SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#394992 - 10/18/14 06:21 PM Guitar Center service, or lack thereof!
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Guitar Center has been open in Shreveport for a year or two now. I had never been there, since I try to be loyal to the hometown store where they have treated me right for many years.
But, I wanted to see a particular mixer. I walked in, spent 10 minutes searching for it, finally found it, and looked it over. I decided I would just buy it since the other store doesn't carry that brand.
There were only two or three customers in the store and probably twice that many employees.
I walked up to the counter and stood there for a while, and was totally ignored. I was waiting for my wife to join me, so I walked over to the keyboard display. Not much there. Only arranger was a low-end Yamaha. She finally came in and asked if I bought anything. I said no, and I'm not going to either.
I spent about 30 minutes there and probably could have just picked up the mixer and walked out without being noticed.
As I got to the door, I stopped, turned around, and in a voice loud enough to be heard, (since there were no customers left in sight), said "Thank you for shopping, please come back and see us!"
Two or three of the employees finally looked at me, but still never said a word.
Nothing like being totally ignored by half-baked wanna-be guitar players working for minimum wage. Surely if they were on any kind of commission they would at least TRY to sell you something.
I suppose they don't know that a grey-haired old man could have been a pro musician for 40 years and probably has bought more gear than they sell in a year, and MAY have a few bucks in his pocket.
I did relay this story to GC main website.

#394994 - 10/18/14 06:41 PM Re: Guitar Center service, or lack thereof! [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
It's the same way here, Don. Dozens of employees, all wannabees, not a pro in the bunch, and they completely ignore the older customers. That's why I send all the folks I know to FrankieV.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#395003 - 10/19/14 07:18 AM Re: Guitar Center service, or lack thereof! [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

I wish Frankie had this particular mixer. He is always my first choice.

#395005 - 10/19/14 07:25 AM Re: Guitar Center service, or lack thereof! [Re: DonM]
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
DonM. Interesting article and I agree they are certainly not worth you passing money over to them, just think their response if you had a problem with a purchase.
Perhaps businesses are smaller outlets here in the UK and so more responsive to customers requirements.
Most seniors like you have cash on hand so your visit they loose out.

#395007 - 10/19/14 07:32 AM Re: Guitar Center service, or lack thereof! [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Internet buy keep or return that's the way of the world now

#395010 - 10/19/14 08:45 AM Re: Guitar Center service, or lack thereof! [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

It's interesting that I can buy the same mixer on line from Musician's Friend and pay LESS than getting it in the store. They are owned by the same company.
However, I won't get it there either!

#395016 - 10/19/14 12:16 PM Re: Guitar Center service, or lack thereof! [Re: DonM]
KORG80 Offline

Which mixer Don?

God Bless,
Don

#395022 - 10/19/14 04:18 PM Re: Guitar Center service, or lack thereof! [Re: DonM]
billyhank Offline

My exact same experience at the GC near me.

#395027 - 10/19/14 08:05 PM Re: Guitar Center service, or lack thereof! [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

They emailed me offering their apologies and a "really good deal" on the mixer I wanted. Too late!

#395028 - 10/19/14 08:10 PM Re: Guitar Center service, or lack thereof! [Re: DonM]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I'd buy the mixer, and then refuse to use it...that'll fix 'em!

Ian

#395029 - 10/19/14 08:52 PM Re: Guitar Center service, or lack thereof! [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

I actually found a restock for 2\3 the price, plus free shipping and no sales tax.

#395037 - 10/20/14 10:15 AM Re: Guitar Center service, or lack thereof! [Re: DonM]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Sadly, that's the way it is. I go to Guitar Center occasionally, because a former guitar student and son of a friend works there. He goes out of his way to be helpful to the"old man".

Sweetwater has a good approach. I have an assigned person, who follows up on all details. I get photos of instruments
I'm interested in, and assistance with any problems.

ZZounds is the WORST. An endless number of emails...sometimes more than 5 a week after a purchase. You have to opt out every time you order.

TERRIBLE way to do business.

Russ

#395040 - 10/20/14 03:19 PM Re: Guitar Center service, or lack thereof! [Re: captain Russ]
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
I just bought a Casio Privia Pro PX-5S from Sweetwater last week. Even though it was an online purchase I had a dedicated salesman that walked me thru everything and did a complete follow up after it arrived. He even sent me links to some Casio groups which had all the vids I needed to get things rolling. It was one of the best online purchase experience I have had!

P.S. The Casio website has a user forum that is regularly monitored by Casio. They often post replies directly from Casio personal that is often unsolicited. I expected replies to my posts to be from users.......not Casio techs!! Kudos to Casio!!

#395044 - 10/20/14 05:53 PM Re: Guitar Center service, or lack thereof! [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Yes I've had the same Sweetwater sales person for years now. I think they are the best of the internet music companies.
Well, except for Frank of course!!! He is always my first choice.
I bought this particular mixer from Music123, because they had a restock and it saved me 40 bucks.

#395049 - 10/21/14 09:24 AM Re: Guitar Center service, or lack thereof! [Re: Dnj]
Tyrosman5
Unregistered

I too relie on Frank Venstesca for my musical needs. He is always there for you and gives the very best prices. You earn
respect and reliability being attentive over years and Frank
has earned our remarks. All my friends have bought from him
and they have also became his customers for good. Lloyd

#395084 - 10/22/14 05:02 PM Re: Guitar Center service, or lack thereof! [Re: DonM]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hey Don:

It's funny how the atmosphere differs from store to store with Guitar Center. In almost every case, an attempt to have an arranger demonstrated will end up as a bag of zeros. They don't seem to understand... and I'm seeing fewer and fewer arrangers in the DFW area.

Hope you are feeling better.

Dave Rice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online