SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#39702 - 03/27/03 05:32 PM Re: Lyrics on Midis
technicsplayer Offline

Mike:

let's take it step by step.

The key fact is plainly stated in 4.12 namely that you can load midi files as nx technics sequences, save them as technics sequencer files and the lyrics play back fine from technics files.

we have only just discussed here how lyrics can be added to midi files using a variety of external programs.

by now we should know it is possible to save sequences as midi files because this has already been described in 3.39; therefore it should be possible to save a midi file from the kn sequencer, add lyrics in an external program, then load and save as a technics sequence again.

#39703 - 03/28/03 12:07 AM Re: Lyrics on Midis
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Quote:
Originally posted by Catsailor:
Technicsplayer,

Why do you get upset when someone knows more about a subject than you? You need to realize that you don't know everything. Anyone can repeat what is already written in a manual.

Of course it may help you to comprehend a bit further in your search for knowlegde if you actually knew who wrote the manual in the first place.

#39704 - 03/28/03 01:38 AM Re: Lyrics on Midis
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have about a 1000 lead sheets scanned and organised in my laptop in a Paperport program. I thought, in view of this thread, to load lead sheets that were associated with 7000 songs saved on SD from various members.
I saved the scan as .jpg and .bmp and using the procedure outlined in 3.75, loaded to floppy. With both formats, an error message came up that the format was not combatable with the 7000.

I used fairly high compression and the size was about 30kb.

Now what ? Maybe something is encryped into the Paperport program that Technics doesn't like,but, I thought these formats were universal.

Bernie

#39705 - 03/28/03 01:59 AM Re: Lyrics on Midis
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hi chaps
I guess if we were all sitting together around a KN7000 with Alec (TechnicsPlayer) Pagida taking us through it step by step then we'd all have grasped it in the end...
Oh the limitations of e-mail type communication eh - we can't see one anothers faces - read their expressions - feel their emotions and know when they are getting frustrated because they can't understand what is in this instance quite a complicated concept...although no doubt very simple to achieve if you know what you're doing eh Alec...
Still keep plugging everybody cos I'm learning all the while; although I must admit to not quite understanding yet why a midi file needs to suddenly become beneficially an NX file - what does that do for it I wonder - sorry Alec but I'll keep reading and trying to understand.
Best wishes
Roger M

#39706 - 03/28/03 02:03 AM Re: Lyrics on Midis
technicsplayer Offline

Bernie:

yes, it should be universal if no fancy encoding settings are hidden away in the menus. Did you (cut and) resize to 640 x 240 (3.77)?

#39707 - 03/28/03 02:32 AM Re: Lyrics on Midis
technicsplayer Offline

Roger:

In this thread I'm beginning to feel like one of those guy's playing several chess games at the same time!

There are a multitude of answers depending on what you want to achieve. Basically, anything you can do in a midi file on the 7k you can do in a NX file, it's just you can do far more and better in an NX file.

So for the sacrifice of the universal format which will load in your friends yamaha, you can get far better voices and effects on your 7k, something that your friend tries on his yamaha with XG format. The difference in this case is that your friend can't play back NX on his yamaha whereas you can play back XG on your 7k.

#39708 - 03/28/03 02:46 AM Re: Lyrics on Midis
Mike ORegan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by technicsplayer:
Mike:

let's take it step by step.

The key fact is plainly stated in 4.12 namely that you can load midi files as nx technics sequences, save them as technics sequencer files and the lyrics play back fine from technics files.

we have only just discussed here how lyrics can be added to midi files using a variety of external programs.

by now we should know it is possible to save sequences as midi files because this has already been described in 3.39; therefore it should be possible to save a midi file from the kn sequencer, add lyrics in an external program, then load and save as a technics sequence again.

Alec,
You still don't get it! If I follow the procedure you advocate, I finish up with an "emasculated" Technics sequence (with the accomp and style truncated or missing altogether). Why does the production of a MIDI file on Technics keyboards have to be such a palaver! My KETRON produces a FULL MIDI file, complete with accomp and styles, with no trouble at all!

#39709 - 03/28/03 04:08 AM Re: Lyrics on Midis
Bernie9 Offline

Alec
No, I thought I didn,t get that far. I will try different size scan(small)on different songs. If printed, the song would be 8 1/2x11. I might have to try and export it to an editor and resize if you think that might be the problem. I will try different scans .

Thanks
Bernie

#39710 - 03/28/03 05:48 AM Re: Lyrics on Midis
Bernie9 Offline

Alec
I resized to 640x240.It took the picture,went through the procedure,saved whole thing to disk, reloaded and it played fine, but,a picture of trees and sky came up on the screen, not my scan.

That's okay as I don't think it will work for my purposes any way. With only one screen, I either look at the music or the main screen, and two screens are preferable.

#39711 - 03/28/03 05:50 AM Re: Lyrics on Midis
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike ORegan:
Alec,
You still don't get it! If I follow the procedure you advocate, I finish up with an "emasculated" Technics sequence (with the accomp and style truncated or missing altogether).

well that's just a different question which is immaterial because can be entirley avoided for this particular scenario.

If you specify your problem exactly in the first place I'm able to give an exact working answer. If you ask generalisations, I can only reply with the general steps towards an answer. If then you come back with further information we can move towards an answer.

From your description now it would seem you wish to add lyrics to an easy record sequence, rather than a technics multitrack, or an apc to smf conversion.

There are various ways to achieve your aim; here is one suggestion that will preserve the easy record sequence with the absolute minimum effort required to achieve the aim of adding lyrics, following the general steps already described, and entirley avoiding any requirement to convert the easy record to smf format:

Copy the song to song 2 in the sequencer.
Delete all tracks except track 1 and save song 2 as a nx midi.
Add lyrics to song 2 in your favoured program, save as a midi and then load as a nx single song back to song 2 in the sequencer where your easy record still sits in song 1.
Ensuring that the track assignments in song 2 exactly match those in song 1, copy tracks 2 to 6 from song 1 to song 2.

There may be many variables of controller events that may have been saved with the midi which result in a different backing sound in terms or reverb etc. This is easily rectified by saving the initial conditions of song 1 in a panel memory, selecting song 2, bringing back the panel memory conditions and panel writing them permanently to the new lyrics song.

Song 2 is now a perfect rendition of your easy record with lyrics.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online