SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#392940 - 09/09/14 07:06 AM Seriously thinking Upgrading to T4 Anniversary..?
Dnj Offline

Seriously thinking Upgrading to T4 Anniversary edition...
from my S950.......I just love the sound & look in Black.....
Tilt display, and so many other features I currently don't have on my beloved S950...... Thoughts?

#392941 - 09/09/14 07:33 AM Re: Seriously thinking Upgrading to T4 Anniversary..? [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
What WE think doesn't matter ... it's how the KB fits YOUR needs ... try it and if it works, buy it ...
nuff said ... just sayin' ...
wink wink wink

Just 'joshin' with ya, Donny, because you know those would have been YOUR answers ... BUT, what I said, and what you WOULD have said, is good advice ... keys

Best of luck in your decision ...

#392943 - 09/09/14 07:34 AM Re: Seriously thinking Upgrading to T4 Anniversary..? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
smile

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#392944 - 09/09/14 07:36 AM Re: Seriously thinking Upgrading to T4 Anniversary..? [Re: travlin'easy]
Bachus Offline

We are just like kids, every big boy needs to spoil himself with a present from time to time..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#392947 - 09/09/14 07:45 AM Re: Seriously thinking Upgrading to T4 Anniversary..? [Re: Dnj]
vangelis Online   content

Loc: FLORIDA
If I had the money, I would buy it! LoL!

#392948 - 09/09/14 07:45 AM Re: Seriously thinking Upgrading to T4 Anniversary..? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Just about the time you get one, the new PSRS960, or whatever, will be announced.
smile

#392950 - 09/09/14 07:59 AM Re: Seriously thinking Upgrading to T4 Anniversary..? [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Wait a few months until they're extinct (according to you). Then you should be able to pick one up pretty cheap. Just sayin.

chas

#392952 - 09/09/14 08:03 AM Re: Seriously thinking Upgrading to T4 Anniversary..? [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA

#392953 - 09/09/14 08:14 AM Re: Seriously thinking Upgrading to T4 Anniversary..? [Re: Dnj]

And two months after you buy it, it will go on Ebay and you'll be complaining about how heavy and bulky the keyboard is compared to your S950.

Just sayin,

Gary cool

#392957 - 09/09/14 08:27 AM Re: Seriously thinking Upgrading to T4 Anniversary..? [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
Just about the time you get one, the new PSRS960, or whatever, will be announced.
smile

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ??
now that's one reason I am hesitant Don...
why did you have to tell me that?... crazy

#392958 - 09/09/14 08:31 AM Re: Seriously thinking Upgrading to T4 Anniversary..? [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
And two months after you buy it, it will go on Ebay and you'll be complaining about how heavy and bulky the keyboard is compared to your S950.

Just sayin,Gary cool

All valid points Gary, Thanx for your reply, the price isn't a factor at all,.....don't think I haven't ran all this thru my mind, I just dig the color, Tilt Display mostly ....like I said it was just a thought. There's really not too much I can do with it that my beloved S-950 cannot accomplish.

#392962 - 09/09/14 09:24 AM Re: Seriously thinking Upgrading to T4 Anniversary..? [Re: Dnj]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
We have the S950. Had it for about three months when a Tyros 4 anniversary model became available..new floor model.

Since the purchase of the Tyros 4, the S950 has been in the case. The Tyros has been out gigging two or more times a month.

There is a weight difference between the Tyros 4 and S950...about 10 lbs I think with cases on each. If I was out gigging twice a day like Gary, I might rethink it...but.

There is so much more control of features on the Tyros, the articulated screen, sounds are wonderful...hard drive that has a great operating system so file mgt is so easy.

I've thought of getting out the S950 and dusting it off, but I always reach for the Tyros.

smile

#392965 - 09/09/14 09:32 AM Re: Seriously thinking Upgrading to T4 Anniversary..? [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: guitpic1
We have the S950. Had it for about three months when a Tyros 4 anniversary model became available..new floor model.

Since the purchase of the Tyros 4, the S950 has been in the case. The Tyros has been out gigging two or more times a month.

There is a weight difference between the Tyros 4 and S950...about 10 lbs I think with cases on each. If I was out gigging twice a day like Gary, I might rethink it...but.

There is so much more control of features on the Tyros, the articulated screen, sounds are wonderful...hard drive that has a great operating system so file mgt is so easy.

I've thought of getting out the S950 and dusting it off, but I always reach for the Tyros.

smile

All these replies are bringing back all the things I didn't like about my Tyros 2 years ago whcih extends to all the tyros units after that for my needs,...I guess if I just stayed home and played in the living room it wouldn't be so bad,.....
But as the very busy daily gig animal that I am I would think it's best to stay with my beloved S-950 for now & like Don M said above just wait it out for the next MOTL S series units to come to market.....I'm hearing rumors about that happening as early as
Winter NAMM 2015 in January. Thanks everyone.

