SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#393131 - 09/12/14 09:22 AM Re: Karoke is the real competition [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
There is some degree of truth to this thread - as I've stated so many times in the past, "our audiences just want to be entertained." and for the most part, this is the case.

Now, in my part of the world, nearly all the American Legions and VFWs went from live bands and OMBs to DJs and KJs about 5 years ago, and most of them have dropped the DJs entirely about 3 years ago. The KJs tend to draw the larger crowds the American Legions, VFWs and Animal clubs. Some have pretty good followings, mostly folks that want that 15 minutes of fame on stage, while singing their favorite, mostly older songs. In reality, the vast majority couldn't carry a tune in a 5-gallon bucket, but there are a few very talented singers that seem to show up every Friday night.

Now, the KJ guy always hopes that he can get some folks to get out on the dancefloor, but that's often a very difficult task. Mainly because some drunken fool is on stage trying to sing Patsy Cline's Crazy and her voice sounds like the family cat got it's tail caught in a wringer. The KJ guy, for the most part, starts out his night by singing the first few songs himself, especially if he, or she, has a decent singing voice. When the audiences don't respond by heading for the dancefloor, the KJ, similar to the DJs, begins cranking up the volume to near ear-bleed levels, thinking that will put someone on the dancefloor, but it rarely works that way.

The pay scale for the KJs, at least here, is $100 to $150 for a 4-hour job. This is about the same amount that a OMB or duo got at the same locations more than a decade ago, but they don't seem to care about the low wages - they do the KJ jobs on the side and rarely claim the income for tax purposes. They have to put up with drunks, crazies, and people with incredible egos, plus they usually work from 8 to midnight, and get home after 1 a.m.. They can have it! I sure don't want it. smile

As for competition, not to me. While some have tried in vein to get into the NH circuit, the ADs will NOT hire them around my part of the world. Neither will the high end restaurants and nite clubs, at least not those in the Baltimore metro area. They will hire OMBs, and small bands, but NOT KJs or DJs. I don't know why they will not hire them - I never asked.

Some KJs here are also DJs, and they tend to get a fair number of wedding jobs, but not those extremely high paying jobs that Donny is always touting. For the most part, they feel lucky if they get one wedding a month, and that's if they're really good at what they do. I know a few of these guys, and every one of them has a full-time day job somewhere else so he can eat on a regular basis.

As for people thinking the keyboard is nothing more than a canned music device, Donny is right. In that light, I set about educating my audiences several years ago. It was one of the smartest things I did as an OMB entertainer. At least once a month, I put on a demonstration of the arranger keyboard by explaining that nothing is automatic and you must be able to play the instrument. I demonstrate this by first firing up the keyboard and using it as a piano (which I'm not very good at), and begin playing "As Time Goes By" or another popular song everyone seems to know. Then, while playing, I begin singing the song, and tell them that now I'm going to be adding some of the more than 700 instruments that are in the keyboard. I hit the accompaniment button, but keep everything muted, then activate the style parts one at a time, telling them which instrument I will be adding. The audience is absolutely fascinated by this demonstration, and many, after the performance, come up to me and tell me that they never knew it was me actually playing the keyboard. Many thought it was nothing more than a CD player with lots of buttons. I even demonstrate the vocal harmony system, which equally amazes them. They love this technology, and for the most part, are fascinated by what can be done with an arranger keyboard. Several asked how much the keyboard cost, and where they could buy them. I usually send them to the local GC. I would not want to inflict the barrage of questions they would have on Frankieve. wink

So, I guess the KJs, and DJs are competition for someone out there, but not for those of us that work the senior circuits, high end restaurants, nite clubs, etc... From my standpoint, they can have all those $150 a night jobs where they put up with drunks and crazies - for me, it's just not worth it.

