SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#398918 - 01/29/15 11:50 AM LD handheld mike
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
This is an interesting mike. Anyone had any experience with this mike or anything like it?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--SENE965

Using it for recording? For playing live?

#398919 - 01/29/15 11:57 AM Re: LD handheld mike [Re: guitpic1]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
I have been looking to try this mic for a long time.But, nobody has this mic in stock where I live.
I know it sounds excellent, but I want to know how will it behave on a loud stage .
I have E945 and I like it a lot.It's great sounding mic.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#398925 - 01/29/15 01:11 PM Re: LD handheld mike [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
From my perspective, Sennheiser makes the best hand held mic available today.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#398932 - 01/29/15 04:53 PM Re: LD handheld mike [Re: guitpic1]
Hal2001 Offline

Loc: U.S.
Originally Posted By: guitpic1
This is an interesting mike. Anyone had any experience with this mike or anything like it? http://www.zzounds.com/item--SENE965
Using it for recording? For playing live?

Hi GP1. After lots and lots of research, I recently got the Sennheiser e945 for vocals. It's outstanding and fulfills all my expectations for recording and performing vocals. It's a third of the cost of the Senn you're looking at, so it's hard for me to imagine how much greater yours can be. I don't know where you're located, but here in the States, Guitar Center, Sam Ash etc have friendly policies where they usually, but not always, will allow you to return (at your own modest shipping cost) items which don't satisfy you. You may want to order two models that interest you the most and send back the one you don't care to keep. Based on everything I've read, and now experienced, you can't go wrong with the Sennheiser line of mic. Senn product reviews abound on the web and you can get a good feeling for the strengths and weaknesses of various models from experienced musicians. Good luck. Let us know what you chose and give us a review!
PS. TE's advice below is very prudent. I advise the same. Make sure the seller has a satisfaction money back guarantee on mics before ordering.

#398933 - 01/29/15 04:59 PM Re: LD handheld mike [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Always check the store policy on mic returns. Many stores will tell you that they cannot accept mics because of health department regulations, which is a lie. There are no such regulations, state or federal. If they give you this crap, tell them to show you the law or regulation in print - they won't do it because there is no such regulation or law on the books in any state in the US. This is merely store policy because they do not want to clean the mic and cannot sell it for new if returned, even if it's on the same day.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#398934 - 01/29/15 05:19 PM Re: LD handheld mike [Re: travlin'easy]
Hal2001 Offline

Loc: U.S.
That's a good point TE to check mic specific return policy from the seller and not to assume it. Hal

#398950 - 01/30/15 05:28 AM Re: LD handheld mike [Re: guitpic1]
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
From a sound engineers perspective, All quality mics, usually $99 and up are all good at what they are designed to do. The reason why some mics seem to perform better than others are outside factors

- everyone's voice has a different sound quality, eq, volume
- each pa that is being used has different levels of sound
- each room you play in will affect the sound of the pa, and the sound of the mic
- the volume you sing at or the volume that is around you will also affect the mic sound
- even if you have a great mixer, but don't know how to adjust the gain on your channel or the basics of hi-passing can make a $1000 mic sound like singing into a bucket

Also just for fun, Mariah Carey usually sings into a very super expensive condesor mic, and lately hasn't been sounding that great, Do you blame the mic? Also I just saw Paul McCartney and Billy Joel, and they sounded amazing, and they where both singing into a sm58 and Bet58 shure, which start at $99

more expensvie mics are always a better route, but doesn't always fix the other issues.

It's funny, I play equally bad on a cheap keyboard as I do on a $5000 keyboard

#398956 - 01/30/15 06:39 AM Re: LD handheld mike [Re: frankieve]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: frankieve
From a sound engineers perspective, All quality mics, usually $99 and up are all good at what they are designed to do. The reason why some mics seem to perform better than others are outside factors

- everyone's voice has a different sound quality, eq, volume
- each pa that is being used has different levels of sound
- each room you play in will affect the sound of the pa, and the sound of the mic
- the volume you sing at or the volume that is around you will also affect the mic sound
- even if you have a great mixer, but don't know how to adjust the gain on your channel or the basics of hi-passing can make a $1000 mic sound like singing into a bucket

Also just for fun, Mariah Carey usually sings into a very super expensive condesor mic, and lately hasn't been sounding that great, Do you blame the mic? Also I just saw Paul McCartney and Billy Joel, and they sounded amazing, and they where both singing into a sm58 and Bet58 shure, which start at $99

more expensvie mics are always a better route, but doesn't always fix the other issues.

It's funny, I play equally bad on a cheap keyboard as I do on a $5000 keyboard

DITTO Frank all valid points ... cool2

#399006 - 01/30/15 09:38 PM Re: LD handheld mike [Re: Dnj]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Tx Frank and all for the replies. Good info and thoughts.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online