#392967 - 09/09/14 09:59 AM Re: Seriously thinking Upgrading to T4 Anniversary..? [Re: guitpic1]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: guitpic1

I've had a lot of time on the S950, and I also own a Tyros4 with the memory expansion.

Although the Tyros4 does not have the audio drum styles, I honestly don't care, as they are very limited as far as editing goes (same on Tyros5) and the T4's other great attributes, like an excellent feeling keybed (with aftertouch) and, the incredibly responsive/expressive SA2 voices (not on S950) made it a must-have for me.

The Tyros4 (and Tyros5) are for the more serious players who take their keyboard playing earnestly, because the overall control and response are quite a bit better than PSR. The FSX semi-weighted keyboard with aftertouch is just so damn playable.

However, if I was more of an entertainer and used SMF's, MP3's and the occasional style with not a lot of right hand work, the S950 (or even S750) would be plenty, especially for the older (and perhaps, busier) gigger who wants to save as much weight as possible, although the difference of 10 lbs never bothered me.

I'm still on the honeymoon with my Tyros4, even after more than two years ownership, and I haven't seen or played anything else that would tempt me away.

Well, maybe a Tyros6.... wink

Ian

#392969 - 09/09/14 10:16 AM Re: Seriously thinking Upgrading to T4 Anniversary..? [Re: ianmcnll]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
This thread got me to thinking about why it is I keep going for the Tyros 4, weight and all.

A few things...very important to me.

(1) Articulated screen large enough for me to see text for lyrics. On the S950 it was bring a book, or pad or something to see lyrics...one more piece of gear to haul and hook up.

(2) Switch for vocal harmony on T4. I'm not having to go into a program to turn on the harmony. I could use a foot pedal on the S950 for this function I know...but then...one more piece of gear to haul and hook up.

(3) Sliders/faders or whatever you want to call them. I love this control function to increase/decrease volume on styles..voices etc. Big deal when gigging. I used the buttons on the S950...and they weren't bad but not as easy to use as the sliders.

I'm not really a keyboardist..per se..although the T4 sure has gotten me working on learning.(as much as I can at age 65) But I do know quality sound when I hear it and I can hear a difference(better sound) between my T4 and the S950...not huge but it's there.

This is not to put the S950 down. Had I not stumbled into this floor model T4, I probably would be contentedly playing my S950 today.

smile

#392970 - 09/09/14 10:26 AM Re: Seriously thinking Upgrading to T4 Anniversary..? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Plus, on the Tyros4, there is the option of THREE pedals, but if you don't need that much detailed control, the S959/S750 still gives you two pedal inputs.

I like having volume control, a sustain pedal, and a footswitch for either changing effect variation (Leslie fast/slow e.g.) or for another function like VH on and off or whatever else I need.

And yes, I agree, the Tyros sound is better...must be better D/A converters.

Ian

#392971 - 09/09/14 10:27 AM Re: Seriously thinking Upgrading to T4 Anniversary..? [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
It depends...are you satisfied with a "get by" instrument, that meets your needs...or finally decide that you want a "players" instrument, that the company designed to be it's top model..

It would be such an easy decision for me...S950 is an instrument that I don't want to play..ever grin..and the Tyros4 the first Tyros model that I would be interested in using..
Good luck, finding a limited edition model (and you will pay through the nose) smile
What I would do....Get the best Yamaha has to offer..features are better..Tyros5..and it would have to be 76 keys...if you are going to be a player...get a player keyboard wink

#392972 - 09/09/14 10:49 AM Re: Seriously thinking Upgrading to T4 Anniversary..? [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
It depends...are you satisfied with a "get by" instrument, that meets your needs...or finally decide that you want a "players" instrument, that the company designed to be it's top model..

It would be such an easy decision for me...S950 is an instrument that I don't want to play..ever grin..and the Tyros4 the first Tyros model that I would be interested in using..
Good luck, finding a limited edition model (and you will pay through the nose) smile
What I would do....Get the best Yamaha has to offer..features are better..Tyros5..and it would have to be 76 keys...if you are going to be a player...get a player keyboard wink

Thanx Fran glad you could make the party and thanx for making me make my decision on NOT Buying a Tyros 4 at this time which I really don't need.I've had many many TOTL units from all companies as you well know and I don't think it changes my playing ability at all as I sound just as good playing & singing to all my audiences thru the years with what ever I play very successfully, 76 keys is not needed either for me, we all play it differently,
..cocky? no,....just confident in my abilities. keys

#392978 - 09/09/14 12:21 PM Re: Seriously thinking Upgrading to T4 Anniversary..? [Re: Dnj]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY

Attachments
US4608967-1.png

#392998 - 09/09/14 04:21 PM Re: Seriously thinking Upgrading to T4 Anniversary..? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Good one, Jerry...although it appears there are individuals who seem to manage quite well without one.