That's just my take on this, but keep in mind I'm an old fart, and we don't know anything - just ask a kid! wink

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#393133 - 09/12/14 09:46 AM Re: Karoke is the real competition [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
I demonstrate this by first firing up the keyboard and using it as a piano (which I'm not very good at), and begin playing "As Time Goes By" or another popular song everyone seems to know. Then, while playing, I begin singing the song, and tell them that now I'm going to be adding some of the more than 700 instruments that are in the keyboard. I hit the accompaniment button, but keep everything muted, then activate the style parts one at a time, telling them which instrument I will be adding. The audience is absolutely fascinated by this demonstration, and many, after the performance, come up to me and tell me that they never knew it was me actually playing the keyboard. Many thought it was nothing more than a CD player with lots of buttons. I even demonstrate the vocal harmony system, which equally amazes them. They love this technology, and for the most part, are fascinated by what can be done with an arranger keyboard.
Gary cool

Gary...IMO this is a very "GREY" area as it still doesn't explain the difference between someone playing a solo Piano alone,....vs someone "OPERATING" an Automatic Computerized music playing machine as that is what they are hearing. It's nice to try to explain to the audience once in a while what your doing, ....I myself have done Seminars for Musical appreciation Societies many times but I always tell and demonstrate to them how I "Control" the Arranger KB automatic sounds and styles via the keys & chord changes,...
it's not rocket science but that way they understand more of what is actually going on when they hear all the rhythms and instruments playing by one person.This also takes up time from the 1hr show which I try not to do unless it's a longer time on stage.

carry on

#393135 - 09/12/14 10:32 AM Re: Karoke is the real competition [Re: guitpic1]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
It stills makes me a bit annoyed when I see entertainers faking it by pretending to play and hitting transport buttons on an SMF playback. I am also being reminded here that the audience doesn't know or care.

Except for my own honor and satisfaction, why in hell have I worked to improve my playing all these years, to end up being no more appreciated than them?

Sad state of affairs.

#393137 - 09/12/14 10:47 AM Re: Karoke is the real competition [Re: guitpic1]
rosetree
Unregistered

Really sad.

#393138 - 09/12/14 10:51 AM Re: Karoke is the real competition [Re: guitpic1]
montunoman Online   content

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Gary, I like they idea of your demonstration. If you could ever make a video of it, I'd love to see it. Groove on.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#393140 - 09/12/14 11:10 AM Re: Karoke is the real competition [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: montunoman
Gary, I like they idea of your demonstration. If you could ever make a video of it, I'd love to see it. Groove on.

I agree that would be a kool video demo.

#393142 - 09/12/14 12:17 PM Re: Karoke is the real competition [Re: Bernie9]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Bernie9
It stills makes me a bit annoyed when I see entertainers faking it by pretending to play and hitting transport buttons on an SMF playback. I am also being reminded here that the audience doesn't know or care.

Except for my own honor and satisfaction, why in hell have I worked to improve my playing all these years, to end up being no more appreciated than them?

Sad state of affairs.

I've heard your music, Bernie, and you are what I call, an "honest" player...your stuff is well done, and is a reflection of your passion for playing music.

Ian

#393146 - 09/12/14 02:13 PM Re: Karoke is the real competition [Re: ianmcnll]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Thank you Ian. You are a friend and a gentleman. These, of coarse, are just starters.

#393148 - 09/12/14 02:48 PM Re: Karoke is the real competition [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I sometimes do a sort of demo also. I just turn on the drums and start "introducing" the band. I bring in the bass man, then a guitar strum, then I play a piano riff, then a ride on sax and/or guitar or organ. It generally goes over quite well. At least they know I'm in control because the "band"
just comps while I talk and I even throw in a mistake or two and tell them that it's on purpose because someone is always looking for something wrong and I want to please everyone.
This works best is smaller, more intimate, settings, where people are actually listening in the first place.

#393149 - 09/12/14 02:53 PM Re: Karoke is the real competition [Re: guitpic1]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I had a lot of fun like that at clinics, Don...I'd intentionally play the acoustic guitar out of tune, and then abruptly stop the song, admonish the guitar player, and then "tune" it using the pitch wheel and some well chosen notes. It always got a laugh.

The arranger is quite a palette of sounds and a great source of ideas.

Ian

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online