SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#397779 - 01/05/15 06:52 PM Old Subject iPad or Laptop
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I went form laptop to iPad for my music because of size. I know that the subject “Laptop or iPad” has been discussed before but I would like some more opinions.

Do you still feel the same way about using an iPad, If you do why?

I find that there is nothing like my laptop to get everything organized. I have most of the same stuff in my iPad but it is scatted. Unlike my laptop where I have 100 songs in Lyric, script (notes) , MPs, and wave files. All on one page, all I have to do is select.

Opinions please,
John C.

Gary, especially yours!

#397782 - 01/05/15 07:18 PM Re: Old Subject iPad or Laptop [Re: bruno123]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
John, for me, it's strictly the laptop. I currently use a netbook, which is very low profile, provides all the programming attributes of a standard laptop, weighs just over a pound, 9-inch, very bright display, and most folks don't notice it on the console. Additionally, I can easily operate it while performing a song using a remote, wireless mouse that is situated just below the keyboard on a specially designed pad held in place by the keyboard's weight. No one in the audience can see it, and no one knows you are even using it.

In this photo, the mouse is situated just beneath the girl on the left's right hand. I don't believe she even noticed it sitting there on the mouse platform.

If you get the opportunity to come down to Marathon Key between January 18th and March 18th, and bring your rig, I'll be more than happy to show you some of the shortcuts I've developed over the years to make the transition between songs seamless.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#397786 - 01/05/15 09:38 PM Re: Old Subject iPad or Laptop [Re: bruno123]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I now have what I consider the best of both worlds for my needs. It's an ASUS Transformer that is a small laptop, but the keyboard is detachable if you choose to use it as a tablet. Touchscreen, or pad, or wireless mouse.
Love it!

#397789 - 01/06/15 02:20 AM Re: Old Subject iPad or Laptop [Re: DonM]
Bachus Offline

For me its currently windows, because of the touchscreen support..

I have a 27" self created windows tablet... Kind of like an imac, withouth keyboard, but with touchscreen, weights about 10 kg, and runs my DAW..

After addapting, touchscreen works very well for real time actuons, as long as the screen and controll elements are big enough... Allmost all my VSTs work great in ableton live under windows..

I still have my mavbook, because of logic and mainstage... Which only run on MAC and both are great applications. If you really require these applications, you must go mac, otherwise you can just as well go windows with the added touchscreen support..

Mobile devices like IoS and android, are only usefull as musicreaders, their musicall applications are all stand alone and miss the integration that DAW software on mac or pc offers you

Edited by Bachus (01/06/15 02:29 AM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#397794 - 01/06/15 05:17 AM Re: Old Subject iPad or Laptop [Re: travlin'easy]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Gary, might you have more pictures of how the little platform that supports the computer is attached to the stand?

John C.
Thanks

#397795 - 01/06/15 06:21 AM Re: Old Subject iPad or Laptop [Re: bruno123]
rosetree
Unregistered

If you want to use Windows, have a look at the Microsoft Surface Pro 3! I bought it some months ago. It is a tablet with absolutely full laptop performance, Windows 8 and 12 inch display. I have the version with i5 processor and 128GB. You can attach a lightweight full-quality keyboard if you want to convert it to a full laptop.

#397797 - 01/06/15 06:33 AM Re: Old Subject iPad or Laptop [Re: ]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: rosetree
If you want to use Windows, have a look at the Microsoft Surface Pro 3! I bought it some months ago. It is a tablet with absolutely full laptop performance, Windows 8 and 12 inch display. I have the version with i5 processor and 128GB. You can attach a lightweight full-quality keyboard if you want to convert it to a full laptop.

Its an awesome device, expensive, yet worth its money...

However, for using it realtime as a daw on stage, its a) to small sceen, b) not enough HD space ((VSTs these days horde memmory))

But as a desktop/laptop replacement its awesome, and also for running some smaller VSTs, or even Varranger.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#397803 - 01/06/15 08:21 AM Re: Old Subject iPad or Laptop [Re: bruno123]
travlin'easy Offline

I'll shoot some video of the platform and how it works.

Gary cool

#397808 - 01/06/15 08:35 AM Re: Old Subject iPad or Laptop [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
I'll shoot some video of the platform and how it works.

Gary cool
clap

btw I still have the 2nd tier bars here wink

#397811 - 01/06/15 08:53 AM Re: Old Subject iPad or Laptop [Re: bruno123]
travlin'easy Offline

Here ya go!

Gary cool

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online