SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#401279 - 04/10/15 11:11 AM Re: PA900 newbie type questions [Re: DonM]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: DonM
I use the Performances to have instant access to my go-to sounds.
I use Songbook where I would have used registrations in Yamaha.
It is a very powerful and versatile tool!

Plus one even though I'm using the Pa3x not the PA900

#401284 - 04/10/15 01:52 PM Re: PA900 newbie type questions [Re: Stephenm52]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
cass... a couple of quick tips ...

1) If you are playing a style and want to choose a sound from the Performances, make sure the style change indicator is OFF, otherwise your style will change along with the voice ...

2) If you want to go from one SMF or mp3 to another, as Don said, that is best done using both players ... You can be playing an SMF in Player 1, press Player 2 on the screen, go to your song book (either on the on-board disk or USB drive - I always use a USB drive) find the song you want and hit select ... it will load into Player 2 ... when you want to start playing it, you just press the Player 2 'Play' button (make sure you move the
player volume slider to Player 2)...
that allows you to go from one song directly into the next with the use of the player volume slider (like a DJ [cough, cough wink ] might) ...

If you are playing a song in Player 1 and go to your song book to find another song, once you hit select that song will load into Player 1 and the current song will stop playing ... you will then have to hit the Player 1 play button for the new song to start ...

#401468 - 04/16/15 06:21 PM Re: PA900 newbie type questions [Re: cassp]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I will be christening the 900 tomorrow; wish me luck. I haven't added anything to the Songbook yet and all my style songs are marked in grease pencil in my folder. SMFs are loaded on USB just like in the Yammy. Haven't practiced with the harmonizer, but feel confident it will work as I expect.

It's only for an hour, but I'll have a good read on the pros and cons of the board and my needs for more prep.

#401469 - 04/16/15 07:05 PM Re: PA900 newbie type questions [Re: cassp]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
You wrote on the display with a grease pencil? wink

Good luck with the christening tomorrow,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#401477 - 04/17/15 05:19 AM Re: PA900 newbie type questions [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Go to it cass ... I'm sure you will love it ... just go easy on the VH until you've had a chance to try some of them out and do some EQ ...

#401506 - 04/17/15 05:40 PM Re: PA900 newbie type questions [Re: cassp]
cassp Offline

Well, I made it thru the hour and the audience liked the entertainment. I wasn't that pleased with myself. Luckily, I reset all my style song so I was well prepared to cover the hour with styles only - which is exactly what I had to do. I couldn't seem to get my SMFs loaded properly, so a good part of my regular repitroire was unavailable. I kept the VH quiet and basically only tried to use it a few times.

I need to work on loading my songs better. I want to see the STSs on the bottom of the screen most of the time; I was weak on that. I've got to that chapter on pedal outs again. I don't know if I'll need my expression pedal with the way the organ sounds are set up, and I want to use a pedal switch to either. Move thru the styles or cut the VH in and out.

I think my years of experience got me thru this one today. I've got a few more sessions before I'll feel confident using all the features, but I do like this keyboard.

One last question or two. Is there a replacement songbook that has the correct titles? Can I make a new songbook or selected list from scratch? Thanks.

#401899 - 04/30/15 07:58 AM Re: PA900 newbie type questions [Re: cassp]
cassp Offline

If only I knew...

Got a brand new board and bag, but longing for the s950. I've read and experimented and even been successful at making the the Pa900 follow my wishes. But, I'm thinking the s950 does a few things I like better. Let me tell you:

The helicon VH is not as good as my Harmony M, definitely not as good as the G70. So far I'm very disappointed.
The upper voices 1,2,3 are not as easily accessible as the buttons on the s950.
It doesn't seem possible to assign an expression pedal to only one upper voice.
I'm still struggling with the dashboard layout. That I can overcome. But, WTH were they thinking when they tied STS to sound selection? What a Pain in the ass.

I'm stuck with this board for now. I'll continue to work with it and I will get better at maneuvering around. I may even get to really like it, BUT for now I'd be seriously tempted to contact the buyer of my s950 and see if he'd like to trade it back. I'll be looking very intently at any new successor of the s950.

#401900 - 04/30/15 08:15 AM Re: PA900 newbie type questions [Re: cassp]
Dnj Offline

Sorry to hear that Cass.... Good luck getting back the s950

#401902 - 04/30/15 09:19 AM Re: PA900 newbie type questions [Re: cassp]
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
Hi Cass

Check your manual!

As an example, imagine you have a Piano sound assigned to
Upper 1, and a Strings sound assigned to Upper 2. If you turn
the Expression switch on on Upper 2, and off on Upper 1, you
can use a continuous pedal to control only the Strings’ volume,
while the Piano remains unchanged.

STS are sound selections do you mean variations linked to sound selections. This can be changed using the STS mode button.

This button turns the Single Touch and Variation/STS Link
functions on or off.

On -- When a different Style (or the same again) is
selected, a Single Touch Setting (STS1) is automatically
selected. The Keyboard sounds and effects will change, along with the Style sounds and effects. Pad sounds will change too.

Flashing -- Variation/STS Link function activated. This function
makes each Variation recall the corresponding
STS when selected. For example, select
Variation 2, and STS 2 will be automatically
recalled; select Variation 3, and STS 3 will be
automatically recalled.

Off -- When you select a different Style (or the same
again), the Style sounds and effects will change,
as well as Pad sounds. The Keyboard sounds and
effects will not change.

Hope this helps

I have just acquired a PA800 which works in pretty much the same way. There is a renamed songbook I'll see if I can find it for you.

Col

#401903 - 04/30/15 09:26 AM Re: PA900 newbie type questions [Re: cassp]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The only one that for which there is not apparent fix is the missing sound select buttons. I find it a little inconvenient to have to use the touch screen for that.
Actually I almost always use the Performance banks to change sounds anyway. Just be SURE the Style Change light is off or you will be surprised when the style changes too!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online