SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#400933 - 03/29/15 05:38 AM Re: Wanted to Share Amazing Vocal... [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Ian the same goes for "Playing an Instrument Gyration" over using emotions.....
I see that all the time it's a weird Phenomenon and looks so fake most of the time..

#400935 - 03/29/15 05:55 AM Re: Wanted to Share Amazing Vocal... [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I look at it this way...just because some can pull off these intricate phrasings (and that includes instrumentalists like Kenny G for example), doesn't mean that they have to use, or, in most cases, overuse them.

Or, in other words, give someone a hammer, and they will find that everything they run into needs hammering.

Ian

#400936 - 03/29/15 06:15 AM Re: Wanted to Share Amazing Vocal... [Re: KORG80]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: KORG80

This type of singing is pretty common in the modern Rhythm and Blues genre, which is nothing like the Wilson Pickett, James Brown, Stevie Winwood R&B that we grew up with.

Uh, I didn't grow up with "Stevie Winwood". Maybe you meant "Steve Wonder" smile smile. But in general, you are correct. The problem here is that what you are criticizing is a vocal STYLE which you either don't like, don't feel, or don't understand (or all three). The young lady clearly has near-perfect pitch, an incredible vocal range, flawless timing, and that most important quality for singing this type of song, SOUL.

As far as being too "emotive" or overdoing the "vocal gyrations", I'd rather HAVE the skills (with the ability to 'dial it back') than to not have it, producing endless streams of bland, soulless renditions of bland, soulless songs.

How quickly we forget that (our response to) music is a subjective thing shaped by culture, familiarity, and OUR OWN ABILITY TO FEEL EMOTION (remember the initial reaction to Elvis from the 'mainstream'). I was just listening to Christina Agulera's version of Leon Russel's "A song for you" with Herbie Hancock. Most would agree that she is an incredible singer (else Herbie wouldn't be working with her). There are enough 'vocal gyrations' there to create a tidal wave, but I think she captures the spirit of the song perfectly. Sure, 'different strokes for different folks', but for ME, I hesitate to criticize a vocal performance based on the singer's choice of a style I'm either not familiar with or not comfortable with. JMO.

chas

#400937 - 03/29/15 06:22 AM Re: Wanted to Share Amazing Vocal... [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

I have to agree with Chas......... cool2

If I posted it & listen without the visual you wouldn't have these comments ...after all who are we to judge anyway?

Attachments
Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You - Amanda Cole cover.mp3 (14 downloads)

#400938 - 03/29/15 06:29 AM Re: Wanted to Share Amazing Vocal... [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
I see that all the time it's a weird Phenomenon and looks so fake most of the time..

Donny, your first instinct was to like this performance. Don't be a politician and start 'walking it back'. Stick with your 'gut' and don't be swayed by those who would have you doubting your own musical sensibilities. You're a talented guy and it takes one to know one. It's a lot easier to criticize than to do.

chas

#400939 - 03/29/15 06:57 AM Re: Wanted to Share Amazing Vocal... [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles
Originally Posted By: Dnj

Donny, your first instinct was to like this performance. Don't be a politician and start 'walking it back'. Stick with your 'gut' and don't be swayed by those who would have you doubting your own musical sensibilities. You're a talented guy and it takes one to know one. It's a lot easier to criticize than to do.

chas

Well said Chas....I just wanted to give two examples so that all aspects are out in the open. I stand behind my initial opinion that this girls can sing her Butt off!! ....NUFF SAID!!

#400940 - 03/29/15 07:58 AM Re: Wanted to Share Amazing Vocal... [Re: Dnj]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Great vocals for sure . No need to over analyse this .

#400941 - 03/29/15 08:53 AM Re: Wanted to Share Amazing Vocal... [Re: spalding1968]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: spalding1968
Great vocals for sure . No need to over analyse this .

#400945 - 03/29/15 09:25 AM Re: Wanted to Share Amazing Vocal... [Re: ianmcnll]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
This beautiful girl took this song and she made it her own.Her vocal quality is outstanding,also the whole arrangment of the song is so beautiful. Definitely not a retirement home entertainment material.Not that anything is wrong with that. laugh

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#400955 - 03/29/15 01:40 PM Re: Wanted to Share Amazing Vocal... [Re: cgiles]
KORG80 Offline

Ian has given me the correct musical term for this. In my opinion, as a singer who enjoys pretty much all styles of music "melisma" is as overused in modern music as "auto tune", first introduced to us by Cher and now pushed at us by many of the hip hop and modern R&B singers.

And Charles if you grew up in the 60's you must have missed Britain's Steve Winwood and His Spencer Davis Band...........

"Gimme Some Lovin"
"Keep On Runnin"
"Somebody Help Me"

You can show emotion by varying timbre, volume and dynamics. You don't need to slide up and down all over the scale on one syllable to create interest in your music.
I will admit that probably many people enjoy this. But I certainly don't.

Now don't get your back up my friend!

God Bless,
Don

Edited by KORG80 (03/29/15 01:40 PM)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online