SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#397882 - 01/07/15 02:24 PM Re: NAMM Winter 2015 Leaks........ [Re: leeboy]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: leeboy
For the price they charge for Clavinova's...they should have at least the T5 capability/sounds etc. They should not be 1 or 2 levels behind T5.
Those are nice but WAY over priced.
Cabinets & 88 note keybeds do not cost all that much to make.
Lee

Of course you are correct, Lee...they are overpriced! What makes it an even more bitter pill to swallow (but pure sweet candy for the dealer) is that they are generally an easy sell, especially the ebony and polished mahogany models.

I oughta know...I demoed quite a few of them, and watched many people fork over quite a chunk of change without a whimper.

Visually pleasing instruments are usually an easy sell, especially when they also manage to sound pretty good too, and the CVP manages to do that very well...however, some people hear with their eyes.

The person behind the average Clavinova purchase is usually the lady of the home, and generally they are not remotely aware of the differences in their chosen instrument and a Tyros, which is viewed as more of a synthesizer/keyboard instrument...they are also more concerned with how it will look in the living/music room, and that it can be used for the kid's piano lessons.

My biggest beef with the CVP was the lack of pitch/mod wheels...otherwise, they were a really nice instrument to play...great keyboard action, and, the higher end CVP's had double the polyphony of a Tyros.

But, yes, a tad overpriced for sure.

Ian

#397908 - 01/07/15 06:54 PM Re: NAMM Winter 2015 Leaks........ [Re: ianmcnll]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Ian, that Waldorf piano looks really cool. I can't find anyone selling it in the US.

I recently bought a Kurzweil SP4-7 as a 76 key board for use at home, which I enjoy playing on its own and as a midi controller for rehearsal purposes with my Korg Pa900. I love having the extra keys (but love the light weight of the 61 key board to take out with me).

This would be another cool home studio option. Do you know if you can import any sounds or are you restricted to just what they provide at manufacture?

#397910 - 01/07/15 07:14 PM Re: NAMM Winter 2015 Leaks........ [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Graham, it certainly does look cool, and it sounds great from the demos I've heard.

Here is one of my favorite demo guys, Katsunori Ujiie (it's in Japanese, but has excellent English captions) giving it a go.

Click on the black bar at the top of video [English Captions]

I don't think it will load new sounds, but for my purposes, that won't matter, as it will also be used to control my Tyros4, which has oodles of sound options.

Primarily, I like the flat top, and, how it sounds basically out of the box, which is how Ujiie is playing it.

I like his enthusiastic, but unbiased approach to each keyboard he tries out.

I may also look at the new Yamaha CP4 Digital piano which he also tests elsewhere on his site (also with captions) and appeared thoroughly knocked out by it.

I'm hoping the Waldorf will be distributed here in Canada...I'm asking around.

Maybe Frankie or George could give us some info about US?

Ian

#397926 - 01/08/15 06:34 AM Re: NAMM Winter 2015 Leaks........ [Re: ianmcnll]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Graham, it certainly does look cool, and it sounds great from the demos I've heard.

Here is one of my favorite demo guys, Katsunori Ujiie (it's in Japanese, but has excellent English captions) giving it a go.

Click on the black bar at the top of video [English Captions]

For people that want a flat top piano master keyboard, there is the Kawaii VPC1... Sadly it has no onboard sounds, but uses vsts..

The interesting part of this unit is the controll on the front side, which makes it a perfect stand for any arranger or workstation..

I don't think it will load new sounds, but for my purposes, that won't matter, as it will also be used to control my Tyros4, which has oodles of sound options.

Primarily, I like the flat top, and, how it sounds basically out of the box, which is how Ujiie is playing it.

I like his enthusiastic, but unbiased approach to each keyboard he tries out.

I may also look at the new Yamaha CP4 Digital piano which he also tests elsewhere on his site (also with captions) and appeared thoroughly knocked out by it.

I'm hoping the Waldorf will be distributed here in Canada...I'm asking around.

Maybe Frankie or George could give us some info about US?

Ian

http://keyszone.boards.net

#397933 - 01/08/15 08:34 AM Re: NAMM Winter 2015 Leaks........ [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Nice demo thanx for the link great sounds!!

#397972 - 01/09/15 07:26 AM Re: NAMM Winter 2015 Leaks........ [Re: Dnj]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I could only get Japanese CC to work. How does one see the English subtitles?

#397973 - 01/09/15 08:08 AM Re: NAMM Winter 2015 Leaks........ [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Jim,

On the video above, click on the black bar at the top of the screen (where it says "Waldorf Zarenbourg Demo&Review[English Captions]) ...at the opening video, you may have to click on CC to get subtitles.

Ian

#397974 - 01/09/15 08:27 AM Re: NAMM Winter 2015 Leaks........ [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

You could probably get close enough with a Tyros 4/S-950, KORG, Audya, Etc units.. to many of the sounds heard in this video...just sayin' whats all the fuss?

#397976 - 01/09/15 08:55 AM Re: NAMM Winter 2015 Leaks........ [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
You could probably get close enough with a Tyros 4/S-950, KORG, Audya, Etc units.. to many of the sounds heard in this video...just sayin' whats all the fuss?

But you could never get the real time comtroll over the sounds, thats what you get with all thos knobs on the fromt side.

For me more brands should make that format of stage piano.... They are perfect underground for your arranger, A setup like this makes 3 keyboard setups possible again... And 2 keyboard setups verry accesible, espescially to all those former organ players enjoying more keybeds/manuals

http://keyszone.boards.net

#397977 - 01/09/15 09:14 AM Re: NAMM Winter 2015 Leaks........ [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bachus
Originally Posted By: Dnj

But you could never get the real time comtroll over the sounds, thats what you get with all thos knobs on the fromt side.

For me more brands should make that format of stage piano.... They are perfect underground for your arranger, A setup like this makes 3 keyboard setups possible again... And 2 keyboard setups verry accesible, espescially to all those former organ players enjoying more keybeds/manuals

Lugging 3 KBs to gigs ?. eek2 confused2 surprised sounds like 1965 all over again,... lol

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online