SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#394864 - 10/16/14 01:07 PM When playing a song on an Arranger Keyboard ?
MusicalMemories Offline

Loc: Arbroath,Angus,Scotland
When playing a song on your arranger keyboard do you put your own stamp on it and play your own version or do you play and exact copy of the original ?

#394871 - 10/16/14 02:51 PM Re: When playing a song on an Arranger Keyboard ? [Re: MusicalMemories]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
The only way to play an exact copy would be to use a SMF or mp3 for background ... even then it wouldn't be exact, especially if it is a vocal ...
I use about 6 midi files for certain songs, other than that I use 'edited' styles or mp3 that I have created ...

#394874 - 10/16/14 03:14 PM Re: When playing a song on an Arranger Keyboard ? [Re: MusicalMemories]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I find an appropriate style and play. If they want to hear the original, they can hire the REAL guy, or play MP3s, tapes, records, etc.

#394878 - 10/16/14 03:52 PM Re: When playing a song on an Arranger Keyboard ? [Re: MusicalMemories]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Ditto!

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#394888 - 10/17/14 03:43 AM Re: When playing a song on an Arranger Keyboard ? [Re: MusicalMemories]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I just try to pick out a few important parts (like intros) and then do my own arrangement. Sometimes I'll completely change the style from the original. That's the great thing about arranger keyboards- it's so easy to put your own stamp on your songs!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#394895 - 10/17/14 05:47 AM Re: When playing a song on an Arranger Keyboard ? [Re: montunoman]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Hi ... for me, it depends on the song. For most songs, I "do my own thing" although I like to have it sound "reminiscent" of the original, but not identical. If a song has a 'signature' lick, I try to include that or something close to it. I do tend to try to select styles and sounds that are similar to the original, esp. for 'key' or 'signature' parts. For solos (say, guitar or sax or trumpet), for some songs I'll play something pretty close to the original, for others it's totally "my own". Just depends on the song and my feeling at the moment etc.

Examples (random thoughts that occur to me at the moment) ... when I play "Just The Way You Are", I tend to play the sax solo very close to the original. When I play "All Of Me" and I play a sax or trumpet solo, it's completely improvised. When I play the guitar solo [on Tyros5] to "Stairway to Heaven" (yes, I do play that occasionally if requested!), I play it nearly identical to the original. When I play a guitar solo in something like "Kansas City" or "Sweet Home Alabama", it's improvised.

For classical pieces or anything older than 1900 (20th century), I try to have the melody be "very close to as-written", and the chordal part of it "about right" (close to as-written or as-heard-played-by-orchestras) with less improvisation than when I play popular music from 20th century.

-Jim

#394901 - 10/17/14 06:34 AM Re: When playing a song on an Arranger Keyboard ? [Re: MusicalMemories]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Because I play mostly instrumentals, and don't have the advantage of song identifying lyrics, I try to keep the melody and chords recognizable to the average listener, yet still add some embellishments that a another musician might pick up on.

I very rarely play a song identical to the original recording, but, if there's a recurring motif, or solo, that is essential to the tune, I'll be sure to include it and try to make it as accurate as possible.

To me, the arrangement is like a recipe for a certain dish...some additional ingredients, or juggling the proportions, might improve the outcome, especially for oneself, but it may not be to everyone's taste.

Ian

#394908 - 10/17/14 07:18 AM Re: When playing a song on an Arranger Keyboard ? [Re: DonM]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
I find an appropriate style and play. If they want to hear the original, they can hire the REAL guy, or play MP3s, tapes, records, etc.

I love to play this way.... Just choose a style that the right timbre, and play along it... And thats why its a pitty that many of todays styles are almost somgspecific

However some songs, like for example Vangeliis conquest of paradise have such a specific timbre, that a songstyle comes in handy...

http://keyszone.boards.net

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online