SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#394079 - 10/02/14 12:33 PM Re: Watch how much fun an arranger can be [Re: spalding1968]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Are they OMB's like we are ?

#394080 - 10/02/14 12:35 PM Re: Watch how much fun an arranger can be [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bernie9
Are they OMB's like we are ?

of course not Bernie ....it's just that we all have to play nice together in this industry keys ......there's room for all of us anyway we do it with whatever we use... cool2

#394082 - 10/02/14 01:23 PM Re: Watch how much fun an arranger can be [Re: spalding1968]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
So lets talk about your examples for a second Bill.

The first is an organ with what most normall people would agree is an arranger inside it right or wrong ? So your first example of something that plays as fluidly and is as instantaneous in creating full music expression already has an arranger inside ????

Can you not see the slight flaw in that example ????

The second one is not even an instrument ! Let me walk you through a scenario

A man walks into the shop "I want to buy a musical instrument." Assistant says "Certainly so what sort of instrument did you want to buy?" The man responds I want to buy a midi keyboard laptop Alberton live instrument please . In fact I'll have two one for me and one for my friend Bill" shop assistant says "who makes it I have not heard of that instrument? Customer says don't talk such nonsense everybody's heard of that instrument surely? Shop assistant replies "I'm really sorry sir we don't sell that instrument I could sell you a midi keyboard and I could direct you to my friend techi Thomas who owns a computer store up the road and and I could sell you some software but we don't have one instrument of that kind.

Customer walks away shaking his head " I should've just bought one of them bloody arranger thingies from the Yamaha shop! Bill will be gutted "

I'm just Playing with you bill . No disrespect intended . Enjoy making music . Take care . Worth

Edited by spalding1968 (10/02/14 01:27 PM)

#394083 - 10/02/14 01:32 PM Re: Watch how much fun an arranger can be [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
Bill, Donny, I am going to disagree with you guys..I think a top of the line arranger keyboard, could very well be the best instrument...period..

Not because you can push a button and it can make music that most folks could not possibly play..but the flexability of the instrument to conform to what ever you need to do...or your skill level...

I would use my G70 as an example...
It can be the stage piano (of course there are limitations..semi weighted is not piano feel, but more than playable)..
It can be a drawbar organ, as good as most..
It can be the sequencing workstation..
It can be the perfect scratch pad for new songs..
It can be the fastest performing tool...in fact it is..

There is no alternative that out performs the arranger keyboard..

And it can conform to a USB controller to use with our daws, and VST programs...Really..what is missing...and why would I choose any other instrument (being a keyboard player)..?

Fran that's all well and good & personally I love my arranger been playing them for a living since the first one hit the market years ago with my KORG SAS20.............but please explain to me why everyone else out there as we AR Kb players are surly a minority just don't get it about arrangers?.....everyone isn't stupid?
the percentage of pro musicians DON"Y use Arranger kb's that is a fact just look around you....nothing wrong with that but there are other ways to make music and the people have spoken on keyboards just by their numbers in using KBs other then an Arranger to make great music, it's done every day in studio & live on stage,....they all can't be wrong?...or can they?.... confused1

Donny, no they are not stupid...but they sure are ignorant smile
Ignorant of the fact...they don't have a clue how a top arranger keyboard can do everything they need..They just don't understand the instrument...and are closed minded to even learn..

Perfect example..Go into any bigtime music store, ask a sales person about any top arranger..after you explain what it is to them...you can assume these "pro" players with sales jobs, are not much different than other "pro" players..

They are ignorant!!!! grin

The very first time I used arranger keyboards..I seen the benefits from a players view..No I was not interested in "auto" play, but the possibilities of using it as a player..

With left hand bass, drum machine built in and quick set up for any tune..Fast forward to today..and I still look for these same benefits.The vast majority of "pro" players, have never tried or experienced what I am talking about...All they know is any 10 year old kid can play a Casio and sound better than they do grin..thus they block it out and miss the boat how much more efficient they could be..

