SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#394497 - 10/09/14 08:58 AM Re: How Much of YOUR Arranger KB DON'T You Use? [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Awareness..is the question...Most folks are not even aware what their keyboard can and cannot do...

Here is an example...Folks that are close minded to using SMF's...not much different from styles (sequences)..How many even know what markers are, let alone that their keyboard has them...allowing a very similar play to their beloved style play...but frees up both hands to play way more than with styles..(with the exception of piano mode)..

I disagree, at one third the price of the G70, the BK5 is a heck of a keyboard...There is no way you could get a handle of the BK5 after less than a week grin

Heck, I am a smart guy and I even learned things after a couple months wink

#394498 - 10/09/14 09:05 AM Re: How Much of YOUR Arranger KB DON'T You Use? [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
Awareness..is the question...Most folks are not even aware what their keyboard can and cannot do...

Here is an example...Folks that are close minded to using SMF's...not much different from styles (sequences)..How many even know what markers are, let alone that their keyboard has them...allowing a very similar play to their beloved style play...but frees up both hands to play way more than with styles..(with the exception of piano mode)..

I disagree, at one third the price of the G70, the BK5 is a heck of a keyboard...There is no way you could get a handle of the BK5 after less than a week grin

Heck, I am a smart guy and I even learned things after a couple months wink

Good points Fran....none the less pros like us know within a week or less if a KB will fill your needs....I always get anxious & want to love them....but that usually fades quickly...

don't have time to dilly dally and move on no big deal it's only another piece of gear.

Edited by Dnj (10/09/14 09:05 AM)

#394499 - 10/09/14 09:44 AM Re: How Much of YOUR Arranger KB DON'T You Use? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I'd say I use pretty much everything on the arranger, and even though I don't sing a great deal, I use the vocal harmonizer/processor for vocoding my little Yamaha CS-01 analog synthesizer, and, of course, processing other instruments as well. It's there if I have guest vocalist or someone who wants to record a song and I spent time learning how it works and how to use its many features like compression, delays, harmonies to name only a few.

As Fran said above, many folks aren't even aware of the capabilities of their mid to top line arranger.

Lately I've been having fun with my own home-made FreePlay styles and enjoying not having to play to a fixed tempo...especially good for orchestral/symphonic type music or just plain improvising on a simple theme.

Having an arranger is like having a studio packed with a huge variety of instruments and players, the latter being prepared to play at a moment's notice no matter what the hour.

Ian

#394500 - 10/09/14 10:40 AM Re: How Much of YOUR Arranger KB DON'T You Use? [Re: Dnj]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
I find the direct internet connection on my Tyros3 of very little value to me.

Jerryghr

#394501 - 10/09/14 11:47 AM Re: How Much of YOUR Arranger KB DON'T You Use? [Re: Dnj]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I don't use the vocal harmoniser at all. I rarely use the sampler although it has been useful at times earlier on in my musical development. I use the sound editing features quite extensively to tweak existing sounds but rarely create anything from scratch. I don't use any Of the easy chord recognition functions, I play almost exclusively piano start using the entire keyboard. I rarely use the one touch settings.

There is probably still a good 30 to 40% of the potential of my instrument that I have not used or tried to apply in a musical setting

#394502 - 10/09/14 12:05 PM Re: How Much of YOUR Arranger KB DON'T You Use? [Re: Jerryghr]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
I'm a techie sort of guy....or at least think I'm a techie sort of guy. smile

From what I can tell....I've probably tapped into about 50% of what my S950 and Tyros 4 can do...and that's with a lot of time on the OS of each.

My guess is also that I've tapped into less than 50% of what my outboard computing systems and recording systems can do.

Rog

Edited by guitpic1 (10/09/14 12:06 PM)

#394503 - 10/09/14 12:26 PM Re: How Much of YOUR Arranger KB DON'T You Use? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Just because all these features are inside doesn't mean you have to use them all to enjoy your Arranger KB...
we all play differently, have all kinds of playing technics, needs & wants, not all features interest everyone but at least they are there if you choose to use them to an extent....even with all the drawbacks and things you might wish to have on-board someday Arranger KB's are still very amazing instruments for those who choose to play them..
There is no right or wrong, however you use it is good enough. And remember down the road soon enough another model will come out tempting your Ego, Psych, Abilities & Pocketbook again & again.

have fun !!

#394515 - 10/09/14 03:16 PM Re: How Much of YOUR Arranger KB DON'T You Use? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I have utilized just about every feature on the S-950 and all previous keyboards, and still use most of them during every performance. I've modified styles, used all of the onboard programs, most of the voices, even some that I didn't like at all, mainly to hear how they sounded in a song.

I agree with everything Fran said - and most people are just too damned lazy to delve into the bowels of their keyboard to discover all that advantages that the manufacturers have provided for our use and improve our arrangements.

In fact, I know of several forum members that have never taken their user manuals out of the plastic bags they came in. smile

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#394517 - 10/09/14 03:59 PM Re: How Much of YOUR Arranger KB DON'T You Use? [Re: Dnj]
DannyUK Offline

Good thread topic.

I'd say I use about 55% of the sounds / styles / features of the three keyboard I own but I know that the other 45% is there should I want to explore things further, this keeps things refreshing.

For example, whenever I purchase a new keyboard I only analyse the sections that I would most be interested in, not the whole unit, and if I like what I hear then purchase it regardless of whatever else is there.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online