SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#393442 - 09/19/14 12:53 PM HK Nano and Bose Compact combo
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Last night my wife and I played for about 40 people I would guess...smaller room.

I played our Tyros 4 into our HK Nano 300 and my wife sang and played a bass through one of our Compacts.

To my hearing, her voice was OK through the Compact since the mike input is EQ'd for that purpose...but the bass was pretty flat..nothing special.

For the Tyros 4 and my voice through the T4, I had to tune the Nano 300 a bit(once in the room)...but once that was done...a nice full sound for both the keyboard and my voice(with Tyros 4 EQ ing)came out of that Nano.

I would have brought a Compact for the Tyros but, at least in our studio, the Tyros seems to sound fuller through the Nano 300...especially when I run stereo cables to the Nano 300.

For a period of time, I went to the back of the room, maybe 50 feet to listen to the sound. I couldn't hear a lot of difference in volume Nano vs. Compact but the Nano sure sounded bigger..but then again it was plugged into the Tyros.

I'm tempted to get a second Nano 300 for my wife. I believe her bass would sound better. I'm guessing her voice would sound thinner through the Nano...no EQ...well anyway some sort of note symbol but I'm not sure about whether it affects sound or not.

Anyway...

Hope you all have a good weekend.

Our Dalton Opera House(check out facebook) has a jam on Sat and a Dance on Sunday. But I'm thinking I'll probably use the JBL 515XT's for the dance as I don't think either the Bose Compacts or Nano 300 would cover.

Take care all.

smile

Edited by guitpic1 (09/19/14 12:57 PM)

#393445 - 09/19/14 01:24 PM Re: HK Nano and Bose Compact combo [Re: guitpic1]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Sounds to me...you need to use a small mixer to get things right.
Seperate eq and effects for the bass, and your wife's vocals..

I know for a fact the Bose Compact sounds better with a full range mixer (like Edirol M-10dx)..

#393448 - 09/19/14 02:18 PM Re: HK Nano and Bose Compact combo [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Ditto!

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#393452 - 09/19/14 02:41 PM Re: HK Nano and Bose Compact combo [Re: guitpic1]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Let me clarify, I am not saying the Bose is better than the Nano, when using a mixer...It will make both units sound better, with eq adjustments...especially if your mixer has 16/32 band eq..

#393482 - 09/20/14 09:30 AM Re: HK Nano and Bose Compact combo [Re: guitpic1]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
What Fran said. Small mixer and how about 1 of your JBL 515XTs.
Simplier setup, plenty of sound.

#393483 - 09/20/14 09:45 AM Re: HK Nano and Bose Compact combo [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Use your own ears I always say.... headphone
But that only works if you know what to listen for and sadly many players don't have the stage experience to realize that. A few times I have watched and listened to acts on stage in different venues I have performed with who were playing in different rooms ........during breaks I would chat a bit with them, talk shop, etc, ......to my surprise after noticing one players PA sounded muddled and way too Bassy, drowning out the vocals big time leaving them with no clarity what so ever,.....when I brought this up to him he merely shrugged his shoulders and says "Sounds good to me" surprised
And this has happened more then once,......I have played on many big stage venues, arenas, etc, thru the years with some Headline acts years ago, with thousands of people in the audience using different professional Audio technicians out front whom I learned many tricks of the trade to properly EQ the room sound during a show & how to "sit in the mix" also which is very important to not overdo the other players in the band. Now as a OMB I use many of those things to make My Sound the best it can be. And also your instruments must be properly EQ'd as well,...You may think you have the best PA in the world but if it isn't correctly setup, & EQ'd properly it's all for nothing. Sounding good on stage is Science, Talent, & Lots of Stage Experience, but when that all comes together it's Pure "Magic" keys

Edited by Dnj (09/20/14 09:50 AM)

#393501 - 09/21/14 03:52 AM Re: HK Nano and Bose Compact combo [Re: Dnj]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Good points all. In a recent trade with a local music store I ended up with this mixer; I haven't even plugged it in yet.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio...tput-processing

I had to use some $$$ credit I had coming from the store. I got this on the off chance that I would use it at our Dalton Opera House.

But for the smaller gigs that my wife and I do, I have resisted taking a mixer. We need 4 or 5 inputs for our duo and if I bring two powered speakers, I have those inputs.

It's the hassle of one more thing to bring and more cables to hook up for these small gigs that a mixer involves..lazy perhaps?

I do have a little Bose T1 mixer(four inputs) that I can use if necessary.

Lots of good input from you all.

Many thanks for taking your time.

Rog

#393510 - 09/21/14 07:28 AM Re: HK Nano and Bose Compact combo [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

i am really enjoying the Yamaha M Series Mixer line...
great FX and rugged build... keys

MG Series Mixers

Edited by Dnj (09/21/14 07:28 AM)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online