SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#399310 - 02/09/15 11:29 AM Re: So What did we learn from NAMM 2015? [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
I know some of you will disagree on the "lazy mans" reference but the facts are the facts, ......otherwise many more pros would be using them vs workstations & synths in bands, in studio and on stage where you rarely see an arranger Kb in live national acts venues, etc , etc, ...it's just the way it is...

... & if you play in a band who needs styles just play Your parts on whatever Kb's you desire....

Donny... as I was reading your post, I was formulating a response, but then saw that you answered it yourself ... we don't see AKs in bands, because they are not needed - the other 'arranger parts' are played by other band members ...
and perhaps some 'pros' ARE using an AK in a studio setting, like Russ, Ian, and others ... we don't know because we can't see what they are using ...
And of course there are those who have the ability and desire to create their own styles with a workstation - more power to them ...
I will use on board styles - edited for MY purpose - and if that's 'lazy', so be it ... grin keys

#399313 - 02/09/15 11:51 AM Re: So What did we learn from NAMM 2015? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Tony, I always say the Arranger Keyboard is the "Swiss Army Knife" of instruments.

It's also made me lots of money, both in the studio, and out playing "live", as well as being the perfect musical companion at home if I just want to sit down and play for my own enjoyment.

Ian

#399314 - 02/09/15 12:04 PM Re: So What did we learn from NAMM 2015? [Re: ianmcnll]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Tony, I always say the Arranger Keyboard is the "Swiss Army Knife" of instruments.

It's also made me lots of money, both in the studio, and out playing "live", as well as being the perfect musical companion at home if I just want to sit down and play for my own enjoyment.

Ian

This is it... We have a swiss army knife or even better, a multitool with a tool for every job, compared to workstations, we have everything a workstation has and styles on top of that.

The best part of arrangers is that every button slider or knob ontheee is created for real time use... And thats another pro they have over a workstation like the Motif,where part of the motif is designed for studio integration which takes away some of the design phillossophy from live use...

Anyway, if you are an OMB an arranger is the only wise choice, as it can do it all... Unless you are a piano player, because if you are a piano player you should be sad that there is no stage piano with build in arranger...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#399315 - 02/09/15 12:24 PM Re: So What did we learn from NAMM 2015? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Plus, as Billy says above, you can always add bass pedals (which I do, sometimes), an extra manual (ditto), and even VST's to the instrument...so an Arranger is not only an excellent instrument on its own, but a great foundation for a growing setup.

Korg made a really nice 88-note weighted action arranger, the PA-588, that was pretty much a fairly portable stage piano, although I think it may be discontinued.

Ian

#399316 - 02/09/15 12:29 PM Re: So What did we learn from NAMM 2015? [Re: abacus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: abacus
Arrangers have always been designed for the home market
Bill

"HOME MARKET" yes a big part of the non pro element way of thinking,..... before the 80's I never heard of an arranger kb because simply there were none & quite honestly if I was still in a band I wouldn't use an arranger at all, started using one out of necessity as a duo & later a solo act for the last 18 years successfully may I add,......before that I played for 20 years as a keyboard player in bands with out an arranger kb, creating tracks on workstations, playing all kinds of parts in the songs we did on some really big venues,.... I stacked 2 or sometimes 3 kbs E.Piano, Synth, Moog, etc, on top of a Hammond B3 for every gig,....
we made music and it sounded fantastic.... keys

BTW I watched the Grammy Awards last night, ......Hmmmmmm? didn't see one arranger KB on that stage all night did you?.....
did I miss anything? or?

I rest my case.....

#399317 - 02/09/15 12:35 PM Re: So What did we learn from NAMM 2015? [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: tony mads usa

we don't see AKs in bands, because they are not needed - the other 'arranger parts' are played by other band members ...

... and I rest mine ...

#399318 - 02/09/15 12:58 PM Re: So What did we learn from NAMM 2015? [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

we don't see AKs in bands, because they are not needed - the other 'arranger parts' are played by other band members ...

... and I rest mine ...

And even if Arranger Kbs are regarded by some as a "Swiss Army Knife" of sorts.. there is a reason you don't see them on stages worldwide & to get back to the OP NAMM 2015 has enforced this also is my point. Just sayin'

#399320 - 02/09/15 01:12 PM Re: So What did we learn from NAMM 2015? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

And even if Arranger Kbs are regarded by some as a "Swiss Army Knife" of sorts.. there is a reason you don't see them on stages worldwide & to get back to the OP NAMM 2015 has enforced this also is my point. Just sayin'

I really don't care if I ever see one on stage, although mine has been seen (and used), on them many times.

Pros that use arrangers aren't plentiful, as shown by SZ and other forums, like Keyboard Corner, but who really gives a shit?

I certainly don't.

It's only necessary that it works for my needs.

'Nuff said!

Ian

#399323 - 02/09/15 01:44 PM Re: So What did we learn from NAMM 2015? [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

I really don't care if I ever see one on stage, although mine has been seen (and used), on them many times.

Pros that use arrangers aren't plentiful, as shown by SZ and other forums, like Keyboard Corner, but who really gives a shit?

I certainly don't.

It's only necessary that it works for my needs.

'Nuff said!

Ian

Ian that's all well and god ....as I do the same with an arranger KB also BUT,.....what I wanna know by this thread topic is why hasn't the use of arranger KB's been more plentifully embraced by mainstream players vs workstations/synths, etc,.....it's oddly unbalanced and there must be a good reason. Is it ignorance ....marketing....home player vs pro.....non availability in music stores.....a bad home organ aura reputation?? confused1 as the real reasons will effect the future of Arranger KB's IMO.

#399324 - 02/09/15 02:00 PM Re: So What did we learn from NAMM 2015? [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
The thing about a 'Swiss Army Knife' is that it doesn't do anything well. Remember the old saying, "Jack of all trades, master of none". In music, as in life, there are no shortcuts; someone (Gary?) said "it can take months to prepare an arranger keyboard for a gig" - well guess what; it takes YEARS to prepare an acoustic piano for a gig. So yeah, there may be a 'lazy' aspect to it. Just sayin'.

But here's the thing. Those that use them are going to defend them to the death; those that don't are going to pooh-pooh them to the death. Funny thing is, nobody's right and nobody's wrong. If it works for you, as Tony says, "who really gives a shit?".

chas

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online