SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#394131 - 10/02/14 07:21 PM Re: PC Gerus Please HELP problem.............. [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Gee, thanks fellas. Yeah, it really is tough being poor and I really appreciate your sympathies. Hopefully I can scrape together enough for a can of beans or something. But don't worry about me; I'll be ok.....the Lord always provides.

The beggar formerly known as chas.

#394133 - 10/02/14 07:40 PM Re: PC Gerus Please HELP problem.............. [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Sailing is not inexpensive, but less expensive than living ashore. Living ashore is very expensive, and if anyone thinks not, take a serious look at all your household expenses. Between increasing taxes, cost of repairs and home maintenance, insurance(s), utilities, etc..., the figure is staggering at the very least.

In contrast, living aboard a mid-size sailboat, one that has solar and wind power, only requires minor repairs, and the ability to live in a much smaller space than most folks are accustomed to. Once you get used to this, living aboard is a great life. And, you have the option of moving the boat to warmer climates in the winter, cooler climates in summer, no property or real estate taxes, no utility bills other than some propane for cooking and gasoline or diesel fuel to move the boat when the wind fails to cooperate.

As for groceries, well, if you're competent with a fishing rod and cast net, the seafood is pretty much free. Yes, you will have to shop for fruits and veggies, but by and large, they're not really that expensive. There were a few folks in the Florida Keys that baked their own bread with solar ovens, and I can tell you first hand, that was some of the best bread I've tasted, ever. They also baked cakes, cookies, and cooked on that solar oven, which I thought was really neat. The oven got to 350 degrees in about 20 minutes using nothing more than sunlight for power.

Some of the boats had their own water makers, devices that would make modest volumes of drinking water from sea water. The water was stored in 50 to 75-gallon tanks. Others collected rainwater, then ran the water through filters so it was fit for drinking and cooking.

The refrigerator/freezer on my boat runs on a 100-watt solar panel during the day, and the boat's house batteries at night. I carry 75 gallons of freshwater, and 35-gallons of gas for the auxiliary engine, which gets about 9 miles per gallon. It also keeps the batteries fully charged and heats the hot water for showers and doing dishes.

I have a 21-inch flat screen TV on the boat, which has a digital antenna mounted on a stern post. Most of the time, I have no trouble getting up to 5 TV stations, thus allowing me to watch Sunday football games while at sea. I also have a USB antenna for the PC, which allows me to connect to the Internet using unsecured stations up to 7 miles away. It's pretty rare not to find a station somewhere in my range while cruising the east coast of the USA.

I have a kettle type gas grill that mounts on the stern rail of the boat. I can grill those steaks, chops, burgers, etc..., using my propane connection, or just a small propane tank. Lots of fish that I have caught have been prepared on that grill during the past couple years. Sure tasted might good.

While it can be expensive to live aboard if you are in a marina, you always have the option of anchoring out, living on the hook. I've done that many, many times, finding a small, protected creek or cove to spend the night while traveling south for winter. More often than not I had the entire location to myself, but there were times when I met others doing the same thing I was doing, getting away from the northern winter. I met some incredible individuals, and have kept in touch with many of them since that trip two years ago.

One of the greatest things about living aboard a sailboat is traveling from one neat location to another, and meeting so many really nice people.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#394136 - 10/02/14 08:19 PM Re: PC Gerus Please HELP problem.............. [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Gary, lest you are taking me seriously, I assure you, I'm just fine. Without going into detail, I would describe myself as upper middle class. I sold my plane when we moved to Hawaii and have not replaced it, mainly because of age, health, and the hassle of staying current. These days I do my traveling in a luxury 40' Class A diesel pusher motorhome with 3 TV's, 1 1/2 baths, and a king sized sleep-number bed. Gets @ 8mpg (downhill). We recently sold our house in Hawaii (Big Island) for 7 figures so that should keep us in pineapples for awhile. We are listing our current home next week for @900k (if anyone is interested in moving to suburban ATL) to hopefully downsize and be closer to town. I mention this because I was joking before and it started to sound like you were taking me seriously (something you should never do smile ).

chas

#394145 - 10/03/14 07:02 AM Re: PC Gerus Please HELP problem.............. [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Chas, I could use a yard-man. You can park your motor home in back.
After you do the edging we can jam.

