SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#395427 - 11/03/14 04:45 PM Re: Strange gig? [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I play for funerals all the time - I'm also a church organist. It's truly amazing what people ask to have played at their funeral. In Detroit there was a famous sports announcer who did the Red Wings hockey announcing on radio and later at the arena - Bud Lynch. Everyone knew his voice. I got a call from his daughter asking if I would play a track on a homemade CD. The pastor gave his OK and even gave me the cue for when to play it. The track was a simple sentence in Bud's own announcer voice, "Last minute of play in this period." Best non-religious thing I've ever played. still have the CD.

I often play a self-edited version of Vince Gill's "Go Rest High on That Mountain" just before or after a funeral, and I definitely want that played for mine.

#395431 - 11/03/14 05:13 PM Re: Strange gig? [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
No funeral for me, guys. Maybe a non-religious memorial service for the immediate family, or if I didn't piss all the money away fast enough, a monster wake. I've made arrangements to have my carcass donated to the University of Maryland School Of Medicine. They keep me for up to a year, some med students get to throw up while the instructor shows them my body parts, maybe some young doctor will learn how to properly re-sect a bowel, then they'll turn my into a box of ashes and send me home. The family can, at that point, do what they wish with what's left of the old man.

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (11/03/14 05:14 PM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#395435 - 11/03/14 08:04 PM Re: Strange gig? [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
No funeral for me, guys. Maybe a non-religious memorial service for the immediate family, or if I didn't piss all the money away fast enough, a monster wake. I've made arrangements to have my carcass donated to the University of Maryland School Of Medicine. They keep me for up to a year, some med students get to throw up while the instructor shows them my body parts, maybe some young doctor will learn how to properly re-sect a bowel, then they'll turn my into a box of ashes and send me home. The family can, at that point, do what they wish with what's left of the old man.

Gary cool

Gosh Gary, that cleared my depression right up.

smile

chas

#395436 - 11/03/14 08:08 PM Re: Strange gig? [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I'm going to be cremated and have them put my ashes in an ash tray on the coffee table. Then all the people who smoke can add their ashes to it. That way people can say "look at Tom, He's still gaining weight."

Tom

#395437 - 11/03/14 08:24 PM Re: Strange gig? [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Tom Cavanaugh
I'm going to be cremated and have them put my ashes in an ash tray on the coffee table. Then all the people who smoke can add their ashes to it. That way people can say "look at Tom, He's still gaining weight."

RIM SHOT!!!!

#395438 - 11/03/14 09:54 PM Re: Strange gig? [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'll tell you about a strange gig I have coming up! I'm scheduled to play for my first ex-wife's 70th birthday party in December! Worse than a funeral? Not really; we are friends now and have a son and grandsons in common.
The good news is that my niece, Megan Sheehan will be singing with me. What a talent she is! Check her out if you want to hear some great music. www.megansheehan.com

#395475 - 11/04/14 03:44 PM Re: Strange gig? [Re: DonM]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Don ... not so weird - I played my first ex's Daughter's graduation, her SON's wedding and her MOM's 80th birthday party! Not to mention singing at 2 son's funerals. Family is forever - even if marriage isn't.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online