SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#396534 - 11/28/14 04:53 PM Re: Super Display [Re: hammer]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I really don't see anything automatic when you are playing an arranger keyboard. It it was automatic, it wouldn't need those black and white keys. We essentially control every aspect of the arranger, we select the components of the style we wish to utilize, then we play those components in the chords we select, much the same way an organ, accordion, piano, etc... is played. the only real difference is the looping, which is looped at the tempo we select and control. The right hand comps and instrumental runs are obviously, not automatic. All of this relies on the skills of the person sitting behind the keys.

Donny, I give them 150 percent every time I get on stage - it's what we do. The difference is in how we provide that entertainment and the tools we utilize. I just found the style I wish to use for the song I'm working on. Now I'm in the process of modifying the OTS settings, tempo, and other style components to make it sound the way I want it to sound. Another couple hours and I'll have it ready to use. Or, I guess I could spend $5 and download a midi file from Hittracs or some other site and not play the keyboard at all. NAH! I'll keep doing it the hard way.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#396535 - 11/28/14 05:26 PM Re: Super Display [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
I really don't see anything automatic when you are playing an arranger keyboard. Gary cool

Gary.....honestly you select a style.....and thru your chord changes the AUTOMATIC accompaniment plays the style which in reality is a midi file .....in no way are you playing the base line, or any other parts in the style manually the computer inside the unit is driving it under your control no more no less..I repeat the PARTS ACCOMPANIMENT being played are AUTOMATICALLY playing because of the chords it recognizes....I would give more credit to someone who multi-tracks a sequence SMF tracks by track vs playing a premade style.
They all sound good headphone .....just a different way of operating the finished result, now the right hand is a different story.....I like them all and use them to their fullest on stage.
And sing also.

Edited by Dnj (11/28/14 05:38 PM)

#396537 - 11/28/14 06:58 PM Re: Super Display [Re: hammer]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Donny, you know as well as I do that most people that use MIDI files don't make them themselves - they either pirate them off one or more of the sites on the Internet, or they buy them with embedded lyrics from one or more of the many pro midi sites online for under $5 a pop. The vast majority of the players wouldn't take the time to create their own MIDI files. If you do, more power to you my friend - but most folks do not!

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#396539 - 11/28/14 07:17 PM Re: Super Display [Re: hammer]
Dnj Offline

Gary I know many many top pro players who use their own custom made midi files songs and let me tell you they sound amazing on stage ....but that's a whole other can of beans....there are many ways to make music....
don't go thru life as a musician with BLINDERS on...explore, experience, & enjoy!!

#396544 - 11/28/14 08:14 PM Re: Super Display [Re: hammer]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I much prefer styles as opposed to SMF because I get to choose the chords (and re-harmonize if I so wish; very difficult on a SMF unless you strip it down to only bass and drums) and also I can change styles in the middle (or any point) of a tune at will and completely change the character of the tune.

Plus, it's extremely easy to extend the length of a song literally on the fly...putting markers in SMF works okay, but most people don't bother to learn how.

Like Gary, it has been my experience that nearly everyone who use SMF are using commercial files and it's extremely rare to find anyone who makes all their own SMF from scratch. In fact, very few do any editing of the files at all, as the majority available (especially the commercial ones) are already very good to excellent.

I don't really care one way or the other how other players use their arranger...I just know that using styles has always worked a treat for me.

As far as the visual aspect from the audience...I don't kid myself that they think I'm playing all the parts, but they can see me doing lots of left hand chording and plenty of right hand work including using pitch and mod wheels. I don't sing so there is no voice covering the melody, so I have to work especially hard with proper sound/style choices to keep things interesting.

I've always worked steady and often at great paying gigs so I must have been doing something right. Even after retirement, I still get the occasional call, but unless it's extremely lucrative, or something for a close friend, I usually turn it down.

Plus, I'd rather voluntarily put myself out to pasture, than die snortin', kickin', and twitchin' with my nose in the mud on the track. I'm not ready to exchange my Arranger for a Harp. wink

I still play everyday, either for my own fun, or with some friends/neighbors as audience.

I still feel the Arranger is the veritable Swiss Army Knife of keyboards....a little bit Preset (with some decent editing functions) synthesizer, a little bit Workstation...they've come a seriously long way from the boom-ticky-tacky 16 rhythms and 32 sound portables of not all that long ago.

I'm still on the honeymoon with my Tyros4 even after over two years of owning it, and it might possibly be my last major arranger purchase, as it covers my needs so perfectly.

Ian

#396548 - 11/28/14 10:23 PM Re: Super Display [Re: hammer]
124 Offline

So Donny, do you make your own SMF's from scratch?

#396550 - 11/29/14 01:20 AM Re: Super Display [Re: hammer]
Dnj Offline

I have in the past made my own smf its easy....but when needed I record custom backing tracks Mp3 play them off my laptop and play on top...

#396558 - 11/29/14 09:01 AM Re: Super Display [Re: hammer]
124 Offline

That's cool. I'm not sure I'd attempt at making them from scratch. I think they'd stick out like a sore thumb from the onboard styles.

#396565 - 11/29/14 10:36 AM Re: Super Display [Re: 124]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: 124
That's cool. I'm not sure I'd attempt at making them from scratch. I think they'd stick out like a sore thumb from the onboard styles.

124 ... I've made a number of backing tracks (SMF) using the on-board styles, changing drum kits, bass instruments, accomp voices, tempos ... etc. on both the kn6000 and the Pa900 ... on the Pa900, I've also recorded a vocal backing as an mp3 and played/sung over that ...

I wouldn't try to make one from 'scratch' either - wouldn't know where to start confused1

Edited by tony mads usa (11/29/14 10:39 AM)

#396567 - 11/29/14 11:18 AM Re: Super Display [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

being styles are a main feature using an arranger kb......and they all have the ability and tools to edit and create custom styles from scratch....and you need the talent as a player to be able to play well enough to create them properly.....manufacturers should start developing tutorial DVDS for beginner, intermediate, & advanced players so they can learn how to create styles for them selves......this would eliminate so many of the repetitious ones we already have which work well BUT sometimes you want to make the song parts your own with horn stabs, bass lines, specific string passages etc, etc, ...this is what making music is all about....
doing it YOUR WAY not having some company do it for you. don't doubt your abilities I know you can do it also...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online