SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#395171 - 10/25/14 11:59 PM What I learned on today's gig!
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I learned something today. No, I learned a FEW things today.

I got a call from an agent two days ago to play a bar/restaurant as a strolling German accordionist “working the tables and the outdoor Biergarten” for their Oktoberfest celebration. I’m good at this type of thing, so I’m able to play and observe simultaneously.

1) People are begging for some kind of diversion whether it’s musical entertainment or a “who can hold a 1 liter stein at arm’s length for the longest.” Simple conversation no longer seems to be the only glue that holds them together and keeps them occupied.

2) Those who aren’t “begging” for diversion but are in conversation mode already still really appreciate live music not only to listen to but also to sing along with. They’ll stop what they’re doing and start singing “Take Me Out To The Ball Game” at the drop of a hat! They’re also fascinated watching a musician move his fingers and putting notes together (DJ‘s don‘t generally get that kind of attention, do they?).

3) Couple’s sparsely conversing with each other warm up to both music AND their partner at the same time

4) Reserved people become UN-reserved when showered with music

5) Folks really DO respond to and enjoy good music as evidenced by.....I got three $20 tips and numerous $5-$10 ones.

6) Folks ask for older songs enough to make me realize that great songs from the past just plain endure. There are many “young” people who, when asked for a request, will surprisingly ask you for songs like Edelweiss, Dr. Zhivago, the Godfather, Frank Sinatra biggie’s, Sound of Music songs, a polka, and even The Happy Wanderer. Not one person asked for Lady Gaga or Taylor Swift or Chris Brown!

7) Between singing, playing and talking all at the same time, I made blunders and mistakes galore. No one even noticed! It’s the momentum of the moment they’re caught up in. Makes you wonder why you practice every day to become better!

8) People view and treat you differently and with more respect when their first impression of you is through your music.

9) If you look at today’s music scene as a whole you can get might depressed. But…..if you experience it one-on-one, individually with your audience, you start to realize how much music makes a difference in someone’s life as you interact with each person.

I learned you can still affect people’s lives through your music. You just need to find a different way to reach them now in an age where people, when they hit a “dead spot,” reach for their cellphones, smart phones, mp3 players, etc as emergency procedures.

I’m still burned out of playing, but a little less so after today! It’s refreshing to know you can still make a difference in the world and that it’s not all about just earning a paycheck!

I feel a little more encouraged after today to get back into playing again. There’s nothing in the world that can compare with bringing enjoyment into someone’s life through your music!

Mark

#395173 - 10/26/14 01:28 AM Re: What I learned on today's gig! [Re: Mark79100]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Thank you Mark for sharing some thoughts I, and perhaps others of us, tend to forget.

Bernie

#395178 - 10/26/14 06:40 AM Re: What I learned on today's gig! [Re: Mark79100]
billyhank Offline

Mark,

It's always great when you can have as much fun performing as your audience has while being involved in it.

#395180 - 10/26/14 07:31 AM Re: What I learned on today's gig! [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Mark

All your obsevations are right on. People do react positivly to quality entertainment. Its just a shame that there aren't more opprotunities like that for us musicians.
I'm going to do a Halloween party this afternoon where they just want me to DJ.
( Boring ! ) I wouldn't want to have to do the typical Halloween stuff on keyboard anyway so its just as well.
I'd love to get a keyboard gig playing quality music where I could interact with the crowd. They are scarce.

Glad you had a good time.

#395181 - 10/26/14 07:40 AM Re: What I learned on today's gig! [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
Mark
I'm going to do a Halloween party this afternoon where they just want me to DJ. ( Boring ! )

Doesn't have to be boring if you DJ & Sing alot of songs and interact with the crowd cool2 .....mix it up baby!

#395182 - 10/26/14 08:06 AM Re: What I learned on today's gig! [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I do interact quite a lot and do some"bits" to get the crowd motivated. Don't sing in that situation. Just not right for me. I just fell if they want a DJ they want the original stuff. If I have my keyboard and am playing while I sing I'm viewed differently so singing is a big big plus.
Sorry but just don't have the enthusiasum for this gig although I would never let that show.

#395183 - 10/26/14 08:14 AM Re: What I learned on today's gig! [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
I do interact quite a lot and do some"bits" to get the crowd motivated. Don't sing in that situation. Just not right for me. I just fell if they want a DJ they want the original stuff. If I have my keyboard and am playing while I sing I'm viewed differently so singing is a big big plus.
Sorry but just don't have the enthusiasum for this gig although I would never let that show.

The day I go on a gig NOT excited as hell to perform for people is the day I give it up!!

It is my honor, privilege & passion to share my talents with people every day & night,....I give it 150% every show no matter the venue or genre. I am a Very Lucky Man to have been able to play music for a living for over 48 years and still going strong! If someone doesn't LOVE it they can't express it thru their music, it's just an extension of your soul. keys

#395192 - 10/26/14 01:47 PM Re: What I learned on today's gig! [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Mark, for all the reasons you noted, is the reason that I continue to perform nearly every day of the week and love every minute of it. It's my audiences that keep ME going.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#395199 - 10/27/14 03:45 AM Re: What I learned on today's gig! [Re: Mark79100]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
There’s not much to add here. Mark you are so right about you, people and your music -- it’s a gift, a blessing to meet the needs of people through music, too many of us get involved in our own performance.

I can help a person crossing the street, but when I play music it touches people in special places.

Music carried me through a nightmare divorce years ago. For 4 hours I was flying hi; when the job was over all my negative came back. How lucky we are!

Hey guys, get excited before it’s all over. (oops, I’m preaching)

John C.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online