SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#391804 - 08/13/14 08:59 PM Re: Don Mason made me do it!... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Donny, most folks think that sailing requires no effort other than steering the boat - that's not the case. It's very physical, lots of things to do and some quite strenuous. I'm trying to make things a bit easier to handle on the boat, but there comes a time when age defeats all your best efforts. It's just the way life works. I should know more by Friday night after the cardiac nuclear stress test is completed and the test results are in.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#391805 - 08/13/14 09:37 PM Re: Don Mason made me do it!... [Re: travlin'easy]
124 Offline

Hope it all works out for the best for you, Gary.

#391812 - 08/14/14 03:48 AM Re: Don Mason made me do it!... [Re: travlin'easy]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Gary,

You'd never know you're having the problems you're having. I know at the jam you talked about the issues with the lungs. sorry to hear the news. Nevertheless good job with the tune.

On sailing I've been out a couple times 30 years ago with a neighbor, it was lots of work.

#391819 - 08/14/14 12:11 PM Re: Don Mason made me do it!... [Re: travlin'easy]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Gary:

Your health is more important than just about anything. Get better and share this gem in the making when you feel like it... not before, my friend. The great thing about guys like us... we're still above ground... and that is such a good thing.

All my best,

Dave

#391911 - 08/16/14 10:01 AM Re: Don Mason made me do it!... [Re: Riceroni9]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Gary ... how did you make out with your most recent tests?

#391929 - 08/16/14 08:03 PM Re: Don Mason made me do it!... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

The pulmonary tests were pretty much as I anticipated. I've lost more than 50 percent of my lung capacity, and my ability to absorb oxygen has deteriorated significantly. Nothing can be done to change any of this - nothing! When my oxygen saturation dips below 88 percent, I will have to go on home oxygen. My current level is 89 to 92 percent, which is really taxing my heart.

I had the nuclear stress test Friday, when they shot the juice to me, my heart rate shot up to 115, my blood pressure fell, and my oxygen level plummeted to 87 percent - not good. It took more than an hour for my heart rate to get below 85 and that was after taking a beta blocker.

On top of it all, I have developed a nasty sinus infection, which hopefully can be rectified with a heavy load of antibiotics. Trying to get an appointment with the ENT guy on Monday.

Next week, a full body cat scan is scheduled, which will provide some information as to just how bad the lungs are. The outlook is very bleak, I've had to cancel a dozen jobs so far, and this will likely be my last year as a performer.

For those that do not understand pulmonary asbestosis, the best way to describe what I'm experiencing is to pinch off your nose, place a straw in your mouth, then try to run up two flights of stairs while breathing through the straw. That's what it's like. The asbestosis has scarred my lung's alveolar sacs to the point where they can no longer exchange oxygen and carbon dioxide efficiently. It is not COPD, but instead, it is a pulmonary restrictive disease that eventually turns your lungs into a leather like substance that no longer function. Eventually, they will no longer be able to expand and congract. It is a progressive disease, for which there is no cure short of a transplant, but at my age, that's out of the question. And, I probably would not survive the surgical procedure.

Ironically, very few physicians have any substantive knowledge of pulmonary asbestosis. They continue to try to treat it as COPD with bronchdialators, most of which are steroidal and have absolutely no positive effect whatsoever. And, the side effects of the steroidal bronchodialators can be fatal to someone with asbestosis. Two physicians, including one pulmonary physician, have tried to put me on them in the past two weeks. When I questioned their decision to prescribe the meds, both admitted they had no clinical experience with asbestosis.

The only treatment, which is not in any way a cure, is oxygen. This will ease the stress on the heart, and allow the patient to breathe easier because of the increased oxygen saturation in arterial blood. It is a stop-gap measure at best. The only other option is hyperbaric oxygen, which is incredibly expensive and very short term.

At the rate I'm going, the Florida Keys Synthzone Jam is out of the question this winter. Carol and I have been discussing this, and I just don't believe I could tolerate the 1,200-mile drive. It may well may be a very long winter for me.

Cheers,

Gary cool

#391931 - 08/16/14 08:31 PM Re: Don Mason made me do it!... [Re: travlin'easy]
billyhank Offline

Gary,

Surely you can find a physician practiced in asbestos related lung disease in your area.

That is a very depressing diagnoses my friend.

I hope you find someone who can help you.
Maybe not cure, but hopefully stop the progression.

Bill G

#391937 - 08/17/14 05:01 AM Re: Don Mason made me do it!... [Re: travlin'easy]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I am really sorry to hear about your health issues . Keep fighting and doing what you do . God bless you and my sincerest best wishes to you in over coming as best as you are able your current challenges . Even in adversity you continue to be a source of joy and inspiration to others . That's very special .

#391954 - 08/17/14 08:20 AM Re: Don Mason made me do it!... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks for the well-wishes guys.

Billy, unfortunately, the vast majority of pulmonogist do not delve into treating or diagnosing asbestosis, mainly because the disease is essentially not treatable, thus they cannot make any money on a disease they cannot treat with some type of therapy or medication(s). And, lets face it, the practice of medicine is a business, and the physicians are in business to make money.

Now, there are some ambulance chaser physicians out there that claim to specialize in asbestosis, however, their specialty is in the diagnosis of asbestosis and mesothelioma, for which they are paid quite well by the attorneys whom file claims in behalf of the patients against the $18-billion asbestos industry reparation fund. The lawyers pull in 1/3 of the amount awarded to the patient/victim and from that the physicians making the diagnosis gets a pretty hefty chunk.

While I was sitting here typing this, the phone rang and it was the cardiologist, who said Friday's nuclear stress test results were fine, but suggested increasing my beta blocker to take some of the stress of asbestosis off my heart. At least there has been some good news this past week.

Gary cool

#391956 - 08/17/14 09:03 AM Re: Don Mason made me do it!... [Re: travlin'easy]
billyhank Offline

Gary,

May be a small blessing in that you do not have lung cancer, which is the usual result of asbestos in the lungs.

I have lost 3 friends to asbestos caused lung cancer.
But - they all smoked, were welders and worked on heavy equipment with lots of asbestos in brake linings and clutches.

Makes me very sad to think you must give up your entertaining as it is a big part of your life, but hopefully you can still have more good years with your family.

Bill G

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online