SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#397816 - 01/06/15 09:08 AM Re: Old Subject iPad or Laptop [Re: bruno123]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
This may be of some help as well.

It's an older video of me, but I'm a bit older, too.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#397837 - 01/06/15 02:04 PM Re: Old Subject iPad or Laptop [Re: bruno123]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
John,
I have used my IPad for 5 years and will never go back to a laptop just to display leadsheets. I use two different programs.
1. UnReal Book
2. Good Reader

Each has it's own benefits and cost under $5.00 each.

My iPad also serves as a DJ system when needed. I have over 6000 leadsheets on it and we'll over 500 MP3s when needed. I keep it backed up and actually have a 2nd IPad just in case.

Deane

#397843 - 01/06/15 04:35 PM Re: Old Subject iPad or Laptop [Re: bruno123]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
John, I'm an Apple Fan Boy, just my preference it works for me Apple equipment is not inexpensive but the eco-system works well with our iPhones, iPads and Macs.

I like using the unReal book for lead sheets on the iPad, why?

1.It's sits nice and out of the way of my view and the audience's view of me.
2.It's a piece of cake to create playlists.
3.The search function works very well and fast, I can call up a lead sheets in a matter of seconds
4.It works with a dual pedal for turning pages, although I don't use it all the time it is a handy tool. Actually turning pages with a simple touch of the screen works well too minus the pedal
5. I have thousands of lead sheets and fake books stored in the iPad.
6. unReal book allows you to extract single sheets from fake books
7. You can create hot spots on the lead sheets to take you directly to another page or back to the beginning of the sheet.

Although I tried the following with my PA3x it proved to be more trouble progamming than it was worth for my use.

8.The ipad can be programmed so that when you pull up a song the correponding registration for the song will be pulled up. Really makes it one touch, pull up the song and the Pa3x is set for the style for the song.

Not saying my way is better than a Windows laptop and/or newest Surface pro aren't great tools, just my choice with the iPad.

#397844 - 01/06/15 05:53 PM Re: Old Subject iPad or Laptop [Re: bruno123]
Dnj Offline

For MY needs NOTHING can replace a LAPTOP for navigational features in live play.......
I don't need it for any charts as I don't use them,....lyrics once in a while on obscure requests songs using txt. files,.....but as an Mp3 player for different needs during a show, backing tracks, dj songs etc,it's the best for me,....tried the tablet thing a few months ago Galaxy 10.0 dumped it quick what was I thinking? Touch screen is useless vs a keyboard. enjoy what you use.

#398020 - 01/09/15 04:44 PM Re: Old Subject iPad or Laptop [Re: bruno123]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I have the same Asus Transformer as Don Mason, and love it. Along with a 32 GB micro SD card, and 3.0 USB port, it holds more than enough .pdf sheet music and other files... more than I'll ever need. The screen is just the right size, and I also like the option of using it as a laptop or tablet.

BTW I just starting using this Microsoft Bluetooth mouse from Amazon that so far works good. (I could never get the hang of a touch pad).

I suppose the moral of this post is that it is becomming more and more a paperless society, and that's a good thing

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#398021 - 01/09/15 05:22 PM Re: Old Subject iPad or Laptop [Re: bruno123]
Dnj Offline

#398029 - 01/10/15 05:19 AM Re: Old Subject iPad or Laptop [Re: bruno123]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi Bruno:

You have made an interesting observation. I'm a non-performing songwriter (but I do sing my own demos) and don't really need a laptop or iPad to keep my songset in order for a gig.

I do own both and for me, the laptop wins... handsdown! Apps are mostly for folks with phones... and programs are for serious activities. I don't like Apple trying to control my songs or life in general. A laptop or desktop allows me to do what I darn well please with my own original songs... or to set up a spreadsheet, type a letter (or novel) and do things not related to social networking or texting.

I use my iPad for playing chess using a free app. At one time, I kept some of my songs on it but I had to go around Apple in order to do it. Finally, in disgust... I decided to take it off-line. Don't get me wrong... I'm not implying that Microsoft is one bit better than Apple. I hate them both!

One of my New Year's Resolutions is to attempt to migrate over to one of the versions of Linux that will still allow me to create songs and music without interference from these two giant computer bullys.

Best of luck with your musical objectives.

Dave Rice

http://ShowCaseYourMusic.com/DaveRice/

#398030 - 01/10/15 05:57 AM Re: Old Subject iPad or Laptop [Re: bruno123]
rosetree
Unregistered

I was against Apple for a long time until Roland more or less forced me to consider an iPad in order to control my Integra conveniently.
Meanwhile, the iPad is extremely useful to control my new SD 1000, which has no buttons. There are two fantastic apps called Set List Maker (with midi functions) and iMidiPatchbay, which works like a hardware patchbay. I'm especially happy with the latter, you can turn a simple keyboard into a split or layer keyboard addressing different sounds of the Ketron module, you can route midi signals, you can send bank/program change messages to change sounds pressing a single button, or transpose easily. No, it is not a simple non-serious gadget like some smartphone apps, it is a very serious tool.

#398031 - 01/10/15 06:11 AM Re: Old Subject iPad or Laptop [Re: bruno123]
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
I use ubuntu(Linux) operating system on a old dell laptop with 3 gig mem , duo processor. My music programs are audacity for live audio recording and rose garden for midi and live. Both programs work great . They are free. I also have a windows xp system that has power tracks and band in the box. In comparison the windows system is pretty simple , Linux you have to work at , but it's well worth because of stability , no big corporation to subscribe with and online threats. Both systems have their advantage. I also had a 8 track recorder that was great for quick mastering, but preferred the computer screen for my work. Good luck with your choice

#398032 - 01/10/15 06:24 AM Re: Old Subject iPad or Laptop [Re: bruno123]
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
This nye party I recorded "at the hop" by Danny and the juniors with harmonies on my laptop then transferred it to my small MP3 player. Use it on stage as an experiment , no problems with audio quality and it eliminated bringing a laptop. Most of the time I play live but I had alittle fun with the tech stuff. I'm retired from playing full time , just performing once a year .

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online