SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#397912 - 01/07/15 07:31 PM Re: Making $$$ with arranger other than performing [Re: guitpic1]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: guitpic1

Just out of curiosity. What is your work flow for creating your demo's. Do you use your recording capabilities of your keyboard? Another recording/mixing device?

Tx

Not to interfere with Dave's reply, but, instead to add to it, I use a similar method to his, only that I use the internal midi recorder in the Tyros4 and then bounce it over to the T4's Audio Recorder which gives me a Wav file.

Sometimes I'll edit the midi tracks for volume/effects etc., and also, like Dave, if I'm not happy with the first take, I simply re-record the whole piece, which is usually quicker than editing.

I then import it to my PC where I can make an MP3.

You can use the same process on the S910 if you so wish.

Again, apologies for butting in.

Ian

#397917 - 01/08/15 01:11 AM Re: Making $$$ with arranger other than performing [Re: Riceroni9]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Thanks Dave,

Good description. I've been wondering how many folks use their on-board recording systems that are on their keyboards.

I'd like to do some recording and end up with an MP3 but may use my old trusty VS2480 as the recorder/mixer.

Thanks again.

Rog L

#397918 - 01/08/15 01:14 AM Re: Making $$$ with arranger other than performing [Re: ianmcnll]
guitpic1 Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

Just out of curiosity. What is your work flow for creating your demo's. Do you use your recording capabilities of your keyboard? Another recording/mixing device?

Tx

Not to interfere with Dave's reply, but, instead to add to it, I use a similar method to his, only that I use the internal midi recorder in the Tyros4 and then bounce it over to the T4's Audio Recorder which gives me a Wav file.

Sometimes I'll edit the midi tracks for volume/effects etc., and also, like Dave, if I'm not happy with the first take, I simply re-record the whole piece, which is usually quicker than editing.

I then import it to my PC where I can make an MP3.

You can use the same process on the S910 if you so wish.

Again, apologies for butting in.

Ian

Thanks Ian. I'd like to use the Tyros 4 as well for recording. I haven't messed with that function on the Tyros yet other than for some quick recordings.

The midi recorder is the one to the left of the screen and the audio recorder to the right..correct? My understanding is that the main difference between the two is that the audio recorder can record voice?

How do you do the bounce from one to the other?

Thanks again.

Rog L

Edited by guitpic1 (01/08/15 01:16 AM)

#397921 - 01/08/15 03:59 AM Re: Making $$$ with arranger other than performing [Re: guitpic1]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
My opinion:
Every recording studio I have seen uses a mixer to set up the audio.

My method;
Keyboard into Chanel 1 of the mixer – Voice – into channel 2. I used a stand-alone reverb unit and a BBE (Sound enhancer) plugged into the mixer which allowed me to add as much of each unit to the mix. Both the add-on units were of better quality than what was in the keyboard. From the mixer to a Mini Disk recorder.

A Mini Disk recorded has a better sound than a Mp3 but not as good as a wave file in a CD.

I have a friend who creates all his back tracks using the above methor; his recordings sound professional.

Hope this helps, John C.

#397923 - 01/08/15 05:27 AM Re: Making $$$ with arranger other than performing [Re: guitpic1]
ianmcnll Offline

How do you do the bounce from one to the other?

Thanks again.

Rog L

Hi Rog,

Here's a quick video on it...it's quite easy. You can add the vocals as the midi file is being recorded. Also, for the basic work that we do, the Tyros4's VH2 Vocal Harmony does all that's needed...it's just a matter of being careful with the settings.

The Tyros4's Audio Recorder has two tracks as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXTFLtUpbSo#t=49

I use a high quality, mint condition, vintage microphone, an Electro-Voice RE-15, which is ideal for most of my work.

Because the on-board Audio Recorder (Wav) in the Tyros4 is of professional quality, I like the convenience of having it all in one unit, especially if I need to go to someone's house to record.

Ian

PS...the T4's Audio Recorder also records any custom and/or expansion voices.

#397940 - 01/08/15 09:58 AM Re: Making $$$ with arranger other than performing [Re: ianmcnll]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
There are numerous ways top make lots of money writing and recording. If you think of it, nearly everything you see (TV, Internet)or hear (Radio, internet, etc.) has some audio that was written and recorded by someone.

The mental "bridge" is, most of us initially, at least, want to write songs. At lease 1/2 of what I'm paid to record are scores that are written and recorded as I am watching a cut of the project that is 99% complete. This is not a process of writing songs, but creating songs, sound effects....lots of different things, all matched in real time to the image.Even the "song" part of the projects are not very satisfying from a"stand alone" standpoint. If it's part that runs under a voice over, the lines are smoother, quieter and less involved than what you would do for a piece of stand alone music.