#394146 - 10/03/14 07:04 AM Re: PC Gerus Please HELP problem.............. [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Chas, actually, I did take you serious, at least until late last night, when I recalled that you sold the home in HI and plane. You would not be the first musician that I've known that after a half century of working was flat broke. I know several that have nothing in the bank, no home, no health insurance, no retirement plan, live in a rundown apartment, and still working at age 75 and cannot stop working because they would have to survive on social security. There are a lot of people in this part of the world like that. Fortunately, you're not among them. I'm sure that 40-foot motor-home has a lot more amenities than my sailboat. The only reason I didn't buy one is because I love sailing to places a motor home cannot reach. Next year, if my health isn't shot to Hell, I'm hoping to sail to the Dry Torguas and maybe the BVI. The only reason I didn't call to meet up with you in Georgia on my last voyage to the sunny south is I bypassed Georgia entirely, sailing 45 to 50 miles offshore of the Georgia coast. Georgia's segment of the Intra-Coastal Waterway is nothing more than a winding ditch through the swamps where most sail boats usually run aground. That segment of the waterway has never been maintained.

Cheers,

Gary cool

#394149 - 10/03/14 07:15 AM Re: PC Gerus Please HELP problem.............. [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Most Motor Homes and Boats I see around here are in someones driveway or out of the water in a Marina with a
BIG FOR SALE Sign on them surprised ....
I guess for many the thrill is gone or the money ran out...eh?

#394153 - 10/03/14 07:47 AM Re: PC Gerus Please HELP problem.............. [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Donny, you live in a part of the world where there are lots of older, retired folks, many of which that have physical impairments and can no longer enjoy those toys. Unfortunately, many mid-size boats end up becoming derelicts when the owners pass away. They end up sitting in driveways with for sale signs the owners heirs posted on them. South Florida is loaded with both boats and motor homes in the same category. I saw huge parking areas filled with motor homes and camping trailers of all sizes, all of which were previously owned by retirees who no longer can enjoy them.

The marinas down here in Chesapeake Bay are loaded to capacity with sail and powerboats. Some actually have a waiting list for a slip. About 2/3 of those boats never seem to leave the dock - they're nothing more than a pseudo beach-front home for someone that doesn't want the expense and upkeep of an actual beach front home. Then, there are live-aboard boats, vessels that families live upon during the warmer months, and take south when fall arrives here. There will be a long string of sailboats and trawlers headed south through Chesapeake Bay this month, all headed for the Florida Keys and beyond where they'll enjoy the tropics while we're freezing our butts off. Next year, I hope to be joining that convoy south once again. smile

Cheers,

Gary cool

#394155 - 10/03/14 07:59 AM Re: PC Gerus Please HELP problem.............. [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Gary go for it buddy life is too short to dilly dally!!

Personally I prefer the cooler climate and 4 seasons here....
I was never into boating or motor homing......
I have however traveled the world extensively thru the years to many countries, Islands etc, for pleasure and gigging on tour since I was kid,...My Mom a world traveler herself may she RIP made sure of that..and I'm glad I saw & experienced many travel destinations. I actually now enjoy taking a few days off and driving wherever to visit people or see things per-say on "Mini Vacations" when I'm in the mood. In summer let's face it I already live on the NJ Shore 5 min from the beach & Ocean which in itself is a vacation destination also...just sayin' cool2

Enjoy your life everyday you only get one! wink

#394156 - 10/03/14 08:03 AM Re: PC Gerus Please HELP problem.............. [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Gary, you may not believe this but you actually played a big part in some of my recent lifestyle decisions. Although I have owned about 5 motorhomes in the past (we were always a camping family as my kids were growing up - my wife was heavily involved in international scouting), I sold my motorhome (and my plane) when we moved to Hawaii and didn't get back into RV'ing until fairly recently. One of the PRIME MOTIVATIONS was your recent sailing adventure. That was very inspirational to me and pushed me to get off my butt and try to do something similar. Since I can walk better than I can swim, I decided to go by land rather than by sea smile. There are advantages to both; the important thing is to get out there and do Something (otherwise you might as well pull the plug now and let the grandkids get a headstart on squandering everything you've taken a lifetime to accumulate). Luckily, I had a career (combined with being married to a professional woman AND being able to take advantage of the housing seesaw of the last six years) that has allowed me to pursue this late-life adventure. I haven't yet undertaken a trip that compares to yours (in terms of adventure) and so far have not gone further than Key West with many stops, including the Everglades, along the way. We are planning a 6000mi. trip cross country, up the coast to Alaska, and back home via the 'northern' route. Lots of details to take care of before that, though, including a (RV) driver training course for my wife. BTW, if I get killed on this trip, it will be YOUR fault (for starting me down this road smile ).

Otherwise, thanks for your concern. BTW, I'm pretty sure DonM knew I was kidding in the beginning.

chas

#394158 - 10/03/14 08:14 AM Re: PC Gerus Please HELP problem.............. [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Yes, I don't know many poor retired pilots!

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online