SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#390192 - 06/29/14 02:54 PM First gig done with DXR15
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
We just finished a gospel concert/sing along with about 200 folks in a long hall that had very active acoustics.

The weapon of choice was our Yamaha DXR15 with the Tyros.

I ran my wife's vocals through the Tyros as she uses the harmonizer and I ran directly into the DXR15 mike input.

Impressions:

Tons of compliments on the sound...

Vocals were clear and crisp(both mine and hers) and if they were colored at all by the speaker(not sure?)...the vocals were colored in a very pleasant way.

Sound projected very well from the front of the hall to the back.

I did get a bit more bass than I thought I wanted from the stage but the audience said it was good. The bass issue is most likely operator ignorance at this point.

We did use this speaker yesterday with a small group...20 folks..and ran the DSP in monitor mode...low volume and it worked very well.

The speaker has more than enough power for this venue.

One thing that kind of blew me away.....

My wife uses a remote mike. I cautioned her not to point the mike at the front of the speaker.

During the sound check...with volume levels up significantly...she walked up to the DXR15..singing loudly and then out in the audience area.

Virtually no feedback!. And I mean none. This is the first system I've used since the Bose that I can claim that.

I'm not sure what Yamaha is doing sound wise...but it's impressive.

Rog

Edited by guitpic1 (06/29/14 03:07 PM)

#390193 - 06/29/14 03:03 PM Re: First gig done with DXR15 [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

DXR series rock !!nice review.

Edited by Dnj (06/29/14 03:26 PM)

#390194 - 06/29/14 03:18 PM Re: First gig done with DXR15 [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Sounds like you had lots of fun, and that's why many of us continue to perform.

Keep up the good work,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#390198 - 06/30/14 07:55 AM Re: First gig done with DXR15 [Re: guitpic1]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
I have been very impressed with the pair of Yamaha DXR10 speakers I use for my gigs! Enjoy!!!
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#390206 - 06/30/14 02:12 PM Re: First gig done with DXR15 [Re: guitpic1]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Hi Rog, are you using one or two speakers? Are you mounting them on poles? I took a look at those 15's today and they sure look big! I didn't get to hear them but I'm sure they sound great!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#390207 - 06/30/14 02:38 PM Re: First gig done with DXR15 [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

#390371 - 07/06/14 11:04 PM Re: First gig done with DXR15 [Re: montunoman]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Originally Posted By: montunoman
Hi Rog, are you using one or two speakers? Are you mounting them on poles? I took a look at those 15's today and they sure look big! I didn't get to hear them but I'm sure they sound great!

Hello Monty,

At this point we are using just one speaker. We haven't mounted the DXR15 yet because the sound seems to reach with the unit on the floor.

Yes, it is on the heavy side...50lbs. It's the weight of two Bose Compacts. But it seems to be able to handle more folks than the two Compacts although we are in the testing phase of that yet.

We did use the DXR15 for a small gig..20 people..small room..probably overkill. But I wanted to know how it performed in a small setting. I think the sound was great but we were probably at only 10% of the capacity of the DXR15. However, the DXR15 has some sort of programming built in that maximizes sound at all levels...and it sure seems to work. And the DXR15 has several settings that can be full on low volume and can also blast a huge sound in a larger setting.

We used the DXR15 in a larger hall with somewhere around 175 to 200 folks and the DXR15 was set on about 35% with lower bass setting and we still had head room to spare...pretty impressive.

To get the same capacity from a Bose, I really should have the L1 Model II which is three times the cost of the DXR15.

The reason I bought the DXR15 over other powered speakers is (1) the sound and (2) the DXR15 can be used as a stand alone PA system because it has a mixer built in...it's an incredibly versatile PA...much as the Bose Compacts are versatile.

Do I like hauling a 50lb PA around at age 65 by myself? No. But it's no tougher than me hauling two 25lb Bose Compacts at a time. It's pretty easy for two folks to haul the DXR15 as the handles are set in such a way that two people can carry it quite easily.

We've only used the DXR15 twice. But I can tell you this, I love the sound of it and, from what I've heard so far, I would choose to use the DXR15 over the Bose Compacts when feasible.

In my 50 some odd years of playing on stage, I've used all kinds of PA's from Mackie, to Yorkville, to Soundcraft, to Peavy, to JBL, to Bose and Yamaha a couple of times over...well you get the idea. I've even had some custom made PA stuff.

The Bose, and now, the Yamaha DXR systems are pretty amazing for what they can do sound wise for the price.

Yes, 50lbs seems heavy. But when I first started playing in public, I was hauling probably two hundred or more pounds of stuff...not all at once of course. smile

When it comes to PA..there's a lot of good choices out there nowdays....sort of spoils a person.

But the DXR series are right on the top of my choices now...definitely worth a look.

smile

Rog

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online