SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#395887 - 11/14/14 07:59 AM Re: Additional Small PA system [Re: frankieve]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: frankieve
First thing is you are comparing two different types of systems, the Bose/LD Maui/RCF Evox. are your "Portable Line array"

The HK Nano 300/600, are more of the conventional speaker design.

Benefits of the line array design, is less drop off of volume as the distance from the speaker increases, and the physics of line arrays allow for a much bigger sweet spot, thus eliminated the hot spots. But because of this, you tend to lose the impact presence a conventional pa design gives.

But if you look at any venue that has invested into their sound systems, broadway theaters, outside amphitheaters, live sound venues, you will almost always see a line array set-up. Because of the dispersion of sound is much more controlled and spread out.

The difference here is that we all play in different environments, so each speaker system will not always be the best for that situation, but these systems we are looking at are the best at what they do, and you will not be dissatisfied which whatever you use.

The last variable is the size of the room, amount of people, type of music being played, amount of bass wanted/needed, and the volume to be played at.

This is why let's say a Bose compact, or LD Maui 11, or HK nano 300. are very similar for smaller gigs. But move to a bigger room or more people, you might find yourself running out of gas with these systems. Simple solution, get another, or start off with the bigger versions of these, and just turn it down at the smaller gigs.

In a few weeks I possible will be having a small demonstration at my store, which will include

Ketron Audya 4,5, midjay pro
Yamaha Tyros 5
Roland Bk9
Korg PA series

playing through

LD Maui 11,28,44
HK Elements
HK Nano 300, possibly 600
RCF Evox

Frank all very valid points on speaker systems.....

being the very busy Holiday Gig Season is almost upon us would that demo at your store possibly be in January sometime when it's slower gig wise for many of us pro players?.....I would love to try to get there to CT for sure.....
please let us know dates when you decide. "ROAD TRIP"

Edited by Dnj (11/14/14 08:00 AM)

#395888 - 11/14/14 08:33 AM Re: Additional Small PA system [Re: musicforyourday]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The only way I would get to see this in January is if Frankie was bringing the gear to the Florida Keys. Think about it, Frankie. Palm trees swaying in warm, tropical breezes, setting up in a Tiki Hut, scantily clad young girls dancing to the music and AJ demoing his keyboards and singing Jimmy Buffett songs. BTW: AJ is a great singer as well as a great musician.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#395892 - 11/14/14 09:04 AM Re: Additional Small PA system [Re: frankieve]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: frankieve

In a few weeks I possible will be having a small demonstration at my store, which will include
Ketron Audya 4,5, midjay pro
Yamaha Tyros 5
Roland Bk9
Korg PA series

playing through
LD Maui 11,28,44
HK Elements
HK Nano 300, possibly 600
RCF Evox

Frank ... that sounds great, but as Donny says, perhaps in January? ... weather permitting ...
Of course it depends on YOUR schedule ...

#395896 - 11/14/14 09:23 AM Re: Additional Small PA system [Re: musicforyourday]
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
AJ from Ketron will be doing the Ketron demonstration. I will pass along the idea to him

#395898 - 11/14/14 10:09 AM Re: Additional Small PA system [Re: musicforyourday]
Dnj Offline

Thanx Frank keep us posted...

#395904 - 11/14/14 10:50 AM Re: Additional Small PA system [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Sounds great , Frank ... would be great to see AJ again ...
Hopefully there is a good Italian deli nearby for lunch ... grin

#395911 - 11/14/14 11:48 AM Re: Additional Small PA system [Re: guitpic1]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Very good unbiased description.

If you could borrow a BOSE for the demonstration it would be a complete comparison.

Regards,

Jerryghr

#395914 - 11/14/14 12:23 PM Re: Additional Small PA system [Re: musicforyourday]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Just one other thought. Number of inputs.

If you are a solo gig...probably no big deal.

If more than one, than 3 to 4 inputs are nice...or some sort of mixer is required.

I'm almost always looking to go the two(stereo) outs on our Tyros. The HK Nano allows this. A single Bose compact does not.

It's probably not that big a deal, but I can hear the difference when only one output is going to a single Compact vs. running two Compacts. The stereo just seems bigger..maybe my imagination.

And A/B ing a single Compact with one Tyros input vs. the Nano with stereo inputs on one speaker....seems again to me that the Nano just has a bigger sound..?

Maybe just to my ears.

smile

#395934 - 11/14/14 05:15 PM Re: Additional Small PA system [Re: musicforyourday]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Actually, the single Bose Compact does allow this. You can fire the outputs of the Tyros through the RCA input, or the 1/8-inch stereo input. It's still mono coming out, though. And, yes, it is just your imagination, but that's OK. My wife told me the mind was the second thing to go - I don't remember what the first thing was. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#395937 - 11/14/14 06:25 PM Re: Additional Small PA system [Re: guitpic1]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: guitpic1

It's probably not that big a deal, but I can hear the difference when only one output is going to a single Compact vs. running two Compacts. The stereo just seems bigger..maybe my imagination.

Nope, it's definitely not your imagination. It is a well known fact that Yamaha arrangers do not collapse well to mono. Yes, they will play in mono, but mostly all of the samples, the stereo effects (delays, chorus rotary spkr) and the voices/drums in the styles sound at their very best when played through a stereo system.

I've used Bose, and can vouch for your findings. I used a pair of Standard L1 (not the Compacts) with both a PSR-S910 and a Tyros3 for an entire summer of concert work, and the difference between using one (mono) and two (stereo) was quite substantial to my ears, and those of my listeners as well. A Bose system in stereo far outperforms any other stereo system I've used...not only is the coverage far superior, but the stereo separation is evident at a much further distance than a regular system.

If you sweat the details at all, like I do, you will prefer the Yamaha in stereo. Of course, if you're old and/or your hearing is shot, or, you can live with the sound being compromised to more than a fair degree, then using any speaker system in mono would probably be okay.

I experimented with one and two Bose, and after hearing the Bose in stereo, I could not go back to mono...everything sounded flat and one-dimensional in the latter, and, although I suppose one could force themselves to get used to it, perhaps to save money or shorten set-up/break-down time, I just couldn't live with it on any level.

Ian

PS...just as an added note...when I was demoing arrangers for Yamaha, they were explicit in their instructions that I use a stereo sound system, even if it meant using one from another brand.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online