SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#399565 - 02/15/15 07:52 AM Re: OT [Re: cgiles]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Originally Posted By: cgiles
Boo, I have the Sony set shown in the video above. Got them on sale at Costco about a year or so ago. They sound okay but not spectacular. Not very loud (biggest negative). Range is good, battery life is good, very comfortable, and seem to be very reliable although I don't use them much (maybe once a month). Since none of us have a second pair to compare them to, I'd recommend heeding the video above.

chas

Chas, There are many complaints on Amazon reviews about not being able to change the batteries yourself on this model, but perhaps having to take it to the store to replace the batteries. What about that?

I had a pair of the Sony's for a week from Best Buy. They fit real well. For me the sound was clear for TV. Music wise for jazz listening to Dexter Gordon on a transistor radio sounds great. To me it's the quality of execution in music, I could give a crap about a 10,000 PA, Ha ha.

The pair I tried would go dead periodically for just a word or so and I'd have to back up and replay. It wasn't often just annoying. I think it had a short cause it happened when I would tilt my head to the left. I brought them back. They were $105 at Best Buy and on eBay they are $38 to $50. Give me your thoughts on the battery changing, would ya Chas?

#399578 - 02/15/15 12:11 PM Re: OT [Re: brickboo]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Boo, I looked at mine and looked at the manual as well. There is no obvious way to change the (lithium ion) batteries that I can see, so I'm afraid that it's probably correct that they need to be changed by a dealer (bummer). Mine are still going strong after more than a year and I just leave it sitting on the charger 24/7. Doesn't seem to hurt it. The model number on mine is MDR-RF985RK. Got them at Costco but don't remember what I paid for them.

They are certainly fine for just listening to TV. For 'critical listening', based on what the others have said, I'd go for the Sennheisers. BTW, good to hear from you. We need you jazz-loving ol' farts to help keep the genre' alive smile smile.

chas

#399667 - 02/19/15 11:32 AM Re: OT [Re: brickboo]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Well, I got a pair new, opened box, was supposed to be a never used display set for $38. I have 14 days to return them s0, I thought it was worth the chance. Hey!, I hustled 9-Ball in New Orleans for a few years, ha ha!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online