SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#392945 - 09/09/14 07:41 AM Re: Kids don't want Arranger KB's................. [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I love playing the American songbook but in todays world there are more choice than ever in music.

To a young up and coming entertainer that looks like a lot more fun than sittng down and learning scales and chords for a few years. Then trying to play to a young crowd with limitied Styles.
Kids toady have short attention spans and its got to be immediate satisfaction.
Its their way of expression as much as a sax player in a big band ripping off a hot solo. Times change.

#392956 - 09/09/14 08:21 AM Re: Kids don't want Arranger KB's................. [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
A few weeks ago, I was anchored at Fairlee Creek, located in Chesapeake Bay. There's a resort/restaurant/marina there called Great Oaks, which is strictly for the younger generation. Nearly 1,000 boats were anchored in the Creek on Labor Day weekend, nearly all of which were occupied by people 45 years old and younger. Lots of 20 somethings were on the beach listening and dancing to the music provided by local bands. Ironically, much of the music they performed was 70s to 90s stuff, and a fair number of Jimmy Buffett songs were included. During one of their many breaks, (those bands tent to take lots of breaks) I asked the lead guitar player and singer why they played so many Buffett tunes for what was obviously a very young crowd. He said "Because that's what they want to hear. If we didn't play lots of Buffett songs, we wouldn't be asked to come back every week. It's that simple."

As Donny always says "Nuff Said',

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#393010 - 09/10/14 01:31 AM Re: Kids don't want Arranger KB's................. [Re: Dnj]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Don't underestimate young kids' love for good music. Listen to Igor ( 12 yr ) and Kamil ( 11 yr ) pumping out a Billy Cobham cover. What a great rhythm section.

#393012 - 09/10/14 06:18 AM Re: Kids don't want Arranger KB's................. [Re: Nigel]
Dnj Offline

A few years ago I did a double gig with the "Micro Machines" at an outdoor picnic function, these young kids can really Rock rocker .........
now they are headlining at the Famous STONE PONEY in Asbury Park NJ where Bruce Springsteen and so many other Big Acts always stop in.

Edited by Dnj (09/10/14 06:21 AM)

#393019 - 09/10/14 09:03 AM Re: Kids don't want Arranger KB's................. [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
You have to get out more often grin

These guys would be just average in my area...

BTW: I didn't understand a word the vocalist sang or yelled..

Drummer and bass player worked well together...the other guy must have started the band smirk

#393021 - 09/10/14 09:32 AM Re: Kids don't want Arranger KB's................. [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Fran, I agree - I couldn't understand a single word he sang or screamed other than "anyway."

Nigel, those kids were great.

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (09/10/14 09:33 AM)

#393022 - 09/10/14 09:52 AM Re: Kids don't want Arranger KB's................. [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

They are just young kids, the girl bass player is terrific as well,.....and very talented. They are opening for some very big acts all over now, guess they are doing something right ..

Edited by Dnj (09/10/14 10:02 AM)

#393023 - 09/10/14 09:57 AM Re: Kids don't want Arranger KB's................. [Re: Dnj]
billyhank Offline

Well the other one was "ALL" about the drummer and the rest of the band did not exist, if there was a band.

Maybe it was a drum solo song????

#393041 - 09/10/14 01:22 PM Re: Kids don't want Arranger KB's................. [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
.... There's a resort/restaurant/marina there called Great Oaks, which is strictly for the younger generation. Nearly 1,000 boats were anchored in the Creek on Labor Day weekend, nearly all of which were occupied by people 45 years old and younger. Lots of 20 somethings were on the beach listening and dancing to the music provided by local bands. ... During one of their many breaks, (those bands tent to take lots of breaks) I asked the lead guitar player and singer why they played so many Buffett tunes for what was obviously a very young crowd. He said "Because that's what they want to hear. If we didn't play lots of Buffett songs, we wouldn't be asked to come back every week. It's that simple."
Gary cool

Gary ... summer and marinas and Jimmy Buffett go together like lime juice and tequila and ice ... that crowd could have been from the age of 20 something to sixty something and they all would have been rockin' to Buffett ... it's a fact of life ...
On the other side of the coin however, I know a few duos and trios that are playing 'early evening hours' - 5 or 6 PM to 9 PM at some local establishments for the 60s to 80s age group, playing 40s and 50s big band and American Songbook tunes, and they do quite nicely ... the establishments love it because it brings in people during what might otherwise be a quite time before the 'younger' crowd comes in ... wish I could crack that ring ...

#393043 - 09/10/14 01:33 PM Re: Kids don't want Arranger KB's................. [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Tony, I fill in for an ailing friend with the 60s to 80s crowd at a restaurant job on Monday nights. About 35 to 50 people show up every Monday night, I play from 6 till 8 p.m., they have dinner, dance for a few hours, then the crowd of younger drunks come in to watch Monday Night football and get bombed out of their minds. It's a neat gig, but they tend to be few and far between here these days.

Gary cool

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online