SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#394475 - 10/09/14 03:30 AM PSR S950 vs used T3
Bachus Offline

Both are available at the same price, the T3 is available in mint condition but over 5 years old.

Asuming your current keyboard breaks down, and these are the only 2 models available

Which would you buy?
Which is more value for the money?
And espescially WHY?

No i am not interested in buying either one of these, but i am involved in a discussion over at a German forum, and want to backup my statement with more facts...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#394476 - 10/09/14 04:00 AM Re: PSR S950 vs used T3 [Re: Bachus]
DannyUK Offline

Hi Bachus,

That's a good question you ask as there are many things that can be compared between the two but I think the first question could be what would the person be using the instrument for can help with the choice.

I've owned a T3, and I still have the s950. Both are excellent in their own way.

The most obvious difference will be the build quality and the T3 being a top line model will have the better build and key feel. That said, the s950 benefits from having a light quick key feel plus built in amplification which is quite powerful.

Styles and sounds are very similar in both with the exception of the 25 audio styles in the s950 which I think are pretty useful but not necessarily essential. The s950 has some styles from the T4 as well that's not found in the T3 but these can be played in the T3 for the most part. T3 has 500 styles and s950 has 450? Not sure on that though but it's something like that.

T3 has a number of SA2 voices which the s950 I don't think has any SA2, but the s950 has guitar voices from the T4 not found in the T3.

MP3 playback is easier on the s950 whereas on the T3 it's a convoluted and slow process as you'd have to convert to the correct .wav format to play them.

There's no hard drive in the s950, T3 has an 80gb HD.

There are many more comparisons but at a push for me I would choose the T3 as although it's older than the s950 it's still a top line model and has the edge over its build, key feel, Sa2 sounds, display and so on.

Hope that helps a little.

All the best,
Danny

#394477 - 10/09/14 04:34 AM Re: PSR S950 vs used T3 [Re: Bachus]
Jez Offline

Loc: India
And the T3 does have a 3rd voice for the right hand. S950 only has 2 RH voices. T3 has a basic sampler which is not available in S950. S950 has audio multipads capability which is not available in T3

Auron Music

#394479 - 10/09/14 05:40 AM Re: PSR S950 vs used T3 [Re: Jez]
Bachus Offline

But since the S950 is build uppon the engine from the T4, it must have more advantages soundwise right?

Also found out that the S950 can not load new samples/sounds but the T3 can...

Since prices are equall, it looks that the T3 has most plusses.... but with the S950 you get a brand new unit, which if you mean to use it 10+ years might be an advantage...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#394480 - 10/09/14 06:06 AM Re: PSR S950 vs used T3 [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

The only thing that interests me is the Tilt screen on the T3.....otherwise the S950 is my choice.

#394482 - 10/09/14 06:23 AM Re: PSR S950 vs used T3 [Re: Bachus]
DannyUK Offline

Originally Posted By: Bachus
But since the S950 is build uppon the engine from the T4, it must have more advantages soundwise right?

I'm not sure since the S950 doesn't have any of the vocal / choir / synth / pad & Sa2 sounds exclusive to the T4 it was difficult to tell what engine it's using, it does seem to have the warm sound of the T4 although I no longer have the T3 to compare it with.

The majority of the sounds within the s950 are in the T3 with exception of a few guitars and some kits so it's a closer comparison to that than the T4 I thought.

Edited by DannyUK (10/09/14 06:26 AM)

#394504 - 10/09/14 12:26 PM Re: PSR S950 vs used T3 [Re: DannyUK]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Currently we are playing a T4. We have an S950.

I keep telling myself we should break out the S950...

But the Tyros has sliders, much more control, sounds as good...depending on what outboard systems we use....

It's hard to take that step down to the S950 from the Tyros...especially in live gigs.

Wish the Tyros 5 was as well developed as the Tyros 4...might get us to move up.

smile

#394516 - 10/09/14 03:45 PM Re: PSR S950 vs used T3 [Re: Bachus]
DannyUK Offline

Hmm I think if the thread was about a T4 vs S950 there would be no competition for me, the T4 wins in almost all areas and no hesitation with that.

T3 though is a much closer call.