Maybe a Magic Mirror? Mirror mirror on the wall...

Ian

#393017 - 09/10/14 07:35 AM Re: Seriously thinking Upgrading to T4 Anniversary..? [Re: Jerryghr]
124 Offline

Originally Posted By: Jerryghr

That's funny, Jerry. It'd be handy on a few other forums too, where egos get a bit puffed now and again.

#393030 - 09/10/14 12:36 PM Re: Seriously thinking Upgrading to T4 Anniversary..? [Re: tony mads usa]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
What WE think doesn't matter ... it's how the KB fits YOUR needs ... try it and if it works, buy it ...

Donny,

Tony has the right idea you like it buy it. You can always sell it if your not happy with it. Your not that old a guy, neither am I. No problem shuffling the T4 around I did it for the 2 years I owned one. The T5 76 I have now is more of a challenge to move, it's not the weight as much as it is it's awarkward size.

#393034 - 09/10/14 12:45 PM Re: Seriously thinking Upgrading to T4 Anniversary..? [Re: Stephenm52]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Stephenm52

Donny,

Tony has the right idea you like it buy it. You can always sell it if your not happy with it. Your not that old a guy, neither am I. No problem shuffling the T4 around I did it for the 2 years I owned one. The T5 76 I have now is more of a challenge to move, it's not the weight as much as it is it's awarkward size.

Thanx Steve.....but I have decided to hold off at least until mid January Winter NAMM 2015 to see what the future holds .....
I am not in a rush by any means as my beloved S-950 is doing an Amazing job on stage for the last 18 months!!! keys

#393037 - 09/10/14 12:55 PM Re: Seriously thinking Upgrading to T4 Anniversary..? [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj

I am not in a rush by any means as my beloved S-950 is doing an Amazing job on stage for the last 18 months!!! keys

At least you and your 'beloved' KB have lasted longer than another 'beloved' couple I am aware of ... many years ago our band was going to play a wedding for this couple ... the drummer and I (co-'leaders' of the band) met with the couple a few times to make all the arrangements ... the groom to be kept calling his bride to be his "beloved" - "what ever my "beloved" wants, I want her to have, nothing is too good for my "beloved" ... well the 'beloved' couple didn't last 6 months after the wedding ... perhaps HE wasn't too good for his 'beloved' either ... wink

#393039 - 09/10/14 12:59 PM Re: Seriously thinking Upgrading to T4 Anniversary..? [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

At least you and your 'beloved' KB have lasted longer than another 'beloved' couple I am aware of ... many years ago our band was going to play a wedding for this couple ... the drummer and I (co-'leaders' of the band) met with the couple a few times to make all the arrangements ... the groom to be kept calling his bride to be his "beloved" - "what ever my "beloved" wants, I want her to have, nothing is too good for my "beloved" ... well the 'beloved' couple didn't last 6 months after the wedding ... perhaps HE wasn't too good for his 'beloved' either ... wink

Tony...it's just a term I use for the moment as I have learned from my mentor Uncle dave..."Everything I have is for Sale"....
including my "Beloved S-950....... cool2 If I had to change again at this point I would certainly go back to another KORG Pa3x 61 or Pa900.

Ps: and YES 18 months with one Kb is a record I'm proud of at the moment. clap

Edited by Dnj (09/10/14 01:03 PM)

#393045 - 09/10/14 01:35 PM Re: Seriously thinking Upgrading to T4 Anniversary..? [Re: Dnj]

Donny, I thought you had the PSR-3000 longer than 18 months. I could be wrong, though.

Gary cool

#393046 - 09/10/14 01:44 PM Re: Seriously thinking Upgrading to T4 Anniversary..? [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Donny, I thought you had the PSR-3000 longer than 18 months. I could be wrong, though.

Gary cool

It's possible Gary I just can't remember......it certainly was a classic arranger KB made lots of loot with that baby!!... wink
I also had the 2k, 21k, 3k, T1, T2, also wink

#393049 - 09/10/14 01:47 PM Re: Seriously thinking Upgrading to T4 Anniversary..? [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

The man has owned more KBs than I've owned SUITS ... laugh2

#393050 - 09/10/14 01:48 PM Re: Seriously thinking Upgrading to T4 Anniversary..? [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

The man has owned more KBs than I've owned SUITS ... laugh2

and that's just Yamaha....just saying... rotfl

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online