Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#390257 - 07/03/14 12:02 AM Faulty Technics EX35 speaker
Dave L. Offline

EX5 Technics Speaker problems

We have a Ex5 Technics with a blown speaker diaphram

Its a 7 inch 4 ohms

I have a slightly larger speaker [ 9 inch] that I could fit but not sure if a speaker that is 8 ohms is exceptable [ or can I connect another smaller speaker in series or is it in parallel to get the ohms down to about the 4 ohms as original.

Thanks from Dave L [in NZ.]

#390263 - 07/03/14 07:04 AM Re: Faulty Technics EX35 speaker [Re: Dave L.]
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Ideally, the replacement speaker should be 4 Ohm Impedance, however, it shouldn't be a problem substituting a single 8 Ohm speaker for a 4 Ohm original. Speaker Impedance varies considerably over the frequency range and the quoted impedence is a nominal value over the frequency range.
Replacing the original with an 8 Ohm speaker, you will probably experience a slight drop in sound output, for a given volume setting on the EX35, and possibly a different sound quality compared to the original speaker.

Substituting the other way around i.e. 4 Ohm for original 8 Ohm, is NOT recommended and could result in damage to the amplifier - particularly at high sound levels - since a lower impedance speaker will draw more current from the amplifier output circuit.

If you wish, you could use two 8 Ohm speakers in Parallel to provide a 4 Ohm load. When connecting two speakers together, you need to make sure that they are connected correctly i.e. in Phase, otherwise you will experience partial sound cancellation between the two speakers. Speakers usually have some kind of identifying marks on the connectors - either a '+' and '-' sign or a Red dot on one of the terminals. Like marked terminals should be connected together. If the speakers do not have identifying marks, then connecting them together incorrectly will NOT do any damage to the speakers or the amplifier.

If there are no markings on one or both speakers, You can achieve the correct 'phasing' by one of the following methods :

1. Trial and error - connect the speakers in parallel and just listen to the combined sound output. Reverse the connections on one speaker and listen again - the loudest result being the correct phasing....

If you find it difficult to determine if the phasing is correct using the above method, then use method 2.

2. Before fitting the speakers in the EX35, fit a couple of wires to one of the speaker's connections and then briefly connect a 1.5 Volt battery across the wire ends. Carefully observe the movement of the speaker cone as the battery is connected - it will move either out or in as the battery is connected. Note which connection is made to the Positive terminal of the battery and in which direction the speaker cone moves. Repeat the process on the second speaker, reversing the battery connection as necessary, to achive identical directional movement of the cone, to that of the first speaker. Again, note the terminal which is connected to the Positive terminal of the battery. Connect the two speakers together ensuring that the connections which were connected to the test battery's Positive terminal, are wired together. The two speaker combination can then be wired to the EX35's amplifier output - polarity is not important.

Note : When connecting the test battery, only do so briefly - just long enough to observe the direction of cone movement - to avoid over heating the speaker's voice coil.

Attachments
Spkrs.JPG

#390285 - 07/03/14 04:12 PM Re: Faulty Technics EX35 speaker [Re: Dave L.]
Dave L. Offline

Hello Bill,,

That's the suggestions and comments that I was wanting.
even the diagram makes this very plain

Its great we don't feel alone in guessing the dos and don'ts in some technical and especially electrical things.

Actually at the moment I have bridged the half inch gap that the blown speaker has-----It has improved the speaker sound but I wasn't satisfied as the base pedal sound is not a free deep sound that it is supposed to be.-------I used ducting tape to bridge the gap but the tape is probably too stiff to be able to flex properly on the lower deep base sounds.