#394524 - 10/09/14 04:54 PM Re: PSR S950 vs used T3 [Re: Bachus]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
the keybed alone on the Tryos 3 and the fact that the keys are larger and longer makes it a no brainer for me.

The keyfeel of the Tyros makes the overall playing experience much more enjoyable and authentic over the PSR. Its also much more expressive as you have more depth in the keys when u press them, where as on the S950 they are short, spongy and shallow...

The Tyros also has the Master compressor which is not in the S950 - if that makes any difference to you as well? not a big deal for most folks though..

I have owned so many PSR's over the years (PSR 1000, 3000, S910, S950) and they always leave me begging for more and feeling somewhat "empty".

Good Luck
Nick

#394525 - 10/09/14 05:25 PM Re: PSR S950 vs used T3 [Re: Nick G]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Nick, I am with you when it comes to key feel...it means everything...
The very first thing I check on a new keyboard is keyfeel and how solid they feel..I check under the keys and I am delighted when I find weights.. smile

In the past, if a keyboard has something I like , but has a less than pleasant keybed, I will give it a shot...but in the end I can never be happy with it....The BK5 fell into this category, and I used it for a bit more than a year...The key feel wasn't nearly as bad as the PSR line, but stil had to go..I won't even consider a PSR model, even if free (but had to play it). grin
I don't understand how any player thinks it is playable shocked

There have been models that I could not warm up to..and sold them..Roland EXR5, Casio3000,PSR2100,PA800, Tyros3, JunoG, and KN2000 (many swear by it).oh and not to forget the Korg Micro arranger grin
Most fell short because of key feel..

#394529 - 10/09/14 06:29 PM Re: PSR S950 vs used T3 [Re: Bachus]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Ditto Fran.

IMO The keybed on the PSR is so far behind the game.

I have been into music stores and tried out a $250.00 casio and it has a deeper more authentic feeling keybed than a PSR S950 which sells for $2,000.00

Fran - I noticed that u had the Tyros 3 in your list of keyboards that didn't satisfy you in terms of the keybed. I must say if that's the case then you are a very hard man to please smile

The Tyros line of keybeds is definitely in the top quality compared to alot of other keyboards on the market. And whether there are keyboards that have a "better" feel than the Tyros - the Tyros is STILL very much good enough for me and for many others.

I also own a Yamaha Motif XS which has the Tyros keybed. I previously owned a Fantom G6 which has the same keybed feel but its alot more "noisier" when you hit the keys. I also have a Ketron Audya 5 (which I just sold) which also seems to feel exactly the same as the Tyros.

Some keyboards over the years have come and gone which had great and "different" keybeds.. aka the G70.

The Pa3x is also in my list of top keybeds.. I actually prefer it over the Tyros. The keys on the PA3X feel more "woody" and less plastic and shiny, and the black keys are also longer...

sorry to throw this thread slightly off track...

#394530 - 10/09/14 07:18 PM Re: PSR S950 vs used T3 [Re: Bachus]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Regarding keyfeel and quality...I got along fine with PSR's, but I'm used to adjusting to all kinds of keybeds, from the early non-touch synths to what we have today in the TOTL arrangers.

Regarding the choice presented in the topic...

The Tyros3 uses the FSX keybed, which is also on Tyros2 and T4/T5, and besides this keyboard having a more robust feel and deeper/longer throw, it also has aftertouch, which, once you are used to it, can really add expression to your playing, especially lead lines.

The S950 keyboard lacks the above features, and although once one becomes accustomed to it and, it's quite livable, if you are fussy and want superb no compromise keyfeel, then the Tyros3 is the way to go.

The T3 also has SA2 voices, much better feeling (and more robust) pitch and modulation wheels, a better screen that tilts, three assignable pedal inputs (S950 has two), a handy set of sliders, one more USB to Device port, easier to read buttons, and will give you three right hand sounds (as opposed to S950's two).

If the Tyros3 is in mint condition, and shows no obvious wear, I'd pick it over a new S950 if I was presented with the choice.

This also may hinge on whether or not you have a decent sound system to use with the Tyros3, as unlike the S950, it does not have speakers (this can be seen as advantageous to some as they can choose their own system).

Ian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online