SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#397565 - 12/30/14 08:30 AM Re: Wanna do a freebie? [Re: Keith W. Bailey]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Originally Posted By: Keith W. Bailey
I played off and on for a retirement home and for free. Then I asked for $25.00 per I hour program. They didn't call me but twice! I felt that if my time wasn't valuable to them! I would not come. Gas , equiptment and still they wanted it free!

Unfortunately, in any business, once you begin doing something for FREE, you suddenly become known as the guy that will perform for FREE! Not only does this effect your income, it effects the incomes of all of those who perform for a living on a daily basis. You cannot survive in ANY business if your products and services are provided free of charge. In my case, I want to be known as the highest priced entertainer in the region. For some strange reason, consumers tend to believe that if it cost more, then it must be better. Something like the price of a watch. $10 for a Wallmart special, $10,000 for the Rolex.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#397566 - 12/30/14 08:57 AM Re: Wanna do a freebie? [Re: guitpic1]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I hear ya Gary and your right. What I volunteer for effects no other entertainers. The VFW never paid for entertainment for the picnic and probably never will even if both myself and the regular guy turned them down. I make it known when I do this sort of thing its a special donation and not my regular mode of business.
BTW I'm doing NYE at the VFW for a girl who runs a benefit for her Horse Farm. She takes in unwanted horses along with her regular business. I've done a few benefits for her and she will not let me do them or NYE for free. She understands business and pays me more than I would ask for if I were booking it normally. She also knows I do the picnics for free. Last year I tried to donate some money back and she said "No, its your business and you do a great job" She gets it.
I never have or would try to undercut another performer. We had a name for them back in the day.
And you are right about "Perception"
People associate price with quality. Sadly for some groups or "committes" its all about the price.

Edited by Bill Lewis (12/30/14 09:04 AM)

#397568 - 12/30/14 10:53 AM Re: Wanna do a freebie? [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
You hit the nail on the head, Bill. The VFWs and American Legions here all pay for entertainment. When I stopped playing at the American Legion in Havre de Grace, MD about 12 years ago, they were paying me $175 for a four-hour Friday night gig in the lounge. I played there every Friday for 7 years. My counterpart across the river at the VFW was getting the same pay for Friday night there. We would often get together before the jobs at a nearby waterfront restaurant and help each other out with tips on new locations to play. It was very beneficial for both of us.

Both locations are 100 percent KJs now, the audiences amount to about a dozen followers who all bring their own Karaoke CDs and sing the same songs every week. According to some of the lounge customers I come across lately, the lounges at both locations are pretty much empty, and the American Legion at Havre de Grace is about to close down for good. Gee, I wonder why? wink Ironically, I got a call from the VFW across the river a few months ago to see if I could possibly do some Friday or Saturday evenings for them. I said sure, but I don't know if you can afford my rate, which is $125 an hour. I thought the lady manager would swallow the phone. She said they only pay $175 for the job. No wonder the only thing they can attract is amateur KJs, and from what I've heard, they do the job for $100 for a 4 hour nite.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#397570 - 12/30/14 01:12 PM Re: Wanna do a freebie? [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
When the band we had in NY was in its early stages - early college years - we were asked by a local JCC to play a gig for them ... if we played the first one for free, we could name our price after that ... so we played the first one for free - we are STILL waiting for that 'next one' ...

#397573 - 12/30/14 03:09 PM Re: Wanna do a freebie? [Re: tony mads usa]
KORG80 Offline

NICE!

#397582 - 12/31/14 09:07 AM Re: Wanna do a freebie? [Re: Bill Lewis]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I get invited to events at private residences all the time. When I arrive, I'm led to where the grand piano is.

I tell everyone I'm off, and play enough each week.

I also refuse to sit in when I'm out and someone recognizes me.

HARUMPH!

R.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online