The organ is very light in weight------- but UNFORTUNATELY manouvering it around I have again upset my long standing back problem and have been layed up since [ 2 1/2 weeks ]
Time is a great healer isn't it
My working life was a motor mechanic but I had to retire in my middle 50's due to ballooning lower discs that weren't able to be operated on

I and my wife still are serious organ and piano enthusiasts
Viv and I have created and run a Organ Club since my early retirement in 1988 and the Club is still going very well
We meet in homes and average attendance is about 12 to 15
What would we do without music in our lives

Thanks again Bill in a quick reply, as I only put a question on The Technics site less than a day ago

Dave L.

ps. I see I didn't put the correct Model in the [title ]
But it was correct in my question ---EX5 ---
I realise your answer would be the same
for whatever model Organ. --- Dave L. ---

#392082 - 08/22/14 01:00 AM Re: Faulty Technics EX35 speaker [Re: Dave L.]
thingamabob Offline

Loc: NSW Australia
Hi Bill
Do you know if there's any way to do a 'global' setting for the foot controllers on the KN7000?
I am having a lot of fun with my new 4 way pedal unit but each time i load a new style i have to set up the pedal options and then save to the style on the SD card. Would be great to create a sort of default setting that would cover the 800+ styles on the SD card.
Cheers
Bob Johnson

#392102 - 08/22/14 12:19 PM Re: Faulty Technics EX35 speaker [Re: thingamabob]
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Bob,
No Problem !!
First, set up the configuration which you require for your foot pedals : Program Menus > Control > Foot Controllers > Foot Cont. 1 through 4 and press EXIT x 3

Then press CUSTOMIZE > Data Protection > select Foot Controller Settings (Orange Rectangle) and set the option to 'ON' and press OK.
Press EXIT x 2.... That's it smile Your Foot switch settings should not change when loading new styles or song files from SD Card.
If you are also using the Foot switch 1 and 2 as well as the 4 way module, then just include their settings in the first stage of the process as well.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#392588 - 09/02/14 05:44 AM Re: Faulty Technics KN7000 SD load switch/button [Re: Bill Norrie]
thingamabob Offline

Hi Bill
I know I asked you about this in the past but can't remember/find your reply in my computers.
My SD LOAD switch is extremely intermittent these days and I have spent a bomb on EW boards and powered speakers recently and fallen even more in love with the beautiful beast. If the switch fails completely, is there any other way, apart from floppy disk, to get styles into the 7000 - connecting computer/software for example?

Cheers from sunny Oz

Bob J

#392630 - 09/03/14 03:16 PM Re: Faulty Technics KN7000 SD load switch/button [Re: thingamabob]
designserve Offline

Loc: Wales, UK
Hi,

Use the customise function to set up a favourites page with all the SD features on it.

Then you don't need to use the SD button anymore. Just use that favourites page.

Maybe there are other options that's the only one I could think of.

Best wishes,
Mike
https://wsa1.technicskeyboards.com/
KN7000 KN6500 KN6000 KN5000 KN3000 KN2600 KN2000 KN1000 KN901 KN800 P50 WSA1 AX7 GA3 PR804 Liverpool Tyros 3

#392853 - 09/08/14 01:33 AM Re: Faulty Technics KN7000 SD load switch/button [Re: designserve]
thingamabob Offline

Thank you kindly Mike
I'll give that a try and let you know.
Cheers
Bob

#392855 - 09/08/14 03:14 AM Re: Faulty Technics EX35 speaker [Re: Dave L.]
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Hi Bob,
I also have a problem with the SD card.
Every time I insert a Card it takes ages to recognise it (if at all).
If I turn the KB off, insert the card and turn it on, it works perfectly. ???!!!!
What part of NSW are you situated in?
I am in Sydney Hills District (where they started boring the new railway system today!!!)

Ray dance

#392898 - 09/08/14 11:10 AM Re: Faulty Technics EX35 speaker [Re: The Saint]
designserve Offline

Loc: Wales, UK
Hi Ray,

I would get a new card and copy your old one as soon as possible. This sounds like the card to me. It could be dirty contacts on the card or in the keyboard. At least you will find out when you have a new card whether you still have problems.

Best wishes,
Mike
https://wsa1.technicskeyboards.com/
KN7000 KN6500 KN6000 KN5000 KN3000 KN2600 KN2000 KN1000 KN901 KN800 P50 WSA1 AX7 GA3 PR804 Liverpool Tyros 3

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online