SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#399248 - 02/08/15 05:50 AM Aftertouch
Bachus Offline

How important is aftertouch for your playstyle? Personally, espescially combined with SA2, i think aftertouch really adds to my expression...

However, if you look at the current generation keyboards, i am getting worried, its one of those features of expresiveness that gets underrated and removed from all but the high end keys..

Yamaha only has aftertouch on the Tyros and Motif XF..
Roland only has aftertouch on the JP80
korg does better with aftertouch on the Pa3x and Pa900 as well as the Kronos line
Ketron has aftertouch on the whole audya line
Kurzweil still adds aftertouch to all their instruments

The only stage piano with aftertouch is the Nord stage 2...

So, who is using their aftertouch to its fullest?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#399249 - 02/08/15 06:26 AM Re: Aftertouch [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

I can take it or leave it either way I've used both on many keyboards. Doesn't effect MY style of playing at all.

#399251 - 02/08/15 07:06 AM Re: Aftertouch [Re: Bachus]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
When I played a keyboard with aftertouch I never used it. And, with all the SA voices, plus the pitch bend, do you really need it?

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#399255 - 02/08/15 08:17 AM Re: Aftertouch [Re: Bachus]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I have to say, once you get used to having that extra bit of expression by simply pressing harder into the keybed, it's hard to be without it. I think the reason it's only included on higher end instruments, is because, primarily, it adds cost, and secondarily, usually only the more the advanced players will make the best use of it, and they generally buy the most powerful instruments.

I really like aftertouch for adding expression (vibrato, tone, filter etc.) to lead synthesizer and distortion electric guitar sounds, as well as the usual added expressiveness it gives to many other instruments, such as violin and sax to name only a few.

And, it's not only useful for SA/SA2 sounds...it works quite nicely on Yamaha's Cool! and Live! sounds, and, of course, even the GM/GM2 and XG voices can benefit from it as well.

Having been playing the Tyros4 almost exclusively for quite some time now, I find it a big change going back to a PSR keybed, especially since the Tyros4's FSX action has a longer throw as well as having more resistance overall, although, with time I can usually adjust to the PSR, which has its own advantages, those being that it's fast, and a little shallower, which are ideal for organ sounds.

Summing up, I think aftertouch is a great advantage to have on a keyboard, and hopefully we will see it on the less expensive instruments in the near future.

Ian

PS...The only weighted 88-note actions I've used that had aftertouch were Yamaha's long discontinued KX-88 (my favorite) and the newer Yamaha Motif XF8 which also feels pretty awesome.

#399257 - 02/08/15 09:43 AM Re: Aftertouch [Re: Bachus]
124 Offline

Agreed, Ian. On the Pa1x it takes quite a bit of added finger pressure - something to do with the fulcrum of the keys, I understand. But, yeah, I wouldn't be without aftertouch.

#399258 - 02/08/15 10:28 AM Re: Aftertouch [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

I'm happy with velocity switches on my sounds......I can be really expressive when needed.

#399260 - 02/08/15 10:53 AM Re: Aftertouch [Re: Bachus]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Here's my perspective.
I don't sing. play gigs (dances, party's or homes)...and I play mostly slower orchestral, musical theatre, standards, oldies...so I want the very best sounds. The qua;lity of the sound is a big part of my type of play.
Aftertouch is very important to me. The quality of the sounds gives me inspiration and pleasure to have then as realistic as possible.

This is one reason I did not go for S950 instead of software arranger...no AT and didn't love the action either...here I can use any quality sound I want/afford going forward next few years.

My CME -76 MIDI keyboard has very nice feel and nice aftertouch.

If you play fast music or just for accompaniment for singing as the main thing...maybe aftertouch is not quite so important?

Nothing nicer than a Clarinet, Flute Sax etc that has touch vibrato that you can use when desired. Or vary the effects, loudness of a choir etc.

#399262 - 02/08/15 11:05 AM Re: Aftertouch [Re: Bachus]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
I believe it's mostly us players fault for loosing any features that we took for granted in older models. I still believe anything over a $1000 should have good action keyboard and after touch.
That is why I never got 950, which is a great machine, but that keyboard feel is beyond shame for model that is almost $2000.
I just got me Roland G6 for $900 CAN. I am going to use it mostly for samples and solo playing.It's keyboard is the best thing I tried in last 10 years. It's even better that my T5 keyboard which is also really good.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#399263 - 02/08/15 12:01 PM Re: Aftertouch [Re: Bachus]
Tyrosman5
Unregistered

Aftertouch is a important function and I use it especially with Sax,Trombone,trumpet and strings. Lloyd

#399265 - 02/08/15 12:55 PM Re: Aftertouch [Re: ]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Tyrosman5
Aftertouch is a important function and I use it especially with Sax,Trombone,trumpet and strings. Lloyd

I would add synths and pads and winds and some more to that list..

http://keyszone.boards.net

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online