SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#390253 - 07/02/14 09:57 PM Colin....YES, you're wasting your money on lessons
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
......'cause I don't think you need them. If you listen to singers over the years, many of them have never had training and they made it to the top. (but I think Jay of Jay and the Americans is a genuine vocalist......Cara Mia, etc)

So I was cleaning out my "computer desktop" of mp3's and I came across the ones I recorded or downloaded from Synthzone postings over the last year or two.

I came across your "The Way You Look Tonight" and "To Make You Feel My Love." I was about to delete them (to recapture hard drive space) when I thought to myself how pleasing they were to listen to. I, myself, would buy an album of those songs if you recorded them. Of course, not everybody likes Rocky Road ice cream and not everyone enjoys listening to Sinatra. But I happen to like your voice and your soothing delivery. I'm sure there are others like myself.

Now here's the thing. Donny was right when he referred to "stylizing" your singing, giving it a signature, throwing some adventure into the song line, personalizing it.....taking a song and beating it into the ground until you "own" it! You already have a voice to work with. With a little experimenting and a lot of practice in adding some flair to a tune, you just might make it to the Julio Iglesias arena.

But....you DO need to work on your breathing so you can sustain notes and become more versatile with your voice. We went over that already so you know what I'm saying. I believe you said your teacher is keen on you learning to breathe properly also. You'd be amazed about how much excitement you can put into a song when you learn "diaphragm breathing!"

Mark

By the way....you've come a long way since you did "Raining in My Heart"

#390270 - 07/03/14 08:42 AM Re: Colin....YES, you're wasting your money on lessons [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Colin, I don't agree with everything mark says, and I for one benefited from singing lessons, but not so much in vocal quality as I did with learning how to properly breathe, improved diction and phrasing. The gal that was my instructor comes to see me once in a while when I do a nite club job for a friend, and she always tells her friends that she was the one that made me famous. wink

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#390294 - 07/04/14 02:14 AM Re: Colin....YES, you're wasting your money on lessons [Re: Mark79100]
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
Hi Mark

Sorry for the late reply I've been adrift for three weeks.

Still going to lessons crazy

I found this old video of "raining in my Heart" loaded with effects, doubling, harmony you name it LOL

Also a before and after of Fourty Shades of Green

Regards

Col

#390313 - 07/04/14 11:12 PM Re: Colin....YES, you're wasting your money on lessons [Re: travlin'easy]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
If you have confidence in your teacher then you can always learn from them. When you have a good teacher lessons are NEVER a waste of money.

#390347 - 07/06/14 12:12 AM Re: Colin....YES, you're wasting your money on lessons [Re: Nigel]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Nigel
When you have a good teacher

I've seen great musicians, greats singers, great performers, great entertainers, but.......the number of great "teachers" I've seen, I can put on the head of a pin!

Here's how I learned to play the piano after many frustrating piano lessons. I went down to Barnes & Noble and got the book "Piano Playing for Dummies."

I even remember the accordion lessons when I was a kid. The teacher I had for 4 years would use my 30 minutes with him to trim and clean his nails. Never forgot that.

And then there was my four years of vocal lessons. The teacher was a great teacher but used most of my 1/2 hour telling me the latest jokes he heard or would enter in a philosophic monologue. The last 5 minutes of every session was centered on "aaah's" and "ooooh's" going up and down the scale.

I can't say there aren't great teachers, but, unfortunately, I never had one.

Mark

#390353 - 07/06/14 07:55 AM Re: Colin....YES, you're wasting your money on lessons [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I think I would be a good teacher of arranger playing, but no one that I know is interested! Well one guy around here does but I don't like him much. smile

#390383 - 07/07/14 12:07 PM Re: Colin....YES, you're wasting your money on lessons [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
smile

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online