SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#394619 - 10/11/14 11:43 AM Tyros 4 vs. Tyros 5
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
I realize this has been covered ad infinitum...but time has passed...and I couldn't find the old thread.

So, Tyros 4 owners, would you trade up to Tyros 5? If so, why?
Tyros 5 owners who had Tyros 4...turn out to be a good move? If so, why?

Again, I find myself in the position of being able to upgrade Tyros 4 to Tyros 5. I do like some of the Tyros 5 voices and newer styles.

For those of you tired of this Tyros 4 vs. 5 thing...thanks for your patience here.

Thoughts?

Rog

#394620 - 10/11/14 12:10 PM Re: Tyros 4 vs. Tyros 5 [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

personally I'd wait for T6 at this point in time .....

#394625 - 10/11/14 12:34 PM Re: Tyros 4 vs. Tyros 5 [Re: guitpic1]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: guitpic1
I realize this has been covered ad infinitum...but time has passed...and I couldn't find the old thread.

So, Tyros 4 owners, would you trade up to Tyros 5? If so, why?
Tyros 5 owners who had Tyros 4...turn out to be a good move? If so, why?

Again, I find myself in the position of being able to upgrade Tyros 4 to Tyros 5. I do like some of the Tyros 5 voices and newer styles.

For those of you tired of this Tyros 4 vs. 5 thing...thanks for your patience here.

Thoughts?

Rog

Never owned a T4, but love my 76er T5

What does T5 offer to a T4 player
- 76 keys, if you pefer wider keybeds, its certainly warrants an update
- better DSP..
- organ world.... The best organs in an arranger, espescially the churchorgan
- 3 times as many SA2 voices... And many more other voices
- some new styles (50 )
- ensemble feauture, very innovative and loved by advanced players

Its the best arranger keyboard ever made... ( in my opinion) but then you allready own one of the best..

Its as Donny says, if this warrants a €2000 euro update price for you, make it a go.... But pricewise its best to skip versions and shoot for the T6 in 2 years...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#394630 - 10/11/14 12:56 PM Re: Tyros 4 vs. Tyros 5 [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

I wish someone would leak something about the new Yamaha arranger models S-series, Tyros series, or maybe something completly NEW.

#394637 - 10/11/14 01:47 PM Re: Tyros 4 vs. Tyros 5 [Re: guitpic1]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
If you don't already own a Tyros3 or Tyros4, and, you must have 76 keys, would use the new features like the Ensemble, the Organ World, more SA2 sounds, and the 50 or so additional audio drum based styles (whew!), then you couldn't go wrong getting a Tyros5.

I've had considerable time on a close friend's Tyros5-76, and it is a beautifully made, great feeling, and awesome sounding arranger.

However, in my opinion, I have an equally awesome sounding Tyros4, do not need 76 keys, and the "new" features on the Tyros5 aren't that important to me.

The Organ World does not interest me...I use mainly Jazz and Rock Organ variations so the Tyros4's SA Organs and easily customizable Drawbar (and Leslie sim) Organ section are already enough for my needs.

As far the SA2 sounds, although it doesn't have as many as Tyros5, the ones on my Tyros4 are sounds I would naturally use often and they cover all I need...and, I can tweak them to suit if necessary.

Certainly, every buyer will have different preferences, and the Tyros5's new features (over the Tyros4) may be a deciding factor, especially if they want far more extensive organ voices, and yes, the new Ensemble feature and other features mentioned above can't be ignored either.

Nevertheless, I think the primary reason for those choosing a Tyros5 is the availability of the 76-note keyboard.

Ian

#394639 - 10/11/14 02:28 PM Re: Tyros 4 vs. Tyros 5 [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
I wish someone would leak something about the new Yamaha arranger models S-series, Tyros series, or maybe something completly NEW.

My best bet would be... Added SA2 voices ...

They might even add something to pull the youth in, touchscreen, knobs, arpeggiator and so ething like the yamaha mobile sequencer accesible trough the touchscreen..

