SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#399859 - 02/24/15 04:15 AM Re: Casio PXS5 [Re: Bachus]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Bachus

It would be out of their comfort zone, but i think nothing is stopping them and they are working like horses to complete this major project, and soon we will be amazed about the new Casio Totl arranger stagepiano workstation.....

t would be cool if they could pull this off...they probably have the resources, but they will need to update their soundsets to include something at least equal to Yamaha's Mega-Voices and Korg's DNC sounds. The area in which where Casio arrangers are lacking is in the Style Programming, much of which depends on the voices used as well as the creativity of Style Programmers.

I wonder what effect this might have on both Korg and Yamaha, whose portable arrangers (at only 76-notes) are considerably higher priced than $1500? Maybe we will see a drastic price reduction, and these companies will lose the lucrative profits they are presently making. If anything, it sure would make things interesting. wink

I've had several Casio pro level stage keyboards in the past, (synths CZ-1 and VZ-1 and sampler FZ-1) and they were excellent instruments that were well built and provided awesome performance capabilities at a very reasonable price compared to Yamaha's DX, Roland's JX, and Korg's M and 01 keyboards...so, perhaps they can compete on an equal level (performance/quality) with TOTL arrangers and be able to keep their price lower.

So far, in my opinion, their arrangers are just a tad lacking compared to the other major brands.

I'd love to see them shake up the "big boys" like Korg and Yamaha (and to a certain extent Ketron and Roland) but, time will tell.

Ian

#399860 - 02/24/15 08:27 AM Re: Casio PXS5 [Re: ianmcnll]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

It would be out of their comfort zone, but i think nothing is stopping them and they are working like horses to complete this major project, and soon we will be amazed about the new Casio Totl arranger stagepiano workstation.....

t would be cool if they could pull this off...they probably have the resources, but they will need to update their soundsets to include something at least equal to Yamaha's Mega-Voices and Korg's DNC sounds. The area in which where Casio arrangers are lacking is in the Style Programming, much of which depends on the voices used as well as the creativity of Style Programmers.

I wonder what effect this might have on both Korg and Yamaha, whose portable arrangers (at only 76-notes) are considerably higher priced than $1500? Maybe we will see a drastic price reduction, and these companies will lose the lucrative profits they are presently making. If anything, it sure would make things interesting. wink

I've had several Casio pro level stage keyboards in the past, (synths CZ-1 and VZ-1 and sampler FZ-1) and they were excellent instruments that were well built and provided awesome performance capabilities at a very reasonable price compared to Yamaha's DX, Roland's JX, and Korg's M and 01 keyboards...so, perhaps they can compete on an equal level (performance/quality) with TOTL arrangers and be able to keep their price lower.

So far, in my opinion, their arrangers are just a tad lacking compared to the other major brands.

I'd love to see them shake up the "big boys" like Korg and Yamaha (and to a certain extent Ketron and Roland) but, time will tell.

Ian

I do agree with you, the weakness in Casio is currently in the style department, however this gives them the freedom to create new style format beyound everything we know so far... And if they add a way to import other style types, they have turned their weakness into a strength..

The other weak part is the naturall and acoustic sounds, and frankly honest, i would be hugely surprised if they could come up with anything as advanced and sattisfying as SA2 sounds in the near future..

Yet, i am a firm believer that if anyone can shake up the sleeping aranger producers then it is casio. I hope they will be able to bring innovation back into the buiseness.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#399861 - 02/24/15 09:08 AM Re: Casio PXS5 [Re: Bachus]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

The other weak part is the naturall and acoustic sounds, and frankly honest, i would be hugely surprised if they could come up with anything as advanced and sattisfying as SA2 sounds in the near future..

Hi Folks,

Guess this is not a subject for me to major in but wanted to let you know that only this afternoon my CASIO Privia 860 piano arrived. It has only been on the market for a few months or so I am told as the follow up to the 850 and apparently has the same acoustic piano samples as the PXS5. The reason I opted for the 860 is that I was awed by the sound thru its own amplification on top of which I did not like the feel much of the PX-S5 keys. And of course the PX is really a gigging instrument that leans heavily on the kind of amplification you are using. I don't know about their other acoustic achievements but these acoustic piano sounds are absolutely fantastic and at those prices , approx. 1100 dollars and 999 euros here in Europe they are hard to beat. I was lucky to get another 10% discount over the weekend. So now...............
I will have to learn and play the piano smile smile smile

regards,
John

P.S. here is an in depth review of the Casio 860:
http://azpianonews.blogspot.nl/2015/01/C...e-best-buy.html

#399862 - 02/24/15 09:21 AM Re: Casio PXS5 [Re: john smies]
Bachus Offline

Yes John, Casio has mastered acoustic piano sounds quite well... I think they sound great..

However, brass, woods, strings, guitars and such are a whole different department then piano's as they can be played with much more different articulations ... A piano is allways a hammer falling on a snare. But a guitar for example can be picked, slapped etc etc.. And thats where SA2 technollogy comes into play... yamaha did never see the need to add an SA2 piano model...

Only the future will tell us...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#400047 - 02/28/15 10:58 AM Re: Casio PXS5 [Re: Stein67]
Stein67 Offline

The "bread and butter" sounds can be a bit lacking on the PX5S eg., guitars and brass IMO......but it is nice for other sounds outside of standard piano.......

LISTEN HERE

and HERE (6 different demos here - all nice apart from the nylon guitar IMO)

PS: John, good luck with your purchase - surprised you didn't like the key feel of the PX5S. But I'm sure you're very happy with your purchase.

Also, as above, I too would love to see Casio really shake the likes of Yamaha up and get in on the TOTL arranger market. I think they could do it and while they have had some lovely boards out the PX5S really seems to have resonated with buyers and the phrase I have used is "they're doing a Skoda"!!. Interesting times ahead.

Edited by Stein67 (02/28/15 11:00 AM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online