SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#394929 - 10/17/14 11:20 AM Seeking full sheet music for 'Phantom of the Opera
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
HI - I've wanted to buy a full arrangement for the Phantom of the Opera (main theme or overture) ... but most of what I've seen are simplified arrangements. I'm willing to buy it, but no music-selling outfit will show enough pages for me to know if it's the full score. I'm especially looking for a version that includes the fast-moving 'stuff' that one would play in the right hand (see links below), usually on a pipe organ sound, while playing the simpler melody line with the left hand. I can sort of 'make up' something for this by ear, but this is a case where I'd love to learn the real part, since it's so distinct (and sounds so good!) Does anyone know of a source of such a "full" or "advanced" version of the music for this?

The "extra" lines are heard clearly in the first link, and somewhat in the second link, if anyone wants to know what I'm talking about here ...

Listen starting around 1min14seconds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDQDoTpipjY

Or:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57ouRc6Zm18

Thanks!
Jim

Edited by jimlaing (10/17/14 11:24 AM)

#394930 - 10/17/14 02:13 PM Re: Seeking full sheet music for 'Phantom of the Opera [Re: jimlaing]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
The music is published by Hal Leonard ... perhaps you could contact them ...
http://www.halleonard.com/contactus.do

#394932 - 10/17/14 02:17 PM Re: Seeking full sheet music for 'Phantom of the Opera [Re: jimlaing]
rosetree
Unregistered

This is a full score adapted for a brass quintet, for example:
http://www.stretta-music.com/lloydwebber-das-phantom-der-oper-nr-495335.html
As it is marked as difficult, I guess nearly all motifs, melodies and sub-melodies are included. But you would have to find out which original instruments they correspond to.

#394935 - 10/17/14 03:19 PM Re: Seeking full sheet music for 'Phantom of the Opera [Re: jimlaing]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
One of my trademarks! have fun playing that piece ... I LOVE it. It's fun to shake the rafters with that massive pipe organ sound.

Attachments
UncleD.jpg

#394944 - 10/17/14 04:21 PM Re: Seeking full sheet music for 'Phantom of the Opera [Re: Uncle Dave]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
UD ... I remember you doing this ... can you give him any suggestions on finding the music he wants?

PS ... To quote an OLD radio and TV show: "who is that masked man ?!?" ...

Edited by tony mads usa (10/17/14 04:22 PM)

#394949 - 10/17/14 05:33 PM Re: Seeking full sheet music for 'Phantom of the Opera [Re: jimlaing]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I think the photo is of UD before his hair slipped from his head and stuck to his chin. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#394956 - 10/17/14 07:53 PM Re: Seeking full sheet music for 'Phantom of the Opera [Re: jimlaing]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Hair? Don't remember having any! That shot was almost 30 years ago. hee hee
I used to play the medley live and I morphed about 6 of the songs from the show together ... it was a total mashup with lines trading into one another. I could never have read it. The basic order was a little intro, then All I ask, Music of the night, Wishing you were Somehow here again, then the pipe organ kicks in for the main theme and it ends with Masquerade and Angel of music. If I was really feeling my Wheaties, I'd add Point of no return, but that was a belter ... I used it sparingly.
The shock value of the music wasn't enough ... I also had a smoke filled intro that featured hanging a full sized dummy from the rafters, swinging down into the bar area (on cue) and strobes and screams to set the mood - it was a crazy 7 minute dinner theater moment, but people ate it up.

#394963 - 10/17/14 10:01 PM Re: Seeking full sheet music for 'Phantom of the Opera [Re: jimlaing]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I sometimes do Phantom of the Grand Ole Opry. Starts with Carroll County Accident, morphs into Endless Sleep and ends with Long Black Veil. And there are some sad scary songs in it too. Sheet music actually is part of the act and appears on the back of Hank Williams' ghost, who's part is played by a drunk member of the audience who would ordinarily sing along at the top of his voice, about two words behind me.
If an encore is needed, I'll do "You Can Pick Your Nose, You Can Pick Your Friends, But You Can't Pick Your Friend's Nose". That's a hair-raiser and never fails to have the audience reaching for Kleenex.

#394975 - 10/18/14 05:26 AM Re: Seeking full sheet music for 'Phantom of the Opera [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

clap

#395033 - 10/20/14 07:52 AM Re: Seeking full sheet music for 'Phantom of the Opera [Re: jimlaing]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
HI - thanks for the links etc. ... between these and ones someone provided over at PSR Tutorial, I found what I need (piecing together from several sources). Now, it's a matter of learning that last-moving part ... looks like it'll be a challenge!

I just saw P.o.t.O. yesterday (in Durham, NC), and heard that overture with the 16h-note organ notes etc. - sounded fantastic. I'd like to know what organ sample they used (it sounded very good, at least as good as the Tyros 5's new pipe organs) ...

-Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online