SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#396693 - 12/02/14 09:54 AM Re: The times they are a changin' ... [Re: tony mads usa]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Donny, most musician/entertainers don't drop dead on stage. The vast majority die after suffering debilitating illnesses, some that may last up to a decade before that final day arrives. Of all the musician/entertainers I know, and I know a lot of them, only one dropped dead on the job - Jimmy McKinney, which was a forum member and good friend. Jimmy was a great keyboard player, and an outstanding sax player. Jimmy shoved every dime he made into his pocket, (most of his jobs were cash), then went about finding new ways to piss it away. He never put a penny in the bank, never figured on retiring, and he didn't. When he died, his wife was slammed with debt that she never knew existed. There were bills that came in from places she never heard of, and when he departed this wonderful world, he left her with more than a quarter-million in unpaid bills. He had a dozen credit cards that were in both names, but she never knew that, and they were all maxed out. He had no life insurance, no retirement, no bank account, and lived the high life right up till the end.

Now, NOTHING - ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, in this world is free. Someone pays for everything. Even love isn't free. Remember the free love of the 70s? We're still paying for that one. There is NO free ride! Someone, somewhere, pays the tab for everything in this world. Hell, you can't even die for free - the funeral industry is a huge enterprise, one that makes a killing on people dying of natural causes. In this instance, I'm going to cheat the bastards, though. My carcass will be donated to the University Of Maryland School of Medicine. When they're finished with me, they'll cook me down to a box of ashes and send me home.

So, judging from your response above, can I assume that you have not set up an IRA? I sincerely hope you have, if for no other reason, for your family's sake when you take the dirt nap. Dying ain't cheap.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#396695 - 12/02/14 10:47 AM Re: The times they are a changin' ... [Re: tony mads usa]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I wish I could have retired when I was around 14...then I could have played just for the fun of it and wasted the profits on silliness like food, clothing and shelter.

Ian

#396709 - 12/02/14 01:37 PM Re: The times they are a changin' ... [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
....when he departed this wonderful world, he left her with more than a quarter-million in unpaid bills. He had a dozen credit cards that were in both names, but she never knew that, and they were all maxed out. He had no life insurance, no retirement, no bank account, and lived the high life right up till the end.

I know a lot of guys that pray for that scenario smile smile. Guess it depends on the relationship you have with your spouse. Anyway, maybe that's the price they pay for outliving us. Wherever possible, women should always marry for money, not love. Much safer. Plus, it would inspire us guys to work harder to make more money.

Just an alternate POV.

chas

#396753 - 12/03/14 07:44 PM Re: The times they are a changin' ... [Re: travlin'easy]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Donny, most musician/entertainers don't drop dead on stage. The vast majority die after suffering debilitating illnesses, some that may last up to a decade before that final day arrives.

Well, there he goes ... spreading that good old Maryland sunshine around!
smile

#396760 - 12/04/14 12:28 AM Re: The times they are a changin' ... [Re: Mark79100]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: Mark79100

Originally Posted By: jimlaing
.......that it is a constant marketing thing to keep it all going year after year! :-)
-Jim

On the other hand, reading through more posts here, I'll never forget what that fellow said to me 20 years ago. I was "tired" at the time and commenting on it. He replied "Would you rather be making your living driving a taxi cab in New York City?"

I think about that to this day and maybe I should think about it even more now.

My own particular saying goes like this: "The WORST of this job is still better than the BEST of any other!"

MARK

I drove a taxi in Melbourne Australia for 7 years and actually drove an armed holdup getaway with a sawn off shotgun at the back of my head ... you gotta do whatya gotta do to survive.

#396764 - 12/04/14 04:07 AM Re: The times they are a changin' ... [Re: tony mads usa]
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
How much was the split Nigel?
Were you Darcy Dugan's driver ??
Ray dance

#396766 - 12/04/14 05:01 AM Re: The times they are a changin' ... [Re: Nigel]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Nigel
I drove a taxi in Melbourne Australia for 7 years and actually drove an armed holdup getaway with a sawn off shotgun at the back of my head ... you gotta do whatya gotta do to survive.

I drove cab part time for about a year to help out a buddy, and the worst thing that happened to me was a little old lady (who must have been in her 90's) sat in the back and kicked the back of the front seat all the while yelling for me to drive faster!

She was going to the liquor store...which was where I left her, the charming old bat.

Jeeeez! That was quite an experience to go through, Nigel, and I suspect you were pretty careful not to drive over any bumps, lest that shotgun went off accidentally...in any case, I'm sure the last thing you wanted going through your mind was a load of buckshot!

You were a lucky man...sometimes robbers will "neutralize" any witnesses , not to mention the chance of being shot by the coppers if a shootout should occur.

Ian

#396772 - 12/04/14 09:13 AM Re: The times they are a changin' ... [Re: ianmcnll]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
...the worst thing that happened to me was a little old lady (who must have been in her 90's) sat in the back and kicked the back of the front seat all the while yelling for me to drive faster!

After a particularly bumpy landing (max crosswind), I had a 'little old lady' ask if we landed or were we shot down. Charming old bat.

chas

#396780 - 12/04/14 11:06 AM Re: The times they are a changin' ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
Donny, most musician/entertainers don't drop dead on stage. The vast majority die after suffering debilitating illnesses, some that may last up to a decade before that final day arrives.

Well, there he goes ... spreading that good old Maryland sunshine around!
smile

THE DEAD MUSICIANS DIRECTORY
a site about dead musicians and how they got that way

http://elvispelvis.com/grimreaper.htm

#397040 - 12/12/14 07:56 PM Re: The times they are a changin' ... [Re: tony mads usa]
cgiles Offline

This thread got so morbid and sad, I thought I'd put the final cap on it. Break out your hankies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaAgJBAvWP0

chas

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online