SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#392833 - 09/07/14 02:08 PM Bose question
underdog Offline

Hi Can anyone please tell me if a Bose L1 mk2 would be able to replace my persent setup for arranger keyboards (Ketron Audya)playing sometimes at fairly loud volume.
At present I am using two RCF art 312a mk3 and mixer and for larger gigs I add an Ampeg bass combo for separate bass output from keyboard.
This is a lot of carrying and setting up and I am not getting any younger.
If I could change to Bose,what kind if system would I need (extra bass bins etc) to replace my present setup or am I going the wrong way thinking this. Thank you.

#392838 - 09/07/14 03:29 PM Re: Bose question [Re: underdog]
Dnj Offline

take your keyboards to the store and set up and listen to different sound systems you can't make a choice or educated decision by asking a question like that on this forum. .....use your Own ears...good ..luck

Edited by Dnj (09/07/14 03:30 PM)

#392841 - 09/07/14 05:37 PM Re: Bose question [Re: underdog]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Hi Underdog, I play a Audya 5 going through two Bose Compacts. They sound great and I love the easy set up... Your system sounds like it put s out a very ballsy sound so I'm sure if the Bose could replace that, so do what Donny said- try a pair at the store and let us know what you think.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#392901 - 09/08/14 11:29 AM Re: Bose question [Re: underdog]
underdog Offline

Thanks you both for replying to my question. Unfortunately I live in a fairly remote part of N.Ireland and will have to make more enquiries as to where I might find a music store who has Bose in stock.(I haven't seen anyone here using Bose systems).
I would be interested if anyone would have any other other suggestions of good sounding compact system I could enquire about as there isn't much point asking a salesman on the phone as they will recommend only what they have in stock.

#392905 - 09/08/14 12:18 PM Re: Bose question [Re: underdog]
rosetree
Unregistered

Two of these RCFs have 800 Watts RMS in total and weigh 17 kilograms each. You would have a better weight/wattage ratio if you used either two JBL 515 XT or maybe Yamaha DXR 10. I'm not sure if a Bose L1 would have the same SPL.

Edit: Or you wait for the new JBL Eon 610 - it is rated 500 W RMS with a weight of 12 kilograms.

Edited by rosetree (09/08/14 12:20 PM)

#392906 - 09/08/14 12:32 PM Re: Bose question [Re: ]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Hello Underdog,

A recommendation to listen to different systems is also what I would recommend.

A big part of what I would consider has to do with audience size and venue.

I've used two Bose systems and still have Compacts. They are great systems.

Another system I would suggest considering is the HK nano 300 or 600 apparently more available in Europe than the U.S.

I would say the HK nano is very good overall...especially regarding the full sound of a keyboard.

Best of luck.

smile

#392907 - 09/08/14 01:19 PM Re: Bose question [Re: underdog]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I had one original L1 and never came across any situation it wouldn't handle. I did an outdoor show at an automobile race track and everyone in the stands and on the ground could hear it plainly, yet it didn't blow the eardrums out of those seated near me.
I later added a second one (because I got a great price). I used both of them only one or twice, but never really needed the second one. Oh but WHAT A SOUND!!
I rarely do larger jobs anymore, so when the Compact came out I bought one. Loved it for anything up to maybe 60 people. I order another one. Two Compacts are easier to handle than one L1. Plus you always have a backup with you, plus you have true stereo. I played events up to 150 people without straining them at all.
I now have two HK Nanos. They are well up to any thing I do these days. It's a tossup between them and the Compacts.
You can't go wrong with the Bose gear. In the very unlikely event you need more bass (I never did for sure) you can always add another B1 unit.
As for the T1, it is MONO only and quite expensive for what it does. I found an inexpensive small mixer (Mackie, Edirol, Yamaha, Peavey--I've used them all) offers more versatility than the T1 at a lot less money.

Edited by DonM (09/08/14 01:21 PM)

#392911 - 09/08/14 02:12 PM Re: Bose question [Re: underdog]
underdog Offline

I am amazed at the kindness of people taking the trouble to reply to my question.
I play Rock&Roll,Country,Pop and some Irish (Roland FR7 accordian) From small clubs to weddings.From about 50 to 300 people
I like having a nice deep sounding bass sound and bright sounding piano and snare drum sounds.
Many thanks to all

#392913 - 09/08/14 02:57 PM Re: Bose question [Re: underdog]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA

I like having a nice deep sounding bass sound and bright sounding piano and snare drum sounds.

I really think for the price and prefomance you want you can't go wrong with a pair of JBL 515xts. One will handle a lot of your preformances.
They're on sale for half they're original price. $350 each.

#392917 - 09/08/14 03:30 PM Re: Bose question [Re: underdog]
rosetree
Unregistered

+1... my suggestion.

BTW, that's why I am struggling to sell my JBL Eon 510 on Ebay: the price has dropped so dramatically because JBL is currently introducing new models. (However, there won't be such a lightweight speaker as the 510 any more).

#392920 - 09/08/14 05:37 PM Re: Bose question [Re: underdog]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
One of the big problems of trying a sound system in a music store is that music store does not have the natural reverb and ambiance of a hall, pub, restaurant, etc... If you were to listen to a Bose L1 Compact in a small room, one the size of my office, which is just 12 X 15 feet, you would think that it could never handle a crowd larger than 10 people. That same system in a mid size hall sounds fantastic.

