Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#396654 - 12/01/14 11:11 AM Biab
fozzie Online   content

Band in a box 2015 has come.

#396658 - 12/01/14 03:50 PM Re: Biab [Re: fozzie]
Dnj Offline

Isn't BIAB border line karaoke/smf/backingtrack/etc,etc,? or am I missing something here?

http://www.pgmusic.com/

Edited by Dnj (12/01/14 03:51 PM)

#396660 - 12/01/14 04:15 PM Re: Biab [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Isn't BIAB border line karaoke/smf/backingtrack/etc,etc,? or am I missing something here?

Uh, three words come to mind here; POT, KETTLE, BLACK.

chas

#396661 - 12/01/14 04:23 PM Re: Biab [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles
Originally Posted By: Dnj

Uh, three words come to mind here; POT, KETTLE, BLACK.

chas

uh, I actually tried BIAB years ago, just not my cup of tea,. but I prefer to create my own music tracks when needed versus live style play using mutitracking so I can get the groove and parts I need for the song,..."POT, KETTLE, BLACK."? don't think so as I always professed to any musician to MIX it up and try all forms of playing music...

carry on

#396663 - 12/01/14 05:55 PM Re: Biab [Re: fozzie]
cgiles Offline

okay.

#396664 - 12/01/14 06:25 PM Re: Biab [Re: fozzie]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
A friend of mine has a slightly older version of BIAB...the jazz styles are the best I've heard anywhere, and far better than any arrangers out there. It's a pity that you can't play the styles "live" but have to input the chords ahead of time...still, the resulting midi file is very impressive and rivals completely multi-tracked SMF.

It does come with quite an extensive library of tunes (including a lot of standards) and there are more tunes available as well as optional style packs.

Pretty cool program, for sure. Apparently invented by a dentist way back in 1988.

Ian

#396665 - 12/01/14 06:54 PM Re: Biab [Re: fozzie]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
I use BinaB, an older version. Some years ago, I took tunes from Dick Hyman’s ‘Chord Substitutions and Changes for 100 Songs Every Musician Should Know’, plugged the changes into BinaB, edited each tune down to drums, bass and jazz guitar (using the BinaB rhythms), and converted them into midi files. They have been my ‘cocktail hour’ staples for years now. I use PowerTracks to edit all midi files …
Ciao,
Jerry
PS; I also did many of Hyman's second '100 tunes ...'the same way.

#396666 - 12/01/14 09:10 PM Re: Biab [Re: Jerry T]
rphillipchuk Online   content

Loc: Ontario Canada
Jerry

What a great idea that is... I will attempt this myself

Ron

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#396678 - 12/02/14 05:03 AM Re: Biab [Re: fozzie]
cgiles Offline

Okay, just to be clear, I think BIAB is an absolutely AMAZING program which does what it does better than any of it's competitors (I'm not even sure it has any). Maybe I misread Donny's first post (and if I did, I apologize), but it sounded to me like a putdown of BIAB users, and I thought that was odd coming from someone who used (exclusively) various other forms of NON-LIVE backing. For me, if it ain't LIVE, it's Memorex (whatever form 'Memorex' takes).

If your objective is to create polished backing tracks, then, like Ian, I think BIAB is as good or better than any arranger...and a heck of a lot cheaper.

chas

#396680 - 12/02/14 05:53 AM Re: Biab [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles
Okay, just to be clear, I think BIAB is an absolutely AMAZING program which does what it does better than any of it's competitors (I'm not even sure it has any). Maybe I misread Donny's first post (and if I did, I apologize), but it sounded to me like a putdown of BIAB users, and I thought that was odd coming from someone who used (exclusively) various other forms of NON-LIVE backing. For me, if it ain't LIVE, it's Memorex (whatever form 'Memorex' takes).

If your objective is to create polished backing tracks, then, like Ian, I think BIAB is as good or better than any arranger...and a heck of a lot cheaper.

chas

Chas no offense taken,....believe me if I still played KB with a groups as I did for over 25+ years, using any automatic styles, smf, mp3's, etc, etc, wouldn't exists in my music. But since the last 18 years the business has changed for the full time pro in so many ways other means to make a living had to be utilized in my world. I took it by the horns and ran with it, ....and very successfully I might add to keep the sound of MY band alive only doing it by myself using many tools to do so.. keys

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online