SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#391527 - 08/05/14 10:44 AM Re: Is the S950 the Last MOTL Arranger for Yamaha? [Re: travlin'easy]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy

I kinda look at it this way, if you want to be a DJ/KJ that has a keyboard sitting in front of them, why not just get a high-power laptop, some quality sound system, and eliminate the keyboard altogether? Hell, you're not using the keyboard as an instrument. Most of the time you're just a DJ/KJ guy that sings, so in reality that keyboard is just something for show that you have to haul around. I've run across guys like this in some of the Baltimore clubs that don't even plug the keyboard in - it's just a show prop. Yeah, they can play, but they've either got tired or lazy, and just do the DJ/KJ thing.

Well, Gary, my friend, it's perhaps winding up in situations like you just described that make me very glad to be retired from any regular gigging.

I'm a player first and foremost, and I'm not at all interested in being a DJ/KJ to supplement any gigs. More power to those who can tolerate it, but it's definitely not something I want to do.

I just turned 65 this year and started Old Age Security back in April, so, I'm doing okay financially, so any jobs I take will be arranger playing only. At this point, the Tyros4 is perfect for my needs, which now include a fair amount of studio work and helping amateur singers make demo CDs.

Since I've also recently retired from Yamaha as well, I've really started to enjoy a more leisurely existence, and since selling my house and moving to a lovely secure apartment complex, I have no maintenance issues anymore, like snow removal or lawn mowing, which suits my basically lazy nature just fine. smile

I don't miss gigging (I guess after over 45 years, I was ready for retirement), and I especially wouldn't miss having to supplement by DJ'ing and/or KJ'ing.

I think you still have a unique product, and I'm sure you would be hired before a DJ act, especially at NH jobs, but also in a club environment as well.

Ian

#391528 - 08/05/14 10:57 AM Re: Is the S950 the Last MOTL Arranger for Yamaha? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Thanks Ian, I appreciate your comments. Amazingly, the largest audience draws in my area are to the Amoss Theater across from Harford Community College when they have the big bands appearing. They're sold out three months in advance of a Glenn Miller Orchestra or Dorsey Brothers Band concert. The theater seats 600, and there's always at least another 150 standing in the back. When they fire up and do In The Mood, the isles fill with people, young and old, dancing.

Now, the rock concerts at Merrywether Post Pavilion draw thousands of youngsters. You can smell the pot while parking your car, fights break out constantly, there were hundreds of police there last week and they had their hands full with the crazies. Not for me, but I guess the futuristic techie guys on the forum will love this kind of stuff.

With my current health situation, retirement is much closer than I would like, but when it comes, I'm ready. Gonna spend most of next summer sailing and enjoying what little time I have left on the planet. smile

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#391535 - 08/05/14 12:18 PM Re: Is the S950 the Last MOTL Arranger for Yamaha? [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Gary stop painting such a grim picture and just wake up and be Happy your alive and able to do what ever you want.....
Live every day as if it were your last my friend! party

Attachments
eeeeeee.jpg

#391536 - 08/05/14 12:23 PM Re: Is the S950 the Last MOTL Arranger for Yamaha? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Yep, live everyday as if it was your last...and, sooner or later, you'll be right!

Ian

PS...nothing grim about retirement Donny...it's not an "end", but a "beginning" of a new life.

#391537 - 08/05/14 12:31 PM Re: Is the S950 the Last MOTL Arranger for Yamaha? [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Yep, live everyday as if it was your last...and, sooner or later, you'll be right!

Ian

PS...nothing grim about retirement Donny...it's not an "end", but a "beginning" of a new life.

That's funny retire from what, Playing music? surprised ....give me a break! When people keep droning on heath issues it brings down the spirit in the room so to speak & everybody in it,......Think positive,always remember there are people way worse off then what ever you think is wrong with you so embrace life and go enjoy it every day. Hug your kids and you wife everyday, go out and enjoy life, and "retire" when your in the coffin.... cool2

Carry on

#391540 - 08/05/14 01:29 PM Re: Is the S950 the Last MOTL Arranger for Yamaha? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

Ian

That's funny retire from what, Playing music? surprised ....give me a break! When people keep droning on heath issues it brings down the spirit in the room so to speak & everybody in it,......Think positive,always remember there are people way worse off then what ever you think is wrong with you so embrace life and go enjoy it every day. Hug your kids and you wife everyday, go out and enjoy life, and "retire" when your in the coffin.... cool2

Carry on

Thanks Donny...I certainly hope you follow your own advice.

I retired from "gigging" not "playing"...I play for several hours every day.

Plus, I'm having a great time in this new apartment complex...I feel like it's a college dorm and I'm a kid in college.

If you can think even half as positively as I do, you'll do okay, grasshopper!

I got rid of the wife and have no kids so I give myself a great big hug every morning, just before I have my cuppa tea and switch on the Tyros4.

I honestly don't see much "droning" on here about health issues, but I do appreciate knowing how others (such as Gary) are fairing along health-wise, so keep thinking positive Donny and keep embracing life.

I know I will.

Ian

#391541 - 08/05/14 01:35 PM Re: Is the S950 the Last MOTL Arranger for Yamaha? [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Sounds a bit lonely for me Ian ...but who am I to judge...?

Attachments
Without family Quote...jpg

#391542 - 08/05/14 01:38 PM Re: Is the S950 the Last MOTL Arranger for Yamaha? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

That's right, Donny, we shouldn't judge...walk a mile in my shoes before you do.

Ian

#391549 - 08/05/14 03:13 PM Re: Is the S950 the Last MOTL Arranger for Yamaha? [Re: Dnj]
124 Offline

Hard to be lonely in Cape Breton. I've found Capers to be a gregarious, in-your-face kind of friendly bunch. And there's good musicians out the wazoo up there.

#391550 - 08/05/14 04:28 PM Re: Is the S950 the Last MOTL Arranger for Yamaha? [Re: Dnj]
DannyUK Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Is the S950 the Last MOTL Arranger for Yamaha?.... confused1

It's been a while? ...no buzz?, no rumors?, is it the end of an era? Hello Yamaha, we know your reading these posts?
If not future S-series units then what's on the horizon if at all in the MOTL Arranger KB category?
What's the delay or Whats next? confused1

Hi Donny,

To be honest, apart from some additional features and maybe extra audio styles I'm not sure how much better it would sound over the s950 overall. It would have to be a mini T4 at the very least, including all the vocals and synth/pad sounds from the T4 for me to even be remotely interested. I think it might be quite difficult for Yamaha to create something that sounds significantly better than the s950 whilst keeping it at the mid range price.

Edited by DannyUK (08/05/14 04:37 PM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online