As for bottom end, both the L1 and the L1 Compact have all you need for just about any venue or musical style. In fact, there are times when I have to back off on the lows in order to not overpower the room with bottom end. And, that's when using a pair of compacts.

Now, I rarely perform large jobs anymore, nothing more than 150 people most of the time. A pair of compacts can easily handle a rowdy crowd that size and still have lots of headroom. A single can easily handle up to 75 people, even a rock crowd.

Now, I don't know about Bose policies outside the U.S.A. In this part of the world, you can use it for up to 45 days, and if you or your audiences don't like what they hear, you can return it for a full refund - no questions asked. I do not know of any other PA manufacturer that will do this for you. Granted, Bose systems are expensive, but I sincerely believe that the quality Bose provides is second to none.

Good luck on whatever you decide upon,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#392937 - 09/09/14 05:14 AM Re: Bose question [Re: underdog]
Bill Lewis Offline

I hate to go round and around with this again but when I was shopping I went to the locak GC and the manager of the PA dept. was setting up and L! system. I asked him the feedback he's gotten on them. He said he wished they were never in the store.
Way overpriced for what they are. ANd alone never ehough without the additional bass modules. He did demo and suggest the new EV line to me but I didn't see a significant improvement over the 515's

Do the math.

2 JBL515XT's = $700 2 Compacts = $2000
45 day return policy 30 day return policy
650 watts 40, 60, 120 ????
15" LF speaker 8" LF speaker

And I don't care what kind of electronic magic is presented LF physics is about moving air. If you do any kind of upbeat dance music you need bottom. And for the money I spent I may buy a set of 510s for my rehearsal room and still come out ahead.

But you do need to auditon things for yourself. Buy and send back if necissary.

OK thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

#392938 - 09/09/14 05:47 AM Re: Bose question [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Good luck bill with your new JBL speakers
a very smart choice for sure. enjoy them...

If you need covers check out Connie's covers on Ebay she custom makes them for all models...I have them on all my speakers. cool2

Connies Speaker Covers

Edited by Dnj (09/09/14 05:50 AM)

#392942 - 09/09/14 07:34 AM Re: Bose question [Re: underdog]
Bill Lewis Offline

Thanks Donny

I used them in the past. Nice little cottage business that girl started for herself.
I went for the JBL bags for the speakers. They have a pocket for the wires so each speaker is sort of self contained. Since I was buying the speakers they gave me a good deal on the bags too.

Did a party Sunday night and agin used one for the group in a fairly large room. The JBL rocked. Doing a big picnic this Sat. Can't wait to crank up both of them in stereo.

#392959 - 09/09/14 08:36 AM Re: Bose question [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
Thanks Donny

I used them in the past. Nice little cottage business that girl started for herself.
I went for the JBL bags for the speakers. They have a pocket for the wires so each speaker is sort of self contained. Since I was buying the speakers they gave me a good deal on the bags too.

Did a party Sunday night and again used one for the group in a fairly large room. The JBL rocked. Doing a big picnic this Sat. Can't wait to crank up both of them in stereo.

Bill your gonna love what you hear in Stereo for sure with those JBL's,..I've done many Special Group & Corporate functions in
Cape May, Grand Hotel, etc, thru the years,..& I'll bet if you hook up a Good Sub when needed like I do with my DXR's & EV ZXA1...
OMG!! the dance floor will Rumble baby yeah!! dance

Have Fun!!

#393000 - 09/09/14 05:14 PM Re: Bose question [Re: DonM]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: DonM

As for the T1, I found an inexpensive small mixer (Mackie, Edirol, Yamaha, Peavey--I've used them all) offers more versatility than the T1 at a lot less money.

I dunno Don ... the T-1 has a great guitar tuner which I love, easy to see in the dark controls, fantastic effects and lots of combinations of them - none of the mixers you mentioned can compete with that. True, it's more money, but - protective case, cool mounting hardware, case cover, preset scenes ..... add it up.

#393001 - 09/09/14 05:24 PM Re: Bose question [Re: underdog]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
It depends on what you need.

#393076 - 09/10/14 06:25 PM Re: Bose question [Re: underdog]
Uncle Dave Offline

Yes, if all you need is Vol, EQ and basic effects - there are many inexpensive choices for you. I like more. I want more than enough.
smile

#393077 - 09/10/14 06:29 PM Re: Bose question [Re: Uncle Dave]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
Yes, if all you need is Vol, EQ and basic effects - there are many inexpensive choices for you. I like more. I want more than enough.
smile

Don mentioned Edirol...Do I have to prove that to you..too smile

#393157 - 09/12/14 06:10 PM Re: Bose question [Re: underdog]
Uncle Dave Offline

Quiet, G70-boy.
The Bose mixer is awesome, and the Edirol is discontinued.

#393158 - 09/12/14 06:31 PM Re: Bose question [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
Quiet, G70-boy.
The Bose mixer is awesome, and the Edirol is discontinued.

Ouch!! coffee

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online