They might really surprise everyone, but dont expect it any time soon, not untill the european dealers have sold all those used T3s and T4s they have in stock

#394640 - 10/11/14 02:47 PM Re: Tyros 4 vs. Tyros 5 [Re: guitpic1]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Are you not tired of upgrading to "new" models when they should be "updating" instead..

They are the same old-same old..and should be giving "free" updates, especially since they highly overcharge for what you are getting....Doesn't it make you angry? cry

#394641 - 10/11/14 03:05 PM Re: Tyros 4 vs. Tyros 5 [Re: guitpic1]
ianmcnll Offline

What I find a bit amusing is someone continually buying the next new model, or even another brand, with the idea that it's going to really make them sound much better.

Then they spend weeks trying to make it sound like the old one, and next time you hear them play, or hear a recording, unless they actually told you they had a brand new model...you'd never know.

Yes, I know some upgrade to avoid hardware problems as the instrument gets older, but, in my experience, the upgrade to a new model mainly carries with it the expectations I mentioned in my opening statement.

I've seen performers go from a PSR-3000 or 2000, to an S950 or even a Tyros, yet they play the same basic styles and sounds, and, the SMF's they use still sound almost exactly the same...only a person who really knows arrangers might be able to notice a difference, and sometimes, the difference isn't even an improvement.

Ian

#394644 - 10/11/14 06:48 PM Re: Tyros 4 vs. Tyros 5 [Re: guitpic1]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Well, here is my experience. I owned both the Tyros 3, the Tyros 4, and the Tyros 5. I kept the Tyros 5 for about 2 weeks before returning it. I got lucky because the Tyros 5 I owned had a defective USB port and Yamaha took it back. I was very glad because after two weeks I did not find enough decent or useful upgrades from my Tyros 4 to warrant the extra amount of money for the Tyros 5.

Today I am very pleased with the Tyros 4 I now own and do not expect to upgrade very soon unless Yamaha comes up with a Killer of a keyboard in the future.

Deane

#394647 - 10/12/14 01:20 AM Re: Tyros 4 vs. Tyros 5 [Re: Fran Carango]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
Are you not tired of upgrading to "new" models when they should be "updating" instead..

They are the same old-same old..and should be giving "free" updates, especially since they highly overcharge for what you are getting....Doesn't it make you angry? cry

Its mainly because of the backward compatibillty that most people dont see or hear the uogrades most of teh time. Actually, for T5, the hardware got a considerable update, there is much more processor power and onboard memmory...

And then there is the conservative changes to the UI, there is a reasson yamaha does not do major uogrades to the UI, if they chaged it to much (windows 8 isa good example here) and thats why they are very conservative with chages here, the current users that so happily upgrade every 3 years might not take well to it..

Personally i think this is the biggest upgrade step for Tyros since the PSR9000... There is a performance upgrade and there was innovation.. But i might also agree that many people who are happy with their T4s dont need it just yet...

And its not only Yamaha working this way..... Pa1x, pa2x and pa3x are on the same track... Roland and Ketron however work their own paths...

Thats also the reason the CVP range is surpassing the Tyros range, the typical customer is much younger, and much more accustomed to keeping up with the speed of the fast changing technollogy..

Edited by Bachus (10/12/14 01:23 AM)

#394662 - 10/12/14 02:42 PM Re: Tyros 4 vs. Tyros 5 [Re: guitpic1]
DannyUK Offline

Hi Rog,

I am a T4 owner & it's a truly beautiful keyboard in every aspect that I use it for. In other words - the T4 is more than enough for my own needs and then some.

I can't even comprehend the thought of going to the T5 when everything I need is already on the T4.

Previous to the T4 I owned a T3 and I was in a dilemma whether to exchange it for a T4. I waited a long time before realising that although I was very happy with the T3, the T4 had enough features and new sounds / styles that id use regularly. The choirs / vocals made quite a significant difference.

The T5 is an excellent sounding keyboard but hasn't made the same impact on me that the T4 did over the T3 so I will be sticking with the T4.

