SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#399523 - 02/14/15 01:35 AM Helios VA1000 .... the arranger of the future?
Bachus Offline

http://keyszone.boards.net

#399524 - 02/14/15 03:29 AM Re: Helios VA1000 .... the arranger of the future? [Re: Bachus]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Who makes this Helios thingy... Hamzer?

Seriously, it sounds okay-ish, but certainly nothing to threaten a Korg PA3 or Tyros4/5 (or even a Casio WK), in my opinion, of course.

The only thing that might be visually impressive to some would be the rather large touch screen, but, since I'm not a fan of them, I'm left with judging on what I'm hearing, and I'm not overly impressed.

It sounds a lot like the entry level Lowrey (the Fanfare https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55-AqtIX454 ), which I suppose, altogether, is not a bad thing. smile

Ian

#399525 - 02/14/15 04:27 AM Re: Helios VA1000 .... the arranger of the future? [Re: ianmcnll]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Who makes this Helios thingy... Hamzer?

Seriously, it sounds okay-ish, but certainly nothing to threaten a Korg PA3 or Tyros4/5 (or even a Casio WK), in my opinion, of course.

The only thing that might be visually impressive to some would be the rather large touch screen, but, since I'm not a fan of them, I'm left with judging on what I'm hearing, and I'm not overly impressed.

It sounds a lot like the entry level Lowrey (the Fanfare https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55-AqtIX454 ), which I suppose, altogether, is not a bad thing. smile

Ian

Its home build Ian, its Varranger with an SD1000 and some VSTs, its not a commercial product, Claes who build it used to play a Wersi Abacus, thats still visible i. The room during the movie...

The future means people creating their own interface and choosing their own sounds as part of their arrangers... These are organ players that obviously love fat organ sounds..

In the end its remarkably how they created the interface supporting all the buttons, knobs and sliders..

#399526 - 02/14/15 04:36 AM Re: Helios VA1000 .... the arranger of the future? [Re: Bachus]
ianmcnll Offline

I understand, Bachus...I was just poking a bit of fun.

I suppose it's a good way to put those hoary old Wersi instruments back to work, rather than scrapping them. wink

Ian

#399527 - 02/14/15 05:19 AM Re: Helios VA1000 .... the arranger of the future? [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

The sound is just part of the problem, that said the BIG picture is that Arranger KB companies should take heed that people are not satisfied with what is already available and WANT MORE features to suit their needs as in this demo,........I hope in the future we go forward Not backwards....
Thanx for the demo..

#399528 - 02/14/15 05:48 AM Re: Helios VA1000 .... the arranger of the future? [Re: Bachus]
ianmcnll Offline

Personally, I'd be able to do any type gig just fine with a PSR-S910...an S950 would almost be overkill...both certainly have everything a "player" would want...perhaps a SMF user may want a few changes, but I'm also aware that workarounds have been found.

As someone here used to say on their signature..."it's not the keyboard...it's the keyboardist."

Then again, having the awesome Tyros4 on my keyboard stand is pure unadulterated pleasure!

Ian

#399530 - 02/14/15 06:35 AM Re: Helios VA1000 .... the arranger of the future? [Re: Bachus]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
That’s going back a few years, (It’s one of the very early versions of vArranger with limited style and sound support) and nothing to write home about. (Most sounds were basic GM with no effects added)

It would be interesting to see if it’s still in use or they have gone back to a manufactured instrument.

While the touch screen is large it is still way too small to allow vArranger to be used with a touch interface, as it needs to be much larger so that you do not accidently activate things you don’t want to. (Perhaps in the future the interface can be adapted for use on a typical screen that is fitted to a keyboard/Organ)

Bill

#399537 - 02/14/15 09:00 AM Re: Helios VA1000 .... the arranger of the future? [Re: abacus]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: abacus
That’s going back a few years, (It’s one of the very early versions of vArranger with limited style and sound support) and nothing to write home about. (Most sounds were basic GM with no effects added)

It would be interesting to see if it’s still in use or they have gone back to a manufactured instrument.

While the touch screen is large it is still way too small to allow vArranger to be used with a touch interface, as it needs to be much larger so that you do not accidently activate things you don’t want to. (Perhaps in the future the interface can be adapted for use on a typical screen that is fitted to a keyboard/Organ)

Bill

Bill, i have a 27" touchscreen, which is about the size i would advise someone that wants a full touchinterface...

But i would love to see someone integrating a 29" 21:9 monitor... They are 30 cm high and 70cm wide and would make a perfect bas of any softarranger...

I was aware of the age of the video, i tought we all know how good Varranger can sound these days, so i asumed everyone could keep their comments on the interface...

Edited by Bachus (02/14/15 09:02 AM)

#399538 - 02/14/15 09:26 AM Re: Helios VA1000 .... the arranger of the future? [Re: Bachus]
ianmcnll Offline

Never assume anything...

With his request approved, the Bulletin newspaper photographer quickly used his mobile phone and called the Townsville airport to charter a flight.
He was told a twin-engine plane would be waiting for him at the airport. Arriving at the airfield, he spotted a plane warming up outside a hangar. He jumped in with his bag, slammed the door shut, and shouted, "Let's go!"
The pilot taxied out, swung the plane into the wind, and took off. Once in the air, the photographer instructed the pilot, "Fly over Mount Stuartvand make low passes so I can take pictures of the fires on the hillsides."
"Why?"asked the pilot. "Because I'm a photographer for the Bulletin" he responded, "and I need to get some close-up shots." The pilot was strangely silent for a moment, then he stammered, "So, what you're telling me is, you're not my flight instructor?"

#399542 - 02/14/15 10:39 AM Re: Helios VA1000 .... the arranger of the future? [Re: ianmcnll]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Never assume anything...

With his request approved, the Bulletin newspaper photographer quickly used his mobile phone and called the Townsville airport to charter a flight.
He was told a twin-engine plane would be waiting for him at the airport. Arriving at the airfield, he spotted a plane warming up outside a hangar. He jumped in with his bag, slammed the door shut, and shouted, "Let's go!"
The pilot taxied out, swung the plane into the wind, and took off. Once in the air, the photographer instructed the pilot, "Fly over Mount Stuartvand make low passes so I can take pictures of the fires on the hillsides."
"Why?"asked the pilot. "Because I'm a photographer for the Bulletin" he responded, "and I need to get some close-up shots." The pilot was strangely silent for a moment, then he stammered, "So, what you're telling me is, you're not my flight instructor?"

I know Ian, my lifes motto is, Assumption is the mother of all frackups.. And yet we all still asume to much..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online