Stupid NO..Ignorant .you bet wink

Edited by Fran Carango (10/02/14 01:34 PM)

#394088 - 10/02/14 02:19 PM Re: Watch how much fun an arranger can be [Re: spalding1968]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I think there is the OMB/Businessman point of view and the MUSICIAN'S point of view. Each has different requirements and different expectations from their instrument. You won't find any classically trained, (true) professional level, musician using or even owning an arranger keyboard. Likewise, you won't find more than 1% of arranger-playing OMB's that could play a solo piano or organ gig. Anyway you look it, an arranger keyboard, despite it's many virtues, is a CRUTCH used by the same people who prefer a 'magic' diet pill to proper diet and exercise.

A lot of what Donny said (I can't believe I'm saying this smile ) is true; most TRUE professionals wouldn't be caught dead on a gig with an arranger keyboard. It may make you feel good to say that they're all "ignorant" and YOU are smarter than 99% of the musician population, but you're only blowing smoke up your own butt.

Arranger keyboards are aimed primarily at 'home players'. Pro musicians know this, the manufacturers know this, most of the non-arranger-owning world knows this. But, to quote the 'good book', "there is none so blind as he that WILL not see".

Me personally, I think arrangers are great as a vehicle to push the technology, and an absolute boom to OMB's with passable vocals but couldn't play their way out of a paper bag. Few of those would be able to keep all those hip-replacements on the dance floor without them (arrangers).

So here's to Arrangers and their fanatical followers. Heck, I may take one out on a gig myself, but not till I perfect my lip-sync and Air Guitar skills.

chas

PS: Hey Worth, you, of all people, should know that that great Gospel Organ and Gospel piano can ONLY be done on the REAL thing, baby. So put that arranger down and go practice smile smile. BTW, if you ever make it to the 'states', look me up; I'd love to meet you.

#394090 - 10/02/14 02:28 PM Re: Watch how much fun an arranger can be [Re: spalding1968]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I can't disagree with you about the organ Chas . It's a discipline all of its own . Some day I might make it over there but in the mean time the Internet is the best we can do .

#394092 - 10/02/14 02:50 PM Re: Watch how much fun an arranger can be [Re: spalding1968]
Fran Carango Offline

Chas, your view proves my point....If you read my comments again..I never mentioned the "auto" play as a preferred benefit...but it is that mentallity that prevents folks...to find that the "arranger" keyboard can be a great asset..even for the won't be caught dead crowd..

BTW: I have an accomplished classical playing friend..that actually knows chords too...and uses an arranger for some gigs..
He is a doctorate of music..

Another friend, that can out play anyone I know...he too has a PA1x...

To just say a blanket statement that no one would gig with an arranger if they were real pros...just don't fly..

To say players that are ignorant of the facts an arranger can make music to satisfy themm...well it is true..

#394094 - 10/02/14 03:11 PM Re: Watch how much fun an arranger can be [Re: spalding1968]
cgiles Offline

Fran, if you aren't talking 'auto-play', then you aren't talking arrangers.

Secondly, what you (and many others on this board) consider 'Pro' and what I consider 'Pro' are vastly different things. If you are able to pick up an occasional check or even make a living with the level of skill exhibited by the self-proclaimed 'pros' here, then I say, more power to you. Hey, a whole generation of people were deluded into thinking Bob Dylan could sing, so Anything is possible smile.

chas

#394109 - 10/02/14 04:13 PM Re: Watch how much fun an arranger can be [Re: cgiles]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles
Fran, if you aren't talking 'auto-play', then you aren't talking arrangers.

Secondly, what you (and many others on this board) consider 'Pro' and what I consider 'Pro' are vastly different things. If you are able to pick up an occasional check or even make a living with the level of skill exhibited by the self-proclaimed 'pros' here, then I say, more power to you. Hey, a whole generation of people were deluded into thinking Bob Dylan could sing, so Anything is possible smile.

chas

Chas, you can use a shovel to break ground and build a new hospital....or you can use a shovel to shovel horse manure in a stable...I don't know who would be the pro..
BTW: My friends I mentioned above are pros on everyone's list..
I think if you are concerned for the skill level...we can turn off the "auto" stuff..call off some tunes and just play...I am up for it..when you flying in to Philly area?

#394110 - 10/02/14 04:22 PM Re: Watch how much fun an arranger can be [Re: Fran Carango]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango

I think if you are concerned for the skill level...we can turn off the "auto" stuff..call off some tunes and just play...I am up for it..

Sorry Fran, I just don't know that many Polkas smile.

chas

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online