SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#393470 - 09/20/14 04:35 AM Re: So, how big a deal is your sound system? [Re: J. Larry]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: J. Larry
I&#146;m finding that my two Yamaha arrangers sound better through powered studio monitors, rather than powered PA speakers. However, they are more awkward to carry around, since most monitors don&#146;t have handles and most don&#146;t have covers over the speaker fronts. But to my hearing, bi-amped monitor speakers have a clarity that PA speakers can&#146;t match.

But they're 'nearfields'. They sound great in the studio or a small to medium sized living room but not in your average public venue. They just don't push enough 'air' else everyone would be 'playing out' with 5-8" speakers. You may find that they (Arrangers) also sound great through decent headphones.

chas

#393471 - 09/20/14 05:28 AM Re: So, how big a deal is your sound system? [Re: guitpic1]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Most dedicated keyboard amps (with speakers) are generally nearfield and mainly considered monitors.

I think it also depends on the situation...in my case, using two powered stage monitors was ideal, as I only wanted the sound to project a certain distance. Those who wanted to hear music would be seated closer, whereas, those who came to the venue/restaurant to just talk, could be seated far enough away so that the music did not interfere.

"Studio" monitors and "stage" monitors are usually set up with different "throws", the latter tending to be longer. Studio monitors wouldn't work for my restaurant work...I tried a set of B&W D-110's powered by a 200 watt/side amp and they were unsatisfactory, at least for my needs.

Having used them before (rented), for stage use, I would seriously consider using two Bose L1 systems (in stereo), despite the initial higher cost, as they virtually eliminate the need for stage monitors, so money is saved in that area as is set-up/breakdown time.

Speaker systems are made today in many more (and often confusing) varieties, and custom installations are becoming the norm for many venues (house systems)....we sure have come a long way from the old Electro-Voice "Voice Of The Theater" speakers (and big old Crown amplifiers) we used to drag around back in the day.

Ian

#393527 - 09/21/14 04:13 PM Re: So, how big a deal is your sound system? [Re: guitpic1]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
As a non-performing songwriter... for my purposes, the sound system (speakers) are not required. I use only earphones to hear what is being played and vocalized into only one track of a digital recorder. The preparation of the keyboard, modification and selection of instruments (Yamaha calls them voices) plus the volume change for each, then the selection and integration of a Multipad and it's usual four options, takes more time than the actual recording. This is how I avoid multi-track recording and the mix-down process.

If the first "take" of the song does not turn out well, I simply make any required adjustments or changes, then re-record the entire thing. In effect, these turn out to be "live" recordings and they have worked well for an old geezer like me. One benefit of this method is the amount of practice I get via this type of recording. There are exceptions and every now and then, a song will turn out exactly as I planned it... in only one take.

Those of you who perform in public with your multi-faceted rigs and connected devices, speakers, even lighting systems, have my complete admiration. Couple that with your vocal work and you do indeed, represent a "one man band" to be respected, admired and envied. A few of you deserve the "idolization" from fans that you receive... night after night. Kudos to all of you.

Dave Rice

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online