SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#392920 - 09/08/14 05:37 PM Re: Bose question [Re: underdog]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
One of the big problems of trying a sound system in a music store is that music store does not have the natural reverb and ambiance of a hall, pub, restaurant, etc... If you were to listen to a Bose L1 Compact in a small room, one the size of my office, which is just 12 X 15 feet, you would think that it could never handle a crowd larger than 10 people. That same system in a mid size hall sounds fantastic.

As for bottom end, both the L1 and the L1 Compact have all you need for just about any venue or musical style. In fact, there are times when I have to back off on the lows in order to not overpower the room with bottom end. And, that's when using a pair of compacts.

Now, I rarely perform large jobs anymore, nothing more than 150 people most of the time. A pair of compacts can easily handle a rowdy crowd that size and still have lots of headroom. A single can easily handle up to 75 people, even a rock crowd.

Now, I don't know about Bose policies outside the U.S.A. In this part of the world, you can use it for up to 45 days, and if you or your audiences don't like what they hear, you can return it for a full refund - no questions asked. I do not know of any other PA manufacturer that will do this for you. Granted, Bose systems are expensive, but I sincerely believe that the quality Bose provides is second to none.

Good luck on whatever you decide upon,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#392937 - 09/09/14 05:14 AM Re: Bose question [Re: underdog]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I hate to go round and around with this again but when I was shopping I went to the locak GC and the manager of the PA dept. was setting up and L! system. I asked him the feedback he's gotten on them. He said he wished they were never in the store.
Way overpriced for what they are. ANd alone never ehough without the additional bass modules. He did demo and suggest the new EV line to me but I didn't see a significant improvement over the 515's

Do the math.

2 JBL515XT's = $700 2 Compacts = $2000
45 day return policy 30 day return policy
650 watts 40, 60, 120 ????
15" LF speaker 8" LF speaker

And I don't care what kind of electronic magic is presented LF physics is about moving air. If you do any kind of upbeat dance music you need bottom. And for the money I spent I may buy a set of 510s for my rehearsal room and still come out ahead.

But you do need to auditon things for yourself. Buy and send back if necissary.

OK thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

#392938 - 09/09/14 05:47 AM Re: Bose question [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Good luck bill with your new JBL speakers
a very smart choice for sure. enjoy them...

If you need covers check out Connie's covers on Ebay she custom makes them for all models...I have them on all my speakers. cool2

Connies Speaker Covers

Edited by Dnj (09/09/14 05:50 AM)

#392942 - 09/09/14 07:34 AM Re: Bose question [Re: underdog]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Thanks Donny

I used them in the past. Nice little cottage business that girl started for herself.
I went for the JBL bags for the speakers. They have a pocket for the wires so each speaker is sort of self contained. Since I was buying the speakers they gave me a good deal on the bags too.

Did a party Sunday night and agin used one for the group in a fairly large room. The JBL rocked. Doing a big picnic this Sat. Can't wait to crank up both of them in stereo.

#392959 - 09/09/14 08:36 AM Re: Bose question [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
Thanks Donny

I used them in the past. Nice little cottage business that girl started for herself.
I went for the JBL bags for the speakers. They have a pocket for the wires so each speaker is sort of self contained. Since I was buying the speakers they gave me a good deal on the bags too.

Did a party Sunday night and again used one for the group in a fairly large room. The JBL rocked. Doing a big picnic this Sat. Can't wait to crank up both of them in stereo.

Bill your gonna love what you hear in Stereo for sure with those JBL's,..I've done many Special Group & Corporate functions in
Cape May, Grand Hotel, etc, thru the years,..& I'll bet if you hook up a Good Sub when needed like I do with my DXR's & EV ZXA1...
OMG!! the dance floor will Rumble baby yeah!! dance

Have Fun!!

#393000 - 09/09/14 05:14 PM Re: Bose question [Re: DonM]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: DonM

As for the T1, I found an inexpensive small mixer (Mackie, Edirol, Yamaha, Peavey--I've used them all) offers more versatility than the T1 at a lot less money.

I dunno Don ... the T-1 has a great guitar tuner which I love, easy to see in the dark controls, fantastic effects and lots of combinations of them - none of the mixers you mentioned can compete with that. True, it's more money, but - protective case, cool mounting hardware, case cover, preset scenes ..... add it up.

#393001 - 09/09/14 05:24 PM Re: Bose question [Re: underdog]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
It depends on what you need.

#393076 - 09/10/14 06:25 PM Re: Bose question [Re: underdog]
Uncle Dave Offline

Yes, if all you need is Vol, EQ and basic effects - there are many inexpensive choices for you. I like more. I want more than enough.
smile

#393077 - 09/10/14 06:29 PM Re: Bose question [Re: Uncle Dave]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
Yes, if all you need is Vol, EQ and basic effects - there are many inexpensive choices for you. I like more. I want more than enough.
smile

Don mentioned Edirol...Do I have to prove that to you..too smile

#393157 - 09/12/14 06:10 PM Re: Bose question [Re: underdog]
Uncle Dave Offline

Quiet, G70-boy.
The Bose mixer is awesome, and the Edirol is discontinued.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online