SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#391742 - 08/10/14 11:41 PM Re: Michael Franks Under The Sun [Re: tony mads usa]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Always loved Michael Franks. Such a good choice for material to play Tony.

#391746 - 08/11/14 08:23 AM Re: Michael Franks Under The Sun [Re: tony mads usa]
Walt Tenay Offline

Loc: Rutherfordton, NC
Hi Tony,

Found a live version of that song a little lengthy with the great trumpet solo. Someone put in the lyrics that might be handy if and when we learn it.http://www.synthzone.com/forum/images/icons/default_dark/thumbs_up.gif

#391767 - 08/12/14 09:36 AM Re: Michael Franks Under The Sun [Re: tony mads usa]
salsaman Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA., USA
Thank you so much to turning me on to such a great tune. Dave got me started with those "bread and butter" chord changes. This is a huge harmony/theory concept for me to get my head around.

I've played "Popsicle Toes" for years and really love this live version of "Under The Sun". Again, a huge thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

#391776 - 08/12/14 01:49 PM Re: Michael Franks Under The Sun [Re: salsaman]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Walt ... that is a real nice version and a real cool solo ... for MYSELF, I think I prefer the 'simpler' versio ... I LOVE the guitars in that one ...
thanks for posting that ...
Here's a link to the lyrics:
http://www.metrolyrics.com/under-the-sun-lyrics-michael-franks.html

#392035 - 08/19/14 02:15 PM Re: Michael Franks Under The Sun [Re: Uncle Dave]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
OK Tony ... I didn't transcribe the entire song, but I knew it sounded like a bunch of descending ii V I progressions, so I gave it a quick listen and here's the beginning phrases:
Amaj7 Am7 D7
Gmaj7 Gm7 C7
Fmaj7 Fm7 Bb7
Ebmaj7 Ebm7 Ab ... then it hangs on that Ab for a bit.

This will get you started, but I didn't listen that close for inversions and additives etc .... just a stock set of changes for you to experiment with. Have fun!
Some old timers called that sequence "bread & butter" changes. I've also herd them refereed to as "Sears & Roebuck" changes because of their widespread popularity.

UD ... thanks again ... working on first two choruses ... hope to try the bridge next week ...

Anyone else working on this tune?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online