04/21/15 12:36 PM Re: iPad Disappointment [Re: KORG80]
Torch Offline

On some web sites where download is not possible or doesn't even allow the right mouse click, I use the screen capture function and then it can be converted into PDF.

I use a Bluetooth pedal whether or not my music is all single pages. That way I can move between songs without touching the screen.

Chris
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#401639 - 04/21/15 01:50 PM Re: iPad Disappointment [Re: bruno123]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Jin,
Sorry, I was not very clear with my explanation.

OnSong can handle PDF files in the same manner as the UnReal Book, it is a photo. I use the PDF files when I need the notes. OnSong allows me to do the things I listed in my last post.

At one time I used a program that showed staff and notes – I did not need the melody line so I began using lyrics with chords written above. I did not scan form books or sheets because I had over 900 songs in my PC. If I needed a new song I downloaded from the internet.

The midi player VanBasco will give you a word doc. of the lyrics. There are many places to get free lyrics. My job was to add the chords and then print them and place it into my book. Six books were a bit heavy.

Which one is better PDF or OnSong? Wrong question; which one fits your needs would be a better.

John C.

PS, Gary your thought about using a laptop is solid – and you are right it does it all. For me the IPad is a multiple toy/tool. I have everything from Bibles to fun stuff – and I carry it just about everywhere. But – the laptop thought has not left me.

#401640 - 04/21/15 01:53 PM Re: iPad Disappointment [Re: BBBB]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
The Apple iPad, and anything Apple for that matter, lives in it's own world. Apple communicates and operates the way it wants to and does not adapt very well to any other form digital information or transfer.

I do have an iPad air. It's o.k. However, information transfer and format is a lot easier between my P.C. and my Tyros than the iPad.

For years, I avoided buying anything Apple, and I teach part time where a good share of the education world I know only knows how to run an Apple product. But I also knew that interacting with keyboards, PC's and you name it was going to be more difficult with IOS/Apple.

Bottom line. You buy an Android product...you do your thing your way. You buy an Apple product, you do your thing the way Apple wants you to do it...and it's usually a lot more $$$.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online