SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#396368 - 11/25/14 08:14 AM Why an arranger keyboard doesn't always work .....
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
On my regular jobs, many of them just work better on straight jazz guitar or piano.

Dining room jobs work with few vocals and piano or guitar only.

Cocktail hours and lounge work is better suited to an arranger at the minimal end, and with added players as the event or venue gets bigger and noisier.

My main job has both: a single in the dining room, outside events along with cook-outs and golf events...in a lounge for cocktail hour...everything up to a 9 piece group.

On an average week, I'll bring in several great players...everything from a percussionist to a UK professor on
flute and sax. Great fun, and a real way to break the monotony of listening to myself all the time.

Arrangers work fine for 1/2 my jobs. The rest work best done another way.

Whatever. The thing is to play learn and enjoy the process, wherever it takes you.

Russ

#396369 - 11/25/14 08:39 AM Re: Why an arranger keyboard doesn't always work ..... [Re: captain Russ]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I consider the arranger the veritable "Swiss Army Knife" of keyboards.

We use the Tyros4 in the studio for, not only auto accompaniment (usually just bass and drum tracks), but for laying down overdubs of pianos, guitars, synths, strings, brass etc.. Often we will use the midi and audio recorders in the Tyros4 if time is of the essence. Two of us (my buddy plays guitar) can usually manage to do the work of at least a 6-piece band, although we occasionally bring in extra players, like a guest guitarist or perhaps a violinist or sax player.

On gig jobs it's usually just me and the Tyros4, although I sometimes add another performer; usually a singer/guitar player..

The less mouths to feed, the more money goes in my bank account, and, as long as the product is well produced, it makes no difference to my employer how the results are arrived at.

Having said all that, I must say that retirement from clinician/demo work is wonderful, and, I'm actually doing a lot more playing/recording (especially at home) than when I was working.

Glad to see you're still plunkin' away Russ.

Ian

#396370 - 11/25/14 08:53 AM Re: Why an arranger keyboard doesn't always work ..... [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I guess it all depends upon the jobs you select. I've never had a job that an arranger didn't work, but this likely is because I select jobs specifically suited for the type of entertainment I provide. Pretty smart, eh? wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#396372 - 11/25/14 10:01 AM Re: Why an arranger keyboard doesn't always work ..... [Re: captain Russ]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
I don't play that much anymore. But, I always considered arranger keyboards a necessary evil. I used it because I had to, but every time I have an opportunity to play with other musicians I will take it.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#396373 - 11/25/14 10:01 AM Re: Why an arranger keyboard doesn't always work ..... [Re: mirza]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Me, too!

R.

#396374 - 11/25/14 10:12 AM Re: Why an arranger keyboard doesn't always work ..... [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Me three ...

Looking forward to next week when I get to play a gig with the guitar player from our band in NY ... But it's not for everyone ...

#396375 - 11/25/14 10:24 AM Re: Why an arranger keyboard doesn't always work ..... [Re: captain Russ]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I get my kicks playing with a few of my buds at least once a month...best part is I get to play a really well kept Hammond B-3. Sometimes I bring the Tyros4 and put it on top of the organ.

Otherwise, I don't miss playing in a group...at one time that was the only way we could play and get gigs, unless we went the solo piano/piano bar route.

The arranger gives me a choice and I really appreciate having that choice.

Ian

#396379 - 11/25/14 12:45 PM Re: Why an arranger keyboard doesn't always work ..... [Re: captain Russ]
vangelis Offline

Loc: FLORIDA
I would also agree with Ian,swiss army knife, and my opinion can do a job 100% with an arranger because they have become very powerful in recent years.

#396411 - 11/26/14 09:20 AM Re: Why an arranger keyboard doesn't always work ..... [Re: captain Russ]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Sorry russ I clicked on this expecting to hear why you felt an arranger did not always work . You have not actually explained that . You just stated other preferred ways of working that still essentially required keys in some shape or form . So why would an arranger not work ?

You need a guitar sound ... an arranger has that covered . You need a piano sound so style ... It's covered . I don't get your point

#396414 - 11/26/14 09:36 AM Re: Why an arranger keyboard doesn't always work ..... [Re: spalding1968]
Dnj Offline

An arranger kb in the "right hands" can do almost anything musically wink

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... not too loud!! cool2

I'm so glad so many don't even know what it is....just sayin' keys

#396417 - 11/26/14 09:44 AM Re: Why an arranger keyboard doesn't always work ..... [Re: captain Russ]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
My BK9 arranger has some nice features for any situation. Dedicated buttons to give you a Full Piano or Organ setup instantly. I used to have a Style set up on my G1000 for just Piano/Strings. And the Bk9's Mute Track button will take out all the backing tracks of a Style except the Bass and Drums so you can do a nice Piano Trio thing. I'm having a lot of fun with that as I have some Christmas gigs where it will be perfect.

I understand what Russ was getting at. Full Arranger Mode is not correct for every setting but most Arrangers can be adapted to fit the gig.
As the Professionals here know you have to adapt to the situation in many ways.
He's a lucky guy to be able to have such variation in his gigs.

#396457 - 11/26/14 04:33 PM Re: Why an arranger keyboard doesn't always work ..... [Re: captain Russ]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
It's the same discussion I have with chas . An Arranger is just a keyboard with excellent solo voices and optional accompaniment . You don't have to use all the features it provides . You can pick and choose for whatever you need .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online