SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#39804 - 01/19/06 01:27 AM Recording with Digitech
Brian Barton Offline

Loc: UK
I have recorded keyboard and vocals through the PC but I am unable to record the vocals when the mike is plugged in to the Digitech Vocalist which is connected to the keyboard.
Is this possible?
Help would be greatly appreciated.
Brian.

#39805 - 01/19/06 02:08 AM Re: Recording with Digitech
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Where is it connected in the keyboard?
John C.

#39806 - 01/19/06 03:40 AM Re: Recording with Digitech
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
You have harmony outputs from the Digitech that have to be returned into the computer input as well as the keyboard input to the computer...The best way to acheive this is with a mixer...

#39807 - 01/19/06 04:35 AM Re: Recording with Digitech
Brian Barton Offline

Hi Bruno
The Digitech is connected using the Midi out
from the Board to Midi on the Vocalist.
The cable I used for the connection has the Midi type plugs but was bought from a PC shop and they didn't know if it would work. Could this be the problem? The Digitech is working fine, but the vocals are not being recorded.
More help please.
Brian.

#39808 - 01/19/06 08:34 AM Re: Recording with Digitech
Brian Barton Offline

Hi Fran,
Can this be acheived without a mixer?, and what cables would I need and how would I connect them.
Brian.

#39809 - 01/19/06 12:19 PM Re: Recording with Digitech

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Barton:
I have recorded keyboard and vocals through the PC but I am unable to record the vocals when the mike is plugged in to the Digitech Vocalist which is connected to the keyboard.
Is this possible?
Help would be greatly appreciated.
Brian.

Brain, I record with my Digitech and the Kn7, no problem.

Midi out from the keyboard into the Digitech in.Must use the same chanels to transmit.

Audio(Vocal)-- Mic into Digitech -- audio output from digitech -- I use chanel three, into the mic impute of the KN7,
You can hear and control the volume of you mic from the keyboard. If you do not hear your voice coming from the keyboard speakers you will not be recording your voice. Check the impute from the mic to the Digitech -- check LINE/MIC -- select the correct one.

Output of the keyboard to your recorder.
You can balance the instrument and your voice with the keyboard volume controls.

DO NOT plug into the AUX impute on the keyboard.

Hopes this helps, John C.

[This message has been edited by bruno123 (edited 01-19-2006).]

#39810 - 01/19/06 02:38 PM Re: Recording with Digitech
Brian Barton Offline

Hi John,
Thank you very much for your help.
The use of Midi is a complete mystery to me.
I have tried as you suggested to send the vocals back to the Board using a single lead
plugged in the Vocalist mono line out into the Mike socket on the board, you say that you used chanel 3. How do I do that? I am using chanel 1 at the moment to transmit from keyboard to vocalist.
Sorry to be such a duffer, very simple explanations on the set up would be greatly appreciated. I am recording via USB to the PC using the Audio Recorder.
Brian.

#39811 - 01/19/06 05:13 PM Re: Recording with Digitech

Brain, Midi subjects;

Don?t get too involved with midi at this point. (My thoughts)
As long as the Midi channel you are sending from the keyboard matches the same channel on the keyboard you?re OK.

You do need to understand the three different harmonies on your Digitech.
Understanding the Digitech is your first step.

The audio output of your Digitech ? and I do not know which model you have ? should have five outs ? one for each part of the four harmonies, and one for the dry vocal (Your voice with effects)
I have been using #3, I should have not called it track 3. I send that one into the mic impute of the keyboard. When I use a mixer I use #3 and #4 (Stereo) from the Digitech to the keyboard.

Using just the keyboard amplification and speakers.
Do you hear your voice coming through the speakers?
If you do you?re ready to record. If not the problem is how you are using the Digitech.
If it is not working give us some detailed info on how you have your Digitech setup.

John C.

#39812 - 01/19/06 11:58 PM Re: Recording with Digitech
Brian Barton Offline

Hi John,
I have the Digitech Vocalist Workstation EX.
It only has the 2 sterio outputs, I assume to connect to a sterio amp. I have a feeling that I need another Midi connection
from the Midi out on the Vocolist to the Midi in on the Board,so that the voice is sent back for transmiting via the USB to the PC for recording. Does that sound right?.
Thank you again for your quick reply and help.
Brian.

#39813 - 01/20/06 01:11 AM Re: Recording with Digitech
sturgeon Offline

Hi Brian,

You can't send audio through a MIDI port (but the KN USB port can route both to a PC). You will have to hook your Digitech up to the line in on the KN7000 (or both of them to a mixer) in order to route it to your PC.

If you can hear the audio from the Digitech on your KN speakers then you can send it to the PC.

Cheers,

s.

#39814 - 01/20/06 02:21 AM Re: Recording with Digitech

You can't send audio through a MIDI port (but the KN USB port can route both to a PC). You will have to hook your Digitech up to the line in on the KN7000 (or both of them to a mixer) in order to route it to your PC.

If you can hear the audio from the Digitech on your KN speakers then you can send it to the PC.

Cheers,

s.

Brian, S. is right.
You need only one Midi wire -- outfrom the keyboard to in on your Digitech. The keyboard will send only digital information to you Digitech that is needed to select the correct harmony. You do not need or want the digitech to send any info to your keyboard, that will open another list of problems.

Your Digitech has stereo out puts -- one of them should be for monoral, both side of the stereo combined allowing you to plug into the keyboard without a mixer. I will always use a mixer when necessary, it gives me greater control. My thought is the less I have to carry the better.

All that I have written is based on getting the Digitech and keyboard to work together, how you connect to the recording device is another subject. I have never used the USB port for recording, it must have some good atvantages.

Good luck Brian, John C.

#39815 - 01/20/06 03:08 AM Re: Recording with Digitech
Brian Barton Offline

Thanks for all the help.
I have at last managed to get it right, using your previous suggestion of using the mono out from Digitech to the Mic in on the board. Using the Audio Recorder on the PC gets excelent results and then I can burn the wav. files very quickly on to a CD.
I appreciate your kind help.
Best Regards,
Brian.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online