SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#396573 - 11/29/14 11:37 AM Re: Super Display [Re: hammer]
124 Offline

Cheers, guys. Like yourselves, I don't lack for musical ability, playing or vocally, and I've made all kinds of tweaks - continually at it, in fact. I really should make more effort at this 'customising' game, though.

#396617 - 11/30/14 10:02 AM Re: Super Display [Re: 124]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: 124
That's cool. I'm not sure I'd attempt at making them from scratch. I think they'd stick out like a sore thumb from the onboard styles.

Making them from scratch can be a bit tedious, and at one time, that was the only way.

The player would need at least a basic set of arranging/playing skills (i.e. be able to play the bass lines, guitar parts, pads etc.), and a good sequencer program that allows easy editing.

For me, it sometimes becomes a combination of using a style for the basics, and then overdubbing the other parts to flesh it out, but more often than not, I can do the whole SMF with just a style only.

Ian

BTW...check your Private Messages.

#396644 - 12/01/14 06:58 AM Re: Super Display [Re: hammer]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Hi ... interesting topic ... like Gary, I also do a "demonstration" at some point during many gigs. I did a gig yesterday; it was at a place I hadn't played in ~6 months, and I could see plenty of "new" faces (as well as people I remembered). So, about halfway thru the gig, I told them a bit about the keyboard, played some quick lines on single sounds (piano, sax, clarinet, trumpet, organ, etc.) then quickly showed how I play/control a style (showing them that I use a foot-pedal to add drum fills), then showed them a quick song where I first showed that I had guitar in the left hand, piano layered with strings in the right, and a solo trumpet up on my 2nd little keyboard. I could tell some of them seemed fascinated with how it all works ... (esp.
based on the comments and questions after the gig).

I like the idea (can't remember who mentioned it) of playing an occasional piano-only piece; I do that, and sometimes play a classical medley that uses no styles (just piano, strings, an oboe, stuff like that) ... helps remind people that it's being done live etc.

-Jim

Edited by jimlaing (12/01/14 06:59 AM)

#396649 - 12/01/14 09:37 AM Re: Super Display [Re: ianmcnll]
124 Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Originally Posted By: 124
That's cool. I'm not sure I'd attempt at making them from scratch. I think they'd stick out like a sore thumb from the onboard styles.

Making them from scratch can be a bit tedious, and at one time, that was the only way.

The player would need at least a basic set of arranging/playing skills (i.e. be able to play the bass lines, guitar parts, pads etc.), and a good sequencer program that allows easy editing.

For me, it sometimes becomes a combination of using a style for the basics, and then overdubbing the other parts to flesh it out, but more often than not, I can do the whole SMF with just a style only.

Ian

BTW...check your Private Messages.

Cheers, Ian. Check your PM.

#396651 - 12/01/14 10:46 AM Re: Super Display [Re: hammer]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Try your PM again, 124...sorry about any mixup. blush

Ian

#396657 - 12/01/14 02:48 PM Re: Super Display [Re: hammer]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Getting back to the original post of the video monitor.
Unless you either enlarge the score to cover the screen or have something else there - like maybe 2 pages - that size screen seems like overkill. And, as Gary originally said, it blocks the audience's view of the performer. But then again, some of us should be hidden from view - lol.
organ

#396708 - 12/02/14 01:24 PM Re: Super Display [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
The point has been entirely missed! The gentleman that uses this setup is a very accomplished player who has vision only in one eye. The scores and/or leadsheets can be enlarged to fill the entire screen if needed. He sets up sideways to the audience and it works very well for him. Where is it written that a keyboard player must face the audience???? His other option is to give it all up.
Deane

#396714 - 12/02/14 03:50 PM Re: Super Display [Re: hammer]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Dean, while it's not a hard, fast, written rule that you MUST face your audiences, I consider eye contact with my audiences a very important aspect of any performance. Without it, they may as well be listening to a radio.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#396717 - 12/02/14 04:38 PM Re: Super Display [Re: hammer]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted By: hammer
The point has been entirely missed! .
Deane

Thanks for the photo. I was very interested in the display, and was trying to make out the name of the display. I was also surprised how quickly your post went south, missing the whole point of the information you were trying to share. Any info on the display used? Looks like IPS ??

The venue seems to be at a work shop of some sort, since there is another keyboard player along side with headphones. I doubt they were was an audience.

Regards,

Jerryghr

Edited by Jerryghr (12/02/14 04:45 PM)

#396718 - 12/02/14 05:10 PM Re: Super Display [Re: hammer]
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Right! The audacity of blind performers! Or do they think that musicianship and talent is all that matters?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online