SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#39474 - 08/26/05 08:02 AM Moving a midi file from Ensoniq to GMF
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I am postinmg for a friend, Jim Helwig.

Some of you may remember that I have an old Ensoniq SD-1 synth. I spent many, many hours doing sequences for it. It's a pre-GMF (general midi format) synth, so the sequences, in their present format, are not playable on anything except the SD-1. I purchased a program from Geibler Enterprises, which (among other things) has a conversion process which will convert the sequences into MIDI format, making them playable on the KN7k. This is my current project (then the SD card change-over from floppies).

#39475 - 08/26/05 08:37 AM Re: Moving a midi file from Ensoniq to GMF
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
JOhn,
I still have the Ensoniq Sampler EPS 16+ Turbo somewhere here in the studio. I did sell the SD1-32 that was a great keyboard.
I also have the Ensoniq DP/4 Parallel Effects Processor that has over 600 different effects and amp emulations. I haven't fired either up in a long time though.
Bebop

#39476 - 08/26/05 03:39 PM Re: Moving a midi file from Ensoniq to GMF

A word about JimHelwig, if I could play as well as Jim, I don't know if I would ever want to use a styles. I listen to a track on his Ensoniq, he recorded piano only and his seletion of songs were something very special. Musician's songs.
If he makes a transfer to GMF or Technics I will ask him to share with this froum.

John C.

#39477 - 08/26/05 06:12 PM Re: Moving a midi file from Ensoniq to GMF

Here's a secong post from Jim,
Hi John - Thanks!! I wonder if you could post this question:

All of my SD-1 sequences shared one common thing, the drumkit that was used (Ensoniq's name) was "Kitchen Sink" and I always put the drum track on Track #1. Since GMF requires the drums to usually be on Track 10, how do I move the existing drum track over to that track? Or, since the conversion to MIDI format from the Ensoniq format requires just 1 keystroke - would it be better to convert the file as-is then assign the drum track from the KN7000?? If someone would be willing to give me a mini "tutorial" on the process, I could do one then I should be able to convert the rest, since the drum track on all the Ensoniq sequences is on track 1, and the drums (I think) will be the major conversion issue. Anyone willing to do this, my email addy is jameshelwig_2000@yahoo.com I figured that this might be better rather than clogging up the forum with back-and-forth emails on the same subject.
Jim

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online