Deadlines are horrific; often requiring a 30 hour stretch of last minute alterations.I have finished many projects less than an hour before they were played at a corporate annual meeting.

It's a tradeoff, but there's a lot of personal satisfaction in being able to work in this field.

Every time a meet a kid who is complaining that he's having trouble finding a $75.00 "Buffet" job, I try to get him/her to widen their perspective. Of course, it takes flexibility, calm nerves, the ability to play lot's of different kinds of music
and works better for non-entertainer" musicians.

Not lots of clapping and "attaboys" at 3:30AM.

For the rest of the day, just listen to all the sounds you hear. The possibilities are phenomenal. And, once you're established as a reliable, creative source, the money is GREAT and the work is plentiful.

Russ

#397942 - 01/08/15 10:20 AM Re: Making $$$ with arranger other than performing [Re: captain Russ]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: captain Russ

At lease 1/2 of what I'm paid to record are scores that are written and recorded as I am watching a cut of the project that is 99% complete. This is not a process of writing songs, but creating songs, sound effects....lots of different things, all matched in real time to the image.Even the "song" part of the projects are not very satisfying from a"stand alone" standpoint. If it's part that runs under a voice over, the lines are smoother, quieter and less involved than what you would do for a piece of stand alone music.
Russ

I've done a few of these type recordings, one for a now defunct airline, and the other for a Sci-Fi project that ran out steam (and funds), although I managed to get paid well on both projects.

This was back when I was still using analog synths (Polymoog, Roland SH-2000, Roland JP-8) and playing in actual real time to a visual. We didn't even have SMPTE (timecode). Still, it was a lot of fun with the occasional nerve wracking moments.

I still have copies (on cassette tape) of the tracks somewhere here in my boxes of junk...I should try and dig them out and have them converted to digital. The Sci-Fi one was really creepy.

Nowadays, I'd love to tackle another project like those early ones, but having the benefit of more years of playing experience (especially improvising) and much better gear with the mighty Tyros4 and the potent little Yamaha CS-01.

Certainly with the advent of YouTube, there should be a few money making projects available for arranger players in providing copyright free music for someone else's video work.

Something to think about.

Ian

#397943 - 01/08/15 10:33 AM Re: Making $$$ with arranger other than performing [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Sure glad I no longer have those deadlines, and I had them almost daily. Between newspaper and magazine columns, plus voice-overs for car commercials and auto dealership TV commercials, I never got to sleep. Thank goodness those days are longs since gone. Now I'm in the slow lane. I no longer need to go fast, even when traveling. Guess that's why I bought a sailboat - sure can't go very fast on wind power alone.

Russ is right about the opportunities - there are loads of them out there, and all that you need to do is go after them and have the skills to get the job done. Of course, you will have to do the usual, self-marketing things as well or you won't get those jobs. I even had an offer once to become an auctioneer - I kinda wish I would have done that. It looked like fun, but it is a very high pressure job. There was an auctioneer school somewhere in the mid-west that cost about $1,000 for six weeks of training back in the early 70s. I only knew two guys that went there and they came back here, opened their own auction houses and made a killing. Both later went into politics - what a waste of talent, but they still made a lot more money. Go figure.

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#397944 - 01/08/15 10:45 AM Re: Making $$$ with arranger other than performing [Re: guitpic1]
ianmcnll Offline

The Audio Visual landscape is evolving rapidly, and even amateur videographers and electronic composers are putting out some incredibly good work.

Check out Vimeo https://vimeo.com/ sometime to get an idea of the high quality stuff being posted.

Ian

#397946 - 01/08/15 11:02 AM Re: Making $$$ with arranger other than performing [Re: travlin'easy]
guitpic1 Offline

Tx Ian, Russ, Gary and the others who wrote.

I'm always on the lookout for ways to make $$$ with music.

One of the reasons I took up keyboard at age 63 was to re-record songs I had written back in the 80's/90's. Also, I was asked to do some radio commercials.

My main recording machine back when was a Roland VS2480...way ahead of it's time. I still have it. Great machine but it takes a bit of recording engineer skills to use it. Given that the best my Tyros 4 can do is bounce tracks I may look to the VS2480 again.

I also thought of you tube videos to record my songs/commercials. I have very good video/mike/recording equipment to do this.

I even did a keyboard video with the Tyros 4(youtube). Thing is, I don't know if I'll ever be as comfortable with a keyboard as I am with guitar....although an arranger is about all I've played for the last few years.

Tx again all.

Rog L

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online