SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#394529 - 10/09/14 06:29 PM Re: PSR S950 vs used T3 [Re: Bachus]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Ditto Fran.

IMO The keybed on the PSR is so far behind the game.

I have been into music stores and tried out a $250.00 casio and it has a deeper more authentic feeling keybed than a PSR S950 which sells for $2,000.00

Fran - I noticed that u had the Tyros 3 in your list of keyboards that didn't satisfy you in terms of the keybed. I must say if that's the case then you are a very hard man to please smile

The Tyros line of keybeds is definitely in the top quality compared to alot of other keyboards on the market. And whether there are keyboards that have a "better" feel than the Tyros - the Tyros is STILL very much good enough for me and for many others.

I also own a Yamaha Motif XS which has the Tyros keybed. I previously owned a Fantom G6 which has the same keybed feel but its alot more "noisier" when you hit the keys. I also have a Ketron Audya 5 (which I just sold) which also seems to feel exactly the same as the Tyros.

Some keyboards over the years have come and gone which had great and "different" keybeds.. aka the G70.

The Pa3x is also in my list of top keybeds.. I actually prefer it over the Tyros. The keys on the PA3X feel more "woody" and less plastic and shiny, and the black keys are also longer...

sorry to throw this thread slightly off track...

#394530 - 10/09/14 07:18 PM Re: PSR S950 vs used T3 [Re: Bachus]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Regarding keyfeel and quality...I got along fine with PSR's, but I'm used to adjusting to all kinds of keybeds, from the early non-touch synths to what we have today in the TOTL arrangers.

Regarding the choice presented in the topic...

The Tyros3 uses the FSX keybed, which is also on Tyros2 and T4/T5, and besides this keyboard having a more robust feel and deeper/longer throw, it also has aftertouch, which, once you are used to it, can really add expression to your playing, especially lead lines.

The S950 keyboard lacks the above features, and although once one becomes accustomed to it and, it's quite livable, if you are fussy and want superb no compromise keyfeel, then the Tyros3 is the way to go.

The T3 also has SA2 voices, much better feeling (and more robust) pitch and modulation wheels, a better screen that tilts, three assignable pedal inputs (S950 has two), a handy set of sliders, one more USB to Device port, easier to read buttons, and will give you three right hand sounds (as opposed to S950's two).

If the Tyros3 is in mint condition, and shows no obvious wear, I'd pick it over a new S950 if I was presented with the choice.

This also may hinge on whether or not you have a decent sound system to use with the Tyros3, as unlike the S950, it does not have speakers (this can be seen as advantageous to some as they can choose their own system).

Ian

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online