I'd even go as far as saying that I like the T4 that much that it's a keeper for good and I'd rather just add to it than exchange / upgrade it for little money.

I'm curious to see what Yamaha do come up with in the next Tyros series as apart from increasing the amount of audio styles I can't see how else they can improve on the Tyros 4 / 5.

All the best.

Edited by DannyUK (10/12/14 02:45 PM)

#394680 - 10/13/14 07:42 AM Re: Tyros 4 vs. Tyros 5 [Re: guitpic1]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
It needs a fully spec' onboard sequencer and fully editable sounds within the instrument and I would buy the 76 key tyros tommorrow .

#394686 - 10/13/14 08:38 AM Re: Tyros 4 vs. Tyros 5 [Re: spalding1968]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: spalding1968
It needs a fully spec' onboard sequencer and fully editable sounds within the instrument

For whom? The one or two old codgers who might ATTEMPT to use it....once? Geeks will migrate towards a workstation every time (just as REAL musicians will migrate to REAL instruments every time........just threw that in to 'stir the pot' smile ).

smile smile

chas (take a deep breath, it's all in fun)

#394688 - 10/13/14 08:54 AM Re: Tyros 4 vs. Tyros 5 [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Gotta agree with my Georgia counterpart on that one.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#394689 - 10/13/14 08:57 AM Re: Tyros 4 vs. Tyros 5 [Re: guitpic1]
ianmcnll Offline

Looks like it's gonna be soup for dinner.

Ian

#394695 - 10/13/14 09:17 AM Re: Tyros 4 vs. Tyros 5 [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

1, 2, Cha Cha Cha.....

#394699 - 10/13/14 09:37 AM Re: Tyros 4 vs. Tyros 5 [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

1, 2, Cha Cha Cha.....

Geez, Donny. Are you the only one on the forum that didn't realize I was joking? The light from that Smartphone that Fran claims is always in your ear must shine right through to the other side. ....but I love your singing voice.

smile

chas

#394701 - 10/13/14 09:47 AM Re: Tyros 4 vs. Tyros 5 [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles
1, 2, Cha Cha Cha.....

Geez, Donny. Are you the only one on the forum that didn't realize I was joking? The light from that Smartphone that Fran claims is always in your ear must shine right through to the other side. ....but I love your singing voice.

:)chas

Who cares about anything!!!!!
EAGLES KILLED the G-Girls big time .....can you eight+ sacks in 60 minutes ?

#394702 - 10/13/14 09:50 AM Re: Tyros 4 vs. Tyros 5 [Re: cgiles]
ianmcnll Offline

1, 2, Cha Cha Cha.....

smile

chas

That's why his voice sounds so good...natural reverb...

Ian

#394705 - 10/13/14 10:17 AM Re: Tyros 4 vs. Tyros 5 [Re: ianmcnll]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

That's why his voice sounds so good...natural reverb...

Ian

smile smile smile smile smile smile

Good one.....no, GREAT one.

chas

#394706 - 10/13/14 11:02 AM Re: Tyros 4 vs. Tyros 5 [Re: cgiles]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
[quote=spalding1968]It needs a fully spec' onboard sequencer and fully editable sounds within the instrument

For whom? The one or two old codgers who might ATTEMPT to use it....once? Geeks will migrate towards a workstation every time (just as REAL musicians will migrate to REAL instruments every time........just threw that in to 'stir the pot' smile ).

smile smile

Wow Chas !! I don't know if I have been insulted or complimented crazy either I'm an old codger or i am technically savvy enough to be a geek ! Damn I just figured out he could have meant both computer what's is worse is that I just caught myself smiling in the mirror whilst programming my pa1x . Damn it ! He's right on both counts !!!

Edited by spalding1968 (10/13/14 11:06 AM)

#394790 - 10/15/14 01:28 AM Re: Tyros 4 vs. Tyros 5 [Re: guitpic1]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Tx all. Everytime I play the T4, I wonder why I would want to upgrade?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online