SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#400683 - 03/19/15 10:48 PM Electone technollogy
Bachus Offline

For those who are interested in new technollogy, Yamahas Electone organs that released last year have a lovely new feature, that i would love to see in more arrangers..

The so called solo/lead voices only sound on the highest note played.. they are monophopnic. which againallows for a lot of fun thigns, espescially for piano players that allready use their righ hand for both chords and mellody line, its how many of my piano arrangements (notes) work..

also you can add your bass notes to the lowest note played (instead of the pedals)

according to their user manuall there is a new voice/synthesis type, next to AWM there also are VA voices.. which pretty much sound like another step further away from PCM for the SA voices.. they are next gen.

another interesting thing, on the expression pedal there are two switches, left and right, which can be programmed.

Organ mode allows you to combine new organ sounds by combining things from their 3 drawbar type of organs.

I bumped into an English version of the ELS 02 owners manuall

http://keyszone.boards.net

#400686 - 03/20/15 02:56 AM Re: Electone technollogy [Re: Bachus]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Top note mono voices came out in the 70s and were fitted to virtually all organs; arrangers achieve this using the right hand auto chord feature. (One of the many menu options)

Bass to lower has been available on organs from the 70s with arrangers adding the feature in the 90s. (You will find it in the chord recognition menu)

VA (Virtual Acoustic) voices were introduced by Yamaha in the 90s with the EL 00 series and use sound modelling rather than just sampling, (A lot of organ manufactures use their own variations) and are more flexible than the layer switching (SA/SA2 voices) of Yamaha Arrangers.

Switches on the side of expression pedals (Arrangers are just volume pedals) came about because all the organist limbs were doing other things, however as most arranger players don’t have bass pedals, standard foot switches can be used.

Organ mode (Different manufactures have their own names) has also been around for decades.

Remember organs are designed to be played, with the extra features added to allow more expressive playing, whereas arrangers are easy play (Press a button and everything is done for you) designed for the home hobby player who wants to sound good with minimal effort. (The exception is Lowrey Organs who take easy play to a whole new level, but can still be played as an organ)

Bill

#400687 - 03/20/15 04:00 AM Re: Electone technollogy [Re: abacus]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: abacus
Top note mono voices came out in the 70s and were fitted to virtually all organs; arrangers achieve this using the right hand auto chord feature. (One of the many menu options)

Bass to lower has been available on organs from the 70s with arrangers adding the feature in the 90s. (You will find it in the chord recognition menu)

VA (Virtual Acoustic) voices were introduced by Yamaha in the 90s with the EL 00 series and use sound modelling rather than just sampling, (A lot of organ manufactures use their own variations) and are more flexible than the layer switching (SA/SA2 voices) of Yamaha Arrangers.

Switches on the side of expression pedals (Arrangers are just volume pedals) came about because all the organist limbs were doing other things, however as most arranger players don’t have bass pedals, standard foot switches can be used.

Organ mode (Different manufactures have their own names) has also been around for decades.

Remember organs are designed to be played, with the extra features added to allow more expressive playing, whereas arrangers are easy play (Press a button and everything is done for you) designed for the home hobby player who wants to sound good with minimal effort. (The exception is Lowrey Organs who take easy play to a whole new level, but can still be played as an organ)

Bill
offcourse i didnt compare it to organs, my fault, i compared it to my Tyros 5.. And noticed these features that seem very welcome on my T5

The bass and the solovoice features should be available tough on the Korg Pa voice structure, as its much much more programmable then the Tyros range..

Edited by Bachus (03/20/15 04:00 AM)

#400689 - 03/20/15 07:35 AM Re: Electone technollogy [Re: Bachus]
Bachus Offline

It also has horizontal touch....

Just look at 1:55 in the video... Aftertouch uses pressure downwards, horizontal touch allows you to add effects by moving finger from left to right...

#400691 - 03/20/15 08:27 AM Re: Electone technollogy [Re: Bachus]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Bachus
It also has horizontal touch....Aftertouch uses pressure downwards, horizontal touch allows you to add effects by moving finger from left to right...

Horizontal touch was on the earlier Electone organs...my Yamaha D-85 triple manual organ had it on the uppermost keyboard...that was back in 1980.

A very nice feature indeed.

It's quite likely other organ manufacturers had something similar around the same time period.

Ian

#400692 - 03/20/15 08:29 AM Re: Electone technollogy [Re: ianmcnll]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
It also has horizontal touch....Aftertouch uses pressure downwards, horizontal touch allows you to add effects by moving finger from left to right...

Horizontal touch was on the earlier Electone organs...my Yamaha D-85 triple manual organ had it on the uppermost keyboard...that was back in 1980.

It's quite likely other organ manufacturers had something similar around the same time period.

Ian

I know its not new, it was in the very first electone, the GX-1, and now its back from being gone..

#400694 - 03/20/15 09:08 AM Re: Electone technollogy [Re: Bachus]
ianmcnll Offline

I know its not new, it was in the very first electone, the GX-1, and now its back from being gone..

Due to my job as Electone instructor, I was fortunate to have played a GX-1 at Yamaha headquarters...also played the EX-42, which was one of their first stage models, some of the perks of being an Electone instructor.

One of my favorite early Electones, besides the D-85 I owned, was the E-75, and both these organs featured Yamaha's PASS (Pulse Analog Synthesis System) in a console cabinet and were very close relatives to the monstrously heavy and monstrously sounding CS-80 synthesizer.

There is a good timeline regarding Yamaha products here: http://www.yamaha.co.jp/manual/english/chron.php

Ian

#400696 - 03/20/15 10:41 AM Re: Electone technollogy [Re: ianmcnll]
joso Offline

Loc: Denmark
[quote=Bachus]
(snip)
There is a good timeline regarding Yamaha products here: http://www.yamaha.co.jp/manual/english/chron.php

Ian

Yes, Ian

But only untill 2010. Looks like the updater has gone to sleep some years ago...

Jørgen

#400697 - 03/20/15 11:08 AM Re: Electone technollogy [Re: Bachus]
ianmcnll Offline

You're right Jørgen...but, I certainly don't mind...my beloved Tyros4 is on the list and nothing since has interested me in the slightest.

It's a bit strange that they've nodded off on updating...perhaps the updater has bought a Tyros4 as well...ha ha!

On a more serious note, it is interesting to see Yamaha was making a home organ as far back as 1962, and those later PASS based organs were seriously good kit...nothing has the warmth of analog, in my opinion.

Ian

#400702 - 03/20/15 11:51 AM Re: Electone technollogy [Re: ianmcnll]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK

Ian

I remember the D85 well, however as far as I am aware no other manufacture ever introduced the horizontal keyboard feature, (Which I though was strange as it was such a great feature) thus I assumed that Yamaha had patented it thus preventing anyone else from using it.

Unless you